Weapon/Shield/Power Tiers - Fighters Make a Comeback

Reaction score
    I want to make small ships viable. Right now within an hour or more everyone already has larger ships and fighters become obsolete. In order to make them viable I was hoping to create a tiered weapon, shield and power system.

Basically like this:
    Advanced Cannon Computer
    Advanced Cannon - x10 damage/power x15 Resource Cost.

Advanced Shield ... - x10 Recharge/Power x15 Resource Cost.
    and so on...

Right now though it doesn't seem I can use the server configs to do this unless I am missing some files somewhere.

I was hoping this would allow us to create smaller ships that are more powerfull.

Any ideas if I need to create MOD for this or if it is just possible by editing some server side files?

Thank you for any help from anyone!

CyberTao

鬼佬
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive
    You should try poking the block editor for making new blocks, the configs only change existing ones. Block editor is on the 2nd launch screen (settings and such) under Modding at the top last I looked.

Reaction score
    Nope nothing in there is capable of doing what I am thinking. I was editing all those files manually that the block editor does anyways. There has to be a file that writes out what Cannon does.. Whatever file relates Cannon to WEAPON_ID is probably the file I need to edit but I cannot find it anywhere.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    As far as I know right know you can't do anything like that. I tried as well.

The blockBehaviorConfig.xml have everything what you need for that, but you can't add new blocks. The problem is that every block has its own unique tag, instead of just the block categories, even if their inner tags are the same. With a real Extensible Markup Language we could add as many custom blocks as we want, specifying only their category, and connecting their block ID in an attribute or subtag.

I came up with the tiered weapons idea when I was thinking about the current richness of the galaxies. By adding a lot of new mineral types that could be used to make cannons, shields, or even jump drives with different base stats would motivate the people to explore more systems, because they couldn't find all the best raw materials on one planet.

So I think the idea is good, but the key shouldn't be to spend more resources, rather to use rarer or even unique ones.