wedge and other slabs(elaborated)

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    wedge slabs.png

thats just a basic example for what i would like to see. if added these would probably be sized based on height. width. length and angle(and possibly thickness like a thin wedge). with it you would be able to create 4 and two long slopes adding massive amounts of detail to ships. when this update i was kind of surpised how usefull these slabs were especilly in the making of turrets and ship interiors.

the addition of these wedge and other slabs i heard was coming but just wanted to put this here to help.

while this would not be a neccisary update i'de say it would certainly improve construction possibilities

Edit: and yes i also know that i have already put a suggestion for this down and others probably have too. but i felt the need to elaborate with ahelpfull image

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Unfortunately, you wont be able to stack two half-blocks in to the same space without having to completely re-code the game. A half-block still has the data of a whole block's space, and is used in collisions, weight, armor, hp, etc. And if you DID re-code armor and hp values so two blocks could share a space, you would be punishing anyone who used 45 degree angles on their ships and encourage blocky designs. Aesthetically it may be great, but gameplay and code-wise it's a nightmare to have 2 different blocks be able to share a single "blockspace"

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I'm not sure if the OP is talking about multiple blocks in the same space, but more likely multi-faceted single blocks, made up of simpler shapes.

E.g.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    yeah pretty much that and while with the way the game works i know that you cant put two blocks on the same tile and they might not even be able to add it. the only use for putting multiple on a single block location is furniture. but thtese need shaped and multi faceted blocks would make small ships have more internal room while improving the detail. and it massivly improves the possibilities with turrets. they dont really have to have the hitbox of their size becaue i dont think it will really get used that way that often. and lets be honest. who really needs detailed furnature

Reaction score
    yeah pretty much that and while with the way the game works i know that you cant put two blocks on the same tile and they might not even be able to add it. the only use for putting multiple on a single block location is furniture. but thtese need shaped and multi faceted blocks would make small ships have more internal room while improving the detail. and it massivly improves the possibilities with turrets. they dont really have to have the hitbox of their size becaue i dont think it will really get used that way that often. and lets be honest. who really needs detailed furnature
    Sorry for the bump, but couldn't they just create new IDs for every permutation of these 'stacked' blocks and call it a day? Think of it as the slab stacking in minecraft where you can add a half slab to make a full slab, but in starmade you would be capping a 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 slab with a certain 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 wedge respectively. I know they are trying to save memory by reducing the overall amount of block IDs but it would be a simple solution to a complex feature. Even if the memory taken up by the extra specific IDs is too much, surely it wouldn't be that hard to create a dynamic system that can allow concatenation of two or more blocks. Physics shouldn't be an issue considering it wouldn't have to calculate for collisions of a non-cube, and the only thing that would have to be taken into consideration is combination of masses?

Any experienced java coders or devs willing to give an opinion of this idea?

Reaction score
    The 4 length wedge could work with slab slider. Pretty sure it was brought up before but its a good idea