Weird normal map rendering

Reaction score
    Edit: Nevermind. After spending hours this evening because StarMade would show the exact face layout of the model for another texture, I found out that also in this case it was simply an error in the normal map. I don't know why normalizing the relevant parts didn't show anything. I'd suspect floating point errors, but that does only make limited sense. Maybe some PNG speciality I don't know about. Fixed it by selecting similar colors and filling everything with this ugly 0-normal blue.

No, this is in no way related to the thread I posted a few days ago.

I noticed that StarMade is displaying weird pixels on blocks. This does only happen when normal maps are turned on. The properties of these pixels seem to depend on the texture resolution. Take a look at the following pictures:
    • Notice these light pixels on my custom hull texture? They seem to be approximately four times larger than the pixels on the texture.
      starmade-screenshot-0054.png
    • The Grey Hull in the Pixel pack does have weird pixels too, but they're larger. (My textures are 256 in size, the Pixel pack is 64)
      starmade-screenshot-0055.png
    • The Hardened Hull does have them too.
      starmade-screenshot-0056.png

I did normalize all affected normal maps to see if there are any pixels I couldn't see with my bare eyes. Turns out, the normal maps of the Pixel pack do indeed have random pixel patterns on them, but none that would correspond to the ones you can see in the pictures. My normal maps are clean of any noise.

So, why does it do that?

For the sake of completeness: Fedora 20, proprietary nvidia drivers

Last edited:

AndyP

Customer Experience Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    As this is the same 'deep' level into textures, I cannot help you directly.
    I only 'point' the others on that.

Andy summons level 22 kupu and level 11 Crusade . o_O

- Andy

Last edited by a moderator: