What are the generally accepted rules for building on a community server?

Reaction score
    I have some questions about building on public servers. My family recently started playing this game, and we're currently playing on a private server my brother is hosting. At some point, we may take our brood out on to a public server, and I'm wanting to know what is acceptable, so members of my family doesn't get banned for building a blueprint my brother or I designed.

My question is this: Generally, what am I allowed to or not allowed to do when I build a ship/blueprint, and why is this allowed or not allowed?

The reason I'm asking, while reading up on turrets, one author mentioned that five or six on a ship was fine, but a lot (did not define quantity) would get a player banned from most servers. The author did not state why this was so. I find this kind of restriction odd, but have no problem if there is a good reason for it (like lag). I'm looking just to see what is commonly acceptable over the server community. I am not looking to hear the "But I allow/don't allow this on my server" when it runs contrary to what the admin community in general allows. And I'm not looking to start a flame war over what's allowable, either.

Thank you for your time and understanding,

The Crazy Zonie

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen
    well in general dont be a total asshole/ dont build doomcubes/ dont spawn kill/ obey admins/ if an admin says its wrong its right (JK on this one)

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    I'm not really sure how leg inducing turrets are. I've never seen anything terrible come about from extensive use. I wouldn't built anything over 600 meters long unless they have other size regulations.

Zyrr

Chronic Troublemaker
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    For the most part, very little will get you banned when it comes to ship blueprints. Most public servers have very lax restrictions, and even things like "doomcubes" or "systemcubes"; essentially, blocks of systems and weapons, will at most put you on the kill list of a couple unsavoury players.

In terms of turrets and docked entities, most players simply frown upon enormous amounts of them (we'll say 50+ as a general rule; you should be able to determine yourself if your ship has excessive amounts), simply because undocking them can cause lag, and that many entities in a single sector can cause lag as well.

Of course, this is entirely different if you are aiming to play on one of the few remaining roleplaying or "hardcore" servers. I would suggest that either way you look for server-specific rules or simply ask an admin. They shouldn't bite and they would prefer to stop things before they happen if it is truly against the rules.

Cheers.

Reaction score
    Thanks for replying everyone. So, that 600 meter rule, is that a turret or ships in general. (I'm thinking of building a capitol size battleship with spacecraft hanger/runways.)

Also, please forgive my ignorance. What are the definition of death cubes and system cubes? And would a box with an array of salvage lasers qualify?

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    600 meters applies to anything. I say 600 because that was the limits of the station contest we had a while back for stations currently in game. It may well be certainly acceptable to build over 1 kilometer in length if the server allows it. I'd just ask.

Death cubes are ships shaped as a cube that have no hull and are comprised only of systems. The equivalent of a cobblestone cube house in minecraft. It's ugly and becoming of people that don't take the game seriously such as griefers.

Even with your first ship, it doesn't take much effort to at least look like you enjoy building and playing.