What blocks can interact with logic?

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    if you cover both sides of your doors with area activation blocks , you cant press R on the doors
    Out of curiosity, can crewmembers in build mode still use "R" while sitting directly in a door block, or is the "R" functionality completely removed, even from build mode?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Out of curiosity, can crewmembers in build mode still use "R" while sitting directly in a door block, or is the "R" functionality completely removed, even from build mode?
    build mode still gives access to the doors, but if a crew member can go in to build mode they can also remove any protection you can put on the doors.
    for that situation you would need to use the faction permissin levels to prevent lower rank crew members entering build mode

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Just found out that you can activate / deactivate PlexLifters with logic signals. Not sure of the is any output from the PlexLifters yet.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    also, I think it's less about avoiding daisy chaining and more about trying to get things to activate logic off of interaction, like how this would make opening a door make the lights around the door flash.

This is really easy to achieve, you simply use activation blocks for door opening instead of opening the door directly, and then as said before you use area activation blocks in front of the door to stop it from being able to be manually opened, or simply make the door not public but make the activation block that is connected to the door public.

This also applies to every other situation where you want an output from a non-logic block, such as gravity modules. The answer is you hide the gravity module but connect it to an activation block, the activation block is then daisy chained to whatever reaction you want to happen when you change gravity.

One thing to note about the area activation blocks is that it is impossible to completely cover any door that isn't exactly square, you can see past them where you have wedge blocks:

The only solution I know for this is

1- remove the door that is behind a corner block and replace it with an activation area block
    2- Have thick doors ... If you want to put wedging around the edges do it with a 1 block gap between the actual door and the frame, then place the activation area block behind the wedged door frame:

Any other solutions to this problem are welcome - having doors that are 5 blocks deep so that they can't be opened manually but still have a wedged frame is a little annoying.

Jaaskinal

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    This is really easy to achieve, you simply use activation blocks for door opening instead of opening the door directly, and then as said before you use area activation blocks in front of the door to stop it from being able to be manually opened, or simply make the door not public but make the activation block that is connected to the door public.

This also applies to every other situation where you want an output from a non-logic block, such as gravity modules. The answer is you hide the gravity module but connect it to an activation block, the activation block is then daisy chained to whatever reaction you want to happen when you change gravity.

One thing to note about the area activation blocks is that it is impossible to completely cover any door that isn't exactly square, you can see past them where you have wedge blocks:

The only solution I know for this is

1- remove the door that is behind a corner block and replace it with an activation area block
    2- Have thick doors ... If you want to put wedging around the edges do it with a 1 block gap between the actual door and the frame, then place the activation area block behind the wedged door frame:

Any other solutions to this problem are welcome - having doors that are 5 blocks deep so that they can't be opened manually but still have a wedged frame is a little annoying.
    You seem to have misunderstood my ancient comment. Causing logic to change states off of other blocks changing states is what I meant, not things happening with doors opening.

Reaction score
    You seem to have misunderstood my ancient comment. Causing logic to change states off of other blocks changing states is what I meant, not things happening with doors opening.
    The thing is, there isn't really any block that you'd want to detect state changes that you can't already do it in some way.

For example, while there might be some value to directly knowing if a door itself has opened or closed which you can't do, you can definitely trigger things if someone tries to walk through that door. Also, because area trigger logic doesn't care about faction, if you use it for your public doors, it gives you total control of how doors get used (ie. making people wait for an airlock to cycle). The activator into NOT and AND with a pair of delays (to give a full second to get through the door) between them is by far the most common circuit in every single thing I build. Not just to make doors public, but to make sure not public doors get closed behind me automatically. For those, I just use area detectors only on the inside of the room. Manually open to enter which keeps out non-faction, but then the door will close automatically behind me. And when leaving, it automatically opens and closes.

Docks (ship and turret) can already have activators placed next to them to track if they're in use. There are all kinds of things that make use of that ability.

OR blocks next to storage tell you when items are in a storage block which lets you control autopulls and such. You can't check factories directly, but you can just pull the specific output into storage, use an OR into a pulse limiter into a counter to track how many of an item you've made which can be used to know when to automatically turn off a factory.

Detecting lights being on or off is pointless. If you're just turning on or off lights when you enter a room, you're better off using area detection to handle the lights in the first place, and anything else you want to have happen can chain off that same trigger.

Heck, if you want to brute force push button automated production, you can do it now. Sure, you have to build a lot more factories and enhancers along with all possible links than setting up normally since you need a factory for every item and part you're going to need in your production chains, but it can be done. That'd just be a pulse limited activator into a memory cell to turn all the necessary factories for each button you give yourself. You can then use the above described OR-storage system to count production cycles and shut down when you're done. I'm pretty sure I could even come up with the logic to allow a player to manually enter how many cycles s/he wants to run before shutdown (it will be logic tube spaghetti, but it's not really that complicated).

Jaaskinal

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    The thing is, there isn't really any block that you'd want to detect state changes that you can't already do it in some way.

For example, while there might be some value to directly knowing if a door itself has opened or closed which you can't do, you can definitely trigger things if someone tries to walk through that door. Also, because area trigger logic doesn't care about faction, if you use it for your public doors, it gives you total control of how doors get used (ie. making people wait for an airlock to cycle). The activator into NOT and AND with a pair of delays (to give a full second to get through the door) between them is by far the most common circuit in every single thing I build. Not just to make doors public, but to make sure not public doors get closed behind me automatically. For those, I just use area detectors only on the inside of the room. Manually open to enter which keeps out non-faction, but then the door will close automatically behind me. And when leaving, it automatically opens and closes.

Docks (ship and turret) can already have activators placed next to them to track if they're in use. There are all kinds of things that make use of that ability.

OR blocks next to storage tell you when items are in a storage block which lets you control autopulls and such. You can't check factories directly, but you can just pull the specific output into storage, use an OR into a pulse limiter into a counter to track how many of an item you've made which can be used to know when to automatically turn off a factory.

Detecting lights being on or off is pointless. If you're just turning on or off lights when you enter a room, you're better off using area detection to handle the lights in the first place, and anything else you want to have happen can chain off that same trigger.

Heck, if you want to brute force push button automated production, you can do it now. Sure, you have to build a lot more factories and enhancers along with all possible links than setting up normally since you need a factory for every item and part you're going to need in your production chains, but it can be done. That'd just be a pulse limited activator into a memory cell to turn all the necessary factories for each button you give yourself. You can then use the above described OR-storage system to count production cycles and shut down when you're done. I'm pretty sure I could even come up with the logic to allow a player to manually enter how many cycles s/he wants to run before shutdown (it will be logic tube spaghetti, but it's not really that complicated).
    Yes, but the point remains that you cant activate logic directly off of doors, which is slightly annoying :P
    It can be done, and it can be done fairly easily, but it cant be directly.