Weapons/systems streamline

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Our weapons system is based on two different generations of game design. In the beginning there was the AMC and the salvage beam. They were elegant systems for a simpler age. Now we have a proliferation of weapons, subsystems, effects and all.

Recently I felt inspired to build a Tug. I wanted a non-damaging push beam. The system wouldn't let me. I've had a couple similar ideas where I felt frustrated by the fact that systems seemed to assume I wanted to damage something.

So let's throw the assumptions out. If this is a sandbox, let's make it all out of sand.

Delivery systems: Have no effect on their own, except possibly to create a pretty light show The delivery systems can still reinforce each-other just like they do now.
    • Cannon
    • Beam
    • Pulse
    • Missile

Now, add and combine effects, maybe any two of the following?:
    • Damage
    • Repair
    • Salvage
    • Piercing
    • Explosive
    • EMP
    • Punch Through
    • Stop
    • Push /Pull
    • Ion
    • Overdrive
    • Power Charge / Drain
    • Shield Charge / Drain
    • Jump Charge / Drain
    • Logic Activate?
    • Transport?
    • Scanner? (might allow targeting of specific blocks within a structure)
    While we're at it, maybe make Bobby a bit smarter? We could tell him to target:
    • Where I target
    • Enemies
    • Unshielded Enemies
    • Friendlies
    • Unshielded friendlies
    • Asteroids
    • Damaged blocks

Thoughts?

Reactions: alterintel

alterintel

Reaction score
    • Likeable
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I like it :)

thought...
    What if you could include any effect not just one or two?
    it would just be a percentage based on the other effects included. Or even better the delivery system only needs one block, and the percentages are only based on the effects?

Reactions: GaeasSon
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    In simplicity is beauty.
    Your suggestion isn´t bad, but it is more complex than the current system and you achieve almost the same result.
    However I do like your ideas on how to make bobby smarter. Some of them are really good and could change the game a lot, but I have no clue if all of them are possible to implement in some elegant way.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Maybe I'm thinking about it incorrectly. Maybe we could have a "nodamage" effect to convert AMC, Damage Pulse, damage beam and missiles into non-hostile utility systems.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    On further thought: There may be other ways to simplify and streamline systems by combining effects:
    (by "simplify" I mean keeping or increasing variety of effects with fewer types of blocks)

Damage + Pull = Replaces Salvage (when directed at asteroids and derelicts)
    Ion + Pull = Shield Drain
    EMP + Pull = Energy Drain

Jump Suppression: Rather than being a whole other subsystem, perhaps this should just be a secondary computer connected to your jump drive. (essentially you are using your own jump-system to de-stabilize the transpacial interface in your area.)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Tester
    • Legacy Citizen
    Sounds like an overhaul, and in that case I would say condense all weapons into one controller block with an interface that you select the weapon characteristics within, and the modules for the weapons all condensed into just "projector blocks".

example:

1. place weapon controller block
    2. place projector blocks
    3. link using c and v
    4. press r on weapon controller to open interface
    5. within the weapon controller interface are options to select main projection method, support , and effect, as well as the proportion of influence of the secondary and effect slots
      • main projection method would contain all "weapon" types this includes the salvage beam, power supply/drain, shield supply/drain, astrotech, and the normal ones, cannon, damage beam, damage pulse, missile
      • support selection would be context sensitive to what was selected for the main projection method it replaces the assigned secondary slot in the current system
      • effect replaces the function of the tertiary slot in the current system
    If necessary to limit the function of the computer make it require "chip" meta items to enable whatever weapon or effect in that computer.