Weekly challenges- community driven

lupoCani

First Citizen
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Seing that the original weekly challenge system died for unnknown reasons, but considering the idea desireable, I decided to try and put it in the hands of the community. I belive it would work best as follows:

Every week two treads will be created- the weekly challenge and the "upcoming challenge discussion". The former will be used for submitting materials to the competition and the latter for deciding next week's challenge. Both will be decided by a public vote.

I will be administrating the competition, but I will have no actual power over neither the choice of winner or next challenge. The rules will be flexible, and changed should there be sufficient support for it. Refrain from creating the threads for this project unless I am more than 24 hours late in doing so, Central european daylight saving time, and you consider youself familiar with the workings of the project.

When making a submission, tag your post topic with [submission], and put in the post the neccesary materials to demonstrate your project.

When suggesting a challenge, tag your post topic with [suggestion], and state your idea.

When voting, tag your post with [vote] state the current scores, and assign a +1 to the submission you vote for. Should you already have voted, but want to recast your vote, assign a -1 to your earlier choice.

Does ths seem reasonabe to everyone? Is there even a general desire for this to exist? If there is a positive enough response to this topic, I will assume so, and create the first threads at the end of the week. If not, or there is an active disapproval from the forum administration, I suppose I'll just let it die. It's up to you.

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Councillor Gold
    Did you ask BB or any of the other devs/staff about this? I\'m not really sure you have the authority to do this.

lupoCani

First Citizen
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Well, why would the community need authority to organize a competative event? Remember, I\'m not trying to \"take over\" the old event, just organize something identical in the meantime. It\'s nothing official, nor does it claim to be.

That aside, would you support this?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I too thought about just making a community driven weekly challenge while at work and was about to post the idea in here when I say your post. I definitely support and would like to help out even, I have a few ideas on how to run a balanced challange system, also I suspect the original died as they simply were busy doing other more important game related things.

lupoCani

First Citizen
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Great. Could you Pm me those ideas of which you speak?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    I mentioned in a previous thread about the weekly challenges being short lived that the community could organize their own weekly challenges. There wasnt a reply to my post so i figured there wernt too many like minded people out there, but its good that i was wrong. Anyway, i would like to help out but dont have much time throughout the week however i could spare a few hours on the weekend.

Also, have you given any thought as to what prizes would be given to the winners? I for one would participate in the challenges out of a love for the game, and perhaps prestige alone would be enough to motivate people to compete

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    LupoCani and I are discussing these types of things right now, and we are basically setting it up, I excpect that we should be able to start the first weekly challange next week. We are looking into what we can do to promote and encourage participation and one of the ideas is to use a youtube channel to promote the winners along with a winners thread which would announce and showcase winners from each week.

There are other ideas bouncing around but we don\'t want to say too much until the first challenge because we are still planning it all out.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    The first weekly challenge (community run) will begin on 8/19/13 and last until the end of the week!

Voting for the winners will be done by the community and will happen on the weekend of each week. While you can submit your entry on the weekend its highly encouraged you do it during the week days!

While we do not currently have the power to give out any \"real\" prizes we are talking over a few things in the future and we can atleast give the winners recognition as a winner. (More on this as the Challenge approaches.)

I have private messaged Beetlebear and we are currently pending official approval, however unless explicitly told not to, these challenges will happen every week from this point on. :)

Any other Questions? Feel free to ask!

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Councillor Gold
    I talked to BB a while back about this and he specifically told me that if prizes are involved it doesn\'t belong in weekly challenges, and you should email the marketing department for starmade. I don\'t remember what the email was but I really want to say it was [email protected]

MrFURB

Madman of the Girders
    Reaction score
    I can\'t wait to participate in some of these! ...Or get stomped, either way.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Why the hell would they have to talk to anybody to get any kind of approval for a community organized weekly challenge competition? And why would schema and beetlebear even care if prizes are given to the winners? It\'s not like they are the ones providing them.

About it not belonging in weekly challenges if prizes are given, thats easily fixed by moving the topic to announcements. I assume that\'s what you\'re talking about.

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Councillor Gold
    Look man, I\'m just telling you what BB told me. The competition itself needs no approval; my concern comes from the posting in the weekly challenges section. When I asked BB about it he told me exactly what I said in the post you replied to.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    @Comr4de, We do not mean prizes in the traditional sense, and to be honest they most likely won\'t have any real value, but things like maybe creating a Hall of Fame, having the winner\'s design used in a weekly event as well. (This is something I\'m excited about but don\'t want to reveal until Monday), and other things of that nature.

@MrFURB I\'m glad to hear it! To be honest It\'s hard to wait till Monday for me and I\'m running the thing! (LoL)

EDIT, If needed we can move it to announcements... but nothing has been said yet... so.... I\'m going to go ahead and leave it here, If something is said I\'ll gladly cooperate.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Move it to announcements. Right next to the thunderdome posts.

And i apologize for jumping down your throat. I missunderstood you to mean they needed to contact marketing for an ok.