Weapons pointing towards

Reaction score
    I would like to see a big ship acctualy having guns pointing to the right or left instead of having them pointing forwards. Cause it is the fighter style to have frontmounted weapons and not a battleships job.
    Ofcourse are there some battleships with frontmounted weapons but it is just a thing that has to be done!

Like in the movies(Sci-fi) big ships usualy have guns mounted on the side of the ship so it would be side of 1 ship vs 1 side of the other.

http://www.stardestroyer.net/Empire/Tactics/Frigates.jpg

This picture should explain what I mean.

And the missiles would be cool to shoot from +y axsis or even the -y axsis so that they first went a little up then towards the target!

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-TBwAl0ph1Xk/UEv-hq9ZL9I/AAAAAAAAP5A/LYeHppSwjrM/s1600/Type%2B054A%2BJiangkai-II%2Bclass%2Bfrigate%2Bof%2Bthe%2BPeople%2527s%2BLiberation%2BArmy%2BNavy%2B%2528PLA%2BNavy%2529%2Btest%2Bfires%2BHQ-16%2Bsurface%2Bto%2Bair%2Bmissile%2Bduring%2Ban%2Bexercise%2B%25282%2529.jpg

And please... Let it just be lazors and rockets that can do this or else it would be a spinning ball fireing towards all directions!

1 more thing though. The camera should be able to turn so you can acctualy see what you are fighting and if you are even hitting.

Writing this at 08:43 am and I havent slept for a while. Just a random idea that appeared!
    Positive feedback is welcome and dont hesitate to point out better ideas from this :)

Edit; If there would be frontmounted guns, maybe they should be in big quantities which equals in high damage?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Side mounted weapons are pretty pointless on fighters and battleships alike. Having to aim sideways while not really seeing the enemy seems like a bad idea. In fact, most side mounted weapons on ships are actually turrets. And those already exist.

Being able to look sideways is something that really should be possible though.

AtraUnam

Maiden of crashes
    Reaction score
    • Railman Gold
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    If you rotate your weapons computer then the weapons will fire in whatever direction you rotated it in. Then you can use a rotated SD cockpit to actually see where you are aiming.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    If you rotate your weapons computer then the weapons will fire in whatever direction you rotated it in.

In sunworld, some newbe complained about his weapons shooting in the wrong direction. If I would have known this earlier - or he.

It should be in the weapon cpu description.

Reaction score
    Side mounted weapons would be pretty handy if you could hook up an AI module to them and let them fire by themselves while you control everything facing forward. Turrets are okay but they take up a lot of space and it\'s pretty complicated to put them inside of ships.

Reaction score
    Fighters with sidemounted weapons are not what I meant! Bigger ships should be the ones using it.
    The side of a ship is the strongest side because you can fit alot more into it than frontmounted weaponry and I do not intent to fit 50 box turrets to have maximum efficency cause it is laggy!

Alot of ships will render useless when they find a good balance between enginepower, mass and that turrets and docked ships count as mass aswell!

You can rotate your camera quickly by holding a button down on your keyboard for an example.
    It would give you more awareness of a battle and attacks from all directions.

Reaction score
    Does not work with rockets AtraUnam :(
    I mean, it would look cool right? And would bring more real gameplay into the game.
    Big ships with frontmounted guns are just weird,

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    It would be nice for weapons to shoot the direction they point!

My first original build included side mounted homing missile batteries. This was designed to launch when surrounded by fighters or drones. Was surprised to see the missiles shoot forward through the structure of the ship.

I will try to change the direction of my CPU, Thanks

Reaction score
    When I change the direction of my CPU on the rockets nothing happends. Tell me if it worked for you :>

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Didn\'t work for me either - I originally wanted to have a fairly large pair of seeker missile launchers that fire out from the side ports before flying towards the target. Instead they just fired through the hull, as usual.

Reaction score
    Same here. We might aswell see what the future brings cause I am sure it is considered.

AtraUnam

Maiden of crashes
    Reaction score
    • Railman Gold
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Wired for Logic Gold
    I only ever tried it with amcs, or maybe it was a bug in previous versions that is now fixed.