Weapon type overhaul, armor, and system debuffs. And while I'm at it, may as well talk about Jump D

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Armor

It needs a buff to make it worthwhile for anything more then stopping a single shot from anything larger then a 50k fighter ship (or for just making a ship look good).

Weapons (missiles).

These could use a bit of an overhaul. To start with, they tend to be both too powerful (against unshielded things) and too slow (even if you don't increase the speed limit past 50).

Torpedo: Slow, unguided, has the largest explosion radius. Replaces current dumbfire, and has slightly greater radius then current missiles, per weapon block.

IFF missile (or just call it heat seeking still): Should be very fast and deal a good bit of damage. However, it has short range and very low explosive radius, so if it hits an unshielded ship (assuming it is launched by a large fighter sized ship) it only takes out blocks in a radius of 2 or 3. Targets only the ship that is currently targeted, and stops homing if the ship moves out of say 20 or 30 degrees of the missile's direction.

Lock-on missile. Not too much different from current, but increase the speed a bit. Does a decent bit of damage and is very long range. Has larger explosive radius then the IFF missile, but still not as much as it currently has.

Other options: Once the basic missiles are sorted, we can consider looking more at new types. Lets get the current missiles properly dealt with though first.

Weapons (guns):

First off, an "alternate fire" mode of sorts could be an interesting idea to play around with. I'll go into what this could entail for each gun, but its important to note that these weapon ideas do not actually need it. Perhaps toggling it by hitting a button or right clicking or something. Also, accuracy is something required for these ideas to function properly. Current guns are 100% accurate, with no firing error angle whatsoever. They go where you point exactly.

Railgun: Hull damage: 200%. Shield damage: 50%. Long range, moderate projectile speed, high damage, slow refire. Other attributes: more powerful ones have an explosive radius. A large capital ship's main cannon may have an explosion with as much as a 3 block radius.

Alternate fire: toggles sniper mode, which loads blocks further in the distance then normal, increases projectile speed, and refire delay greatly, and damage to a lesser extent.

Blasters/fusion cannons. In other words, this is a renamed AMC (I just don't like the name personally, feel free to flame me). 100% shield and hull damage. Medium range, low damage, high refire rate, and medium-low accuracy. Has a fast projectile speed. A standard gun for a standard ship. Special attribute: 1% of weapon damage passes through shields (partly because we need an excuse to actually make repair ships and partly because it lets a tiny fighter leave a few smudges on a large warship's armor which is just cool).

Alternate fire: Greatly increases power consumption and refire rate, but also greatly increases the firing error, to the point where you literally might not be able to consistantly hit the broadside of a barn (or barn-shaped spacecraft).

Ion Cannon. 200% shield damage, 50% hull damage. Medium range, medium damage, medium refire rate, medium-high accuracy. Special attribute: hits to the hull cause a debuff to energy regeneration for a few seconds, and also deal some damage to the current energy pool.

Alternate fire: charges for 1 or 2 seconds, then fires a large, very slow moving ion blast. This blast does increased damage, and will completely disable weapons and engines of the target for a time calculated based on the cannon's power and the target's size, and regardless of whether shields are up. A fighter attacking a large ship won't even stop it for a second. A massive main ion cannon on a large ship could leave the fighter kaput for 10-15 seconds though if it were somehow able to hit it. Once the ion cannon uses this mode, it overheats and is unable to be fired again (even normally) for a short time, as if it were a missile reloading.

Plasma Beams (yes, I am a Freespace 2 fan, and yes this weapon will be quite similar). These weapons would seem overpowered at first glance. They travel to a target instantaneously, hit it very rapidly, and pass through shields, completely ignoring them. The downsides: Prior to firing, it must charge several seconds. It then fires continuously for a short time. Then, it must cool down ("reload"), before it can be charged again. Additionally, it has short range, high energy requirements and does quite low damage. At least compared to a different gun of the same size. The size you could mount on a fighter might burn through 1 block at best (if you could keep it focussed on that one block for the entirety of its firing period).

Alternate Fire: Greatly overcharges the weapon. Damage and range is increased a good bit. Weapon will not stop firing until you either release the button, run out of energy, or the weapon is destroyed. Speaking of which, while using this alternate fire, the weapon's blocks, along with any blocks in the general vicinity of them, will rapidly and randomly take damage as if you had flown into a sun. So while this is very powerful, it also can hurt you quite badly (and even if you design a ship purposely for "safe" use of it, you may not be able to fire it at full power more then once).

System Debuffs: Effectively something to better encourage the use of armor or better positioning of internal components (and use of armor, period, especially if armor gets buffed as the first suggestion asks). Put simply, if a system block is destroyed, that system suffers a temporary failure. This temporary failure only affects the group the block was part of, so if you have three seperate "engines" and lose a block in one of them, only that one engine stops working for a second or two. The other two engines still function and supply their thrust for the duration the damaged engine is offline (some fraction of a second per block destroyed in that block-group).

Suggestions for a better "debuff" system would be appreciated. The basic idea is to make aiming for a subsystem something to go for. As well as encouraging people to design a ship to be more redundant, or at least not block everything together in a single bunch.

Warp/Jump drive: Yes, the idea that gets brought up every single day by people. Its pretty much guarenteed that we will get it eventually, so here are some ideas on implimenting it reasonably.

Useage: input sector coordinates into the nav menu, and engage the jump drive. You will teleport there instantly if its in range. Well, instantly after the drive is powered up. When you engage the jump drive, you must first charge the jump drive. During this period of time, your engines, shields, manuevering, and weapons are disabled. For a typical non-specially-designed ship, this will be anywhere from 5-20 seconds, taking longer the larger the ship is. The idea is that it would make it a bad idea to perform a jump in combat, unless you were pretty certain to die if you fought regardless.

Charge time is based upon how many jumpdrive/warpcore (whichever you wish to call it) blocks you have, scaled against the size of your ship. Range of your jump system is based upon how many jump/warp blocks you have, but is NOT scaled against the size of your ship (it may incur some diminishing returns though). The idea here is that a large ship can intrinsically jump farther in one go then a small warp-enabled fighter, making a large jump carrier, or perhaps a "hyperspace ring" ship with a docking port for a fighter, a good way to move ships around.

Warp in general will also encourage people to not fuss over the relatively slow speed limit of space currently. It would also let people meet up MUCH easier. Particularly considering their tendency to go "minecraft style" and build their base 50 sectors from spawn out of fear of it being trashed. Yes, this is a problem. You rather rarely see on a typical server people actually being able to get together very easily, aside from a faction's members just building ships at the same base, or being able to find some nuts looking for a fight near spawn.

Well, there they are, my variation on several suggestions (at least two of which have been suggested in some form a good deal, even if the details weren't usually as fleshed out). Critize me to hell.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I\'ve been looking at the current argument between people who like smaller class vessels, and people who like larger ones, and the fact is neither group will win. Mostly because the stuff suggested here, simply doesn\'t exist in the game yet. For example the effectiveness of hardened hull should be drastically increased. That being said this still could piss off people who like flying smaller ships since there missles would do less damage to larger ships. I also like the plasma beam idea. Although I would like it to be more like the asgards plasma pulse beam from stargate. (It would really be op then though.)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Would be great at breaking the stats dominated balance. Sure, a bigger ship will always be better, but weapon and defense variety will put combat dynamics in a more flexible position, where there will be effective measures and tactics to counter certain situations.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I think some of the problems the game is experiencing is simply from the state that it\'s in. Because it\'s in alpha, many features have not yet been implemented and the infrastructure is simply incomplete for certain aspects of the game. If there was more than two types of weapons shields,I think poeple wouldn\'t be going through the massive shield argument they are going through now. Speaking of that, I think the shield system would be better off if you needed a subsystem computer for it, and there were different types. So some with high regen some with low. Some with high capacity, so on and so forth. Give everything a different flavor. I\'m just not sure how some of the things in this post would work in game. Namely stuff like the alternate fire.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    It is safe to assume that as we near beta, or by the time we are partway through beta, we will start getting new weapons and such. I just figured I\'d put all my personal thoughts with regards to the more commonly requested new things in a single topic.

It would be nice to see some of these things getting considered though, after they deal with bug fixes, some more inventory-holding items, and them getting the first \"personal items\" implimented (the apparent order of the next couple things they plan to tackle based on the starter\'s built-in blog thing).

The idea I feel is the best thing to focus on in the short term after that would be the jump drive/warp core and armor boosts though. Armor is easy enough to modify existing files for, so that could be done easily enough as a side-thought to another patch. The warp core/jump drive idea will make it much easier to actually enjoy the presence of other players on a server, not to mention make it less annoying when people try to put a faction base 50 clicks from spawn. Speaking of, faction home base coordinates shouldn\'t be publicly listed in the faction screen.

Of course, always keep in mind mercenary maxim 14: \"Mad Science\" means never stopping to ask \"what\'s the worst thing that could happen?\" Which is why when you consider warp, you must consider a means of making it such that players can\'t abuse it to hell and back (most noteably, by easily warping away from a fight). In my case, I simply deemed that warping ought to require a charge-up time during which you can\'t turn, use engines or weapons, and your shields go offline. Other methods of balancing warp useage could be used, but I don\'t like any of the ones I\'ve heard. Disabling warp after taking any damage for some time would mean you can\'t at least attempt to run away. It should be viable to run away with a teleport mechanic, it should merely be risky and potentially costly to do so is all, such that if possible you would prefer to use normal engines to get away first.

For people who don\'t like the idea of their fighter\'s missiles doing less damage to a large ship (by block count), they just need to switch out to dumbfires (which would now be torpedoes) which wouldn\'t be nerfed in the explosion department. In effect, they would become torpedo bombers. It is already quite viable to just ram a ship and launch your missiles upon getting its shields down, particularly on servers with an increased speed limit. The proposed nerf to the homing missiles explosion radius is just to make up for them being likely to actually hit their targets at longer ranges.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    I really like this idea, not only for the diversity that it would be bound to bring, but for another factor. I really dislike the fact that one person can build a massive Titan and kill everyone all on their own. The diversity in weapons and changes in game mechanics would encourage people to use an actual crew for their ship. We would see multiple people manning different weapons systems instead of one person controlling them all. Also, with the buffing of armor, it would actually be effective for large cruisers to deploy small fighters with repair beams to fix up damaged hull parts. Lastly, it would really help in making battles more interesting, with many more tactics being used, the ability for cruisers to deploy fighters to try and hit a weak spot, disabling a critical system; and lastly, the prospect of reinforcements warping in just in time to save the day - or end it.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    To be honest, for what you are wanting this would actually be a slightly better suggestion.

http://star-made.org/content/turret-computer-and-docking-computer-blocks-also-signs

Basically, the idea is that a new block would allow one to take control of a turret without having to go out to it and entering it. Crewed ships will be somewhat hard to take off until we can easily hop around between things as needed. And the suggestion in this other topic means you can do that with turrets in addition to standard weapons systems.

Reaction score
    There is no \"normal\" render distance , only default settings that anyone can change. Players with better computer specs have an advantage , seeing farther without lagging. You can\'t use that variable for game balance.

It is also silly as there\'s no point aiming at any part of the ship besides the core , which is always tagged up to 2 sectors away with no radar jammer.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Render distance is set based on specs. If you were zoom in, your angle of view is reduced, which means you can increase view distance temporarily without increasing the number of blocks that need to be loaded into memory. I\'ve seen other games that actually use this sort of mechanic. Also, this somewhat assumes that by the time these weapon ideas can be considered, the game will be substantially more efficient and less alpha then it is now, and view distances may no longer be such a concern.

As for ways to help that aside from improving efficiency... Well, if there were some way to quickly generate a \"low res\" model of a ship or something client-side, that could be used for long distances I guess (or for situations in which a large number of objects are around). That is to say, a blocky ship stand-in which does not show any visible changes to damage or being modified. Until either you get close enough, or until few enough objects are around such that the game can afford to load and display an object fully (this would actually happen in combat a lot since it tends to occur with a small number of ships fighting each other away from stations or other objects).

As for the core, there are topics suggesting fixes for that issue already. Including this one actually:

http://star-made.org/content/new-core-health-mechanic

Reaction score
    Excellent suggestions, wouldn\'t change a bit, however, for a bit more balancing on the warping/jumping, perhaps a beacon of sort is required in the place you wish to warp to. this would stop people from aimlessly warping to a random sector to have a war or something, and on the sub-topic of war, there should be something that can distrupt warps in a 5 sector radius (or 10\"km\" radius).

other than that, i really hope these suggestions get read through!

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Sounds cool actually. As described, it should be station-only though. We could actually use some station-only sorts of systems.

On the note of a beacon though, it seems uneccessary if we limit range per-jump to some extent. Actually, putting that together with my previous statement, we can afford to limit jumps a bit more if there were also a jump-gate feature that allowed for longer range ones (perhaps only to other gates). The way it would work, I would guess, would be that any ship with at least two of its dimensions equal or less then the jump gate station\'s \"system cross\" (similar to the crosses used for turrets and docking points) can use the gate for a longer range, gate-specific jump (gates would not be generated randomly, so would only exist if players built one). Two or less so a long ship can jump using a gate that is wider and taller then it is, even if its not longer. Gates would also have a relatively high energy requirement, to persuade players not to build them into their main stations, and if sufficient energy generation were not available the gate would not allow ships to use it.

But yeah, there have been plenty of ideas for long-range gates before. Thought I\'d throw my two cents in as to how the mechanics of them probably ought to work though.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    i think that the heat seeking missile will go to the powe plant or other part of the ship that make heat and will kill the ship as in having no power or somthing

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    If a ship is moving forwards, a missile locked on to the exact center of the ship end up following behind and hitting the rear anyway. All that adding this more realistic heat seaking system adds is a good deal more complexity to the code. In missiles that currently have trouble even properly emulating the seeking pattern of those in space combat games 15+ years old.

On a side note, anyone see that update text? The pulse thing that was added apparently uses an entirely new effects system to which more can be added as need be. So it is now theoretically viable to start putting in other effects like system debuffs from damage, or weapons with special traits.

Also, apparently dumbfire missiles now are twice as damaging as the others, though that may or may not also affect radius (haven\'t gotten latest update myself yet). It looks like the Starmade crew are starting to look into things they can do with weapons as their side project while working on the inventory system. So who knows, we may well start seeing some more weapons as things progress!

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I\'ve known for a bit that placing a weapons computer sideways allows for a person who gets into said computer to fire shots sideways. However, they will fire forward like usual if you use them from the (forward-facing) ship core, making them only viable for use in that manner if you were to go for a multi-person crewed vessel.

When I saw the patch notes, I had for a moment thought that he had made it such that sideways facing computers would fire sideways even when controlled from the core, but I seem to have been wrong (at least for the version before the two hotfixes).

While being able to fire sideways would be of somewhat limited use with current gameplay restrictions, it would be interesting if gameplay eventually took a bit more of a space combat game turn. For instance, having forward momentum shift along with the direction you point, while having less power for strafing, like many game series did (i.e. wing commander, X-wing vs tie fighter, Freespace), and for larger ships having options available to look in a direction other then where you are facing. It may not be realistic, but then neither are cube-based worlds only kilometers apart and having drag in space at all. Slap on a firing arc limit for weapons, and you could have weapons that face different directions be viable for combat with capital ships. Even moreso if you were to put directional shields in as well (i.e. having 6 different shield banks, depending on which side the ship is hit).

In fact, directional shields would allow better balance between small and large ships as well, since large ships could turn around to expose different sides to other large ships, which would come with the undiminished shields on that side (while the damaged or breached shields on the other side have a chance to regenerate). And allowing weapons with long cooldowns mounted facing that direction to be fired while the ones on a different side are still cooling down. A ship a bit smaller will be at a disadvantage. But a ship that is enough smaller to be manueverable enough to stay on one side of the larger ship at all times would have an advantage since it only needs to worry about facing one direction\'s shields and weapons banks. Of course, if the ship is TOO small, it won\'t have sufficient firepower and shields to last against the larger ship, so its a balance between being small enough to stay on the \"weakest side\" despite the larger ship\'s desires otherwise, and being large enough to be able to pound your way through the shields and do damage.