Read by Council Weapon Range Block Scaling

Reaction score
    One of the big reasons I avoid cube and square roots: multiplication is significantly more CPU intensive than addition and subtraction functions.
    That seems very reasonable. Now I just wait until StarMade allows significant increases in client RAM.

First off, scanners exist.
    Has anyone been able to test activating and deactivating Radar Jammers? I don't have any way of testing this, but maybe reactivating jammers would nullify the effect of scanners. There should probably be a function that increases time to reset jammers if scanned or automatic deactivation of jammers. I would imagine a first strike advantage is already extremely significant as in chess, so I don't worry about that too much.

You do realize that larger cannons (and thus ones with longer range) did LESS damage per block than a small cannon in the old system, right?
    I never said I had good memory. But they could still had massive range to make up for it, which I thought it was the range that was the problem.

No, weapons with ranges beyond 2 sectors are useless because the game only loads a 3x3x3 box of sectors around the sector. The only thing that can use weapons with a range beyond 2 sectors are turrets.
    I would imagine that the max range two ships human ships fighting each other could occur are 4 sectors, because of the 2 sectors around each human. Or more depending on the amount of humans between the shooter and target (assuming an infinite range projectile). So I guess the problem lies within turrets utilizing the range.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    Has anyone been able to test activating and deactivating Radar Jammers? I don't have any way of testing this, but maybe reactivating jammers would nullify the effect of scanners. There should probably be a function that increases time to reset jammers if scanned or automatic deactivation of jammers. I would imagine a first strike advantage is already extremely significant as in chess, so I don't worry about that too much.
    Have you played any time in the past, I don't know, 8 months? Scanners put jammers into a cool down, and there's also a short cool down on manual deactivation. You can't get around that by "activating and deactivating Radar Jammers."

lupoCani

First Citizen
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    I must support the core idea here- capital ships ought to engage at longer ranges than small ships. There are issues, I'll admit, but the concept itself is desireable.

Come to think of it, the suitable range of engagement is proportional to the dimensions of the ship, which are proportional to the cube root of the volume, which is proportional to the weapon capacity. Thus, the range extension should operate on the cube root of the damage, not any linear function. This won't entirely solve the associated problems, but it make the truly ridiculous ranges unfeasible.