weird question: How are planet names generated?

Reaction score
    How are the stars, planets and black holes named?

What algorithm? Is there a list of names before combination? Any way to modify it? This might seem uninteresting but I'd really like to know so I can mod them. Thanks.

Advance apologies for doublethreading

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    Yea, there is a list; systemnames.syl it can be opened in a text editor.
    Syllables and i think a prefix / suffix rule.

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Councillor Gold
    I came across a system named something like "Fagassious" at one point, y'all might wanna take a look at that list again.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Any dynamic naming system is eventually going to have something... awkward. If not in the host language, someone is going to find something in another language.

Example: The universe, including planet names were generated dynamically from a seed number in the original game "Elite". The devs worked hard to make sure there weren't any embarrassing planet or species names. They looked as hard as they could, but eventually, you gotta release your creation into the wild. Not too terribly long after release, someone found the planet "Arse" in the 5th (of 7) galaxy of the game.

Reaction score
    Any dynamic naming system is eventually going to have something... awkward. If not in the host language, someone is going to find something in another language.

Example: The universe, including planet names were generated dynamically from a seed number in the original game "Elite". The devs worked hard to make sure there weren't any embarrassing planet or species names. They looked as hard as they could, but eventually, you gotta release your creation into the wild. Not too terribly long after release, someone found the planet "Arse" in the 5th (of 7) galaxy of the game.
    Reminds me of Papers, Please. Due to the system of naming one of the possible names for one of the prostitute characters was...Anita Sarkeesian. There was a lot of rational and sane responses to that.

Thanks for your replies! Except Gamel.

Reaction score
    The first one making the planet made of the syllables "ga", "lli", "frey" disappear wins my personal approval!!

Reaction score
    I came across a system named something like "Fagassious" at one point, y'all might wanna take a look at that list again.
    Heh - they should stick with "safe" realistic names, like Uranus. :D