Weapon "mod blocks" for weapon arrays

Reaction score
    I think I posted this idea before, but didn't really go in detail and I didn't flesh out the explanation properly so I'm going to try that now.

This would be a system that would come after the implementation of the new weapon system, ontop of it actually. It would involve modifying the output of one single array with one (type of) block: the "mod block".

Each of these mod blocks would have a GUI that's specific to them. This GUI would be activated by "activating" the block as you would with any other block.

Now of course, there could be different types of mod blocks, for instance:

-Color mod:
    Would change the color of the array's output. A GUI with color picker would open upon using the block, it will only allow bright colors to prevent invisible projectiles.

-Spread mod:
    Would make the array spread fire, at the cost of reload time. The GUI would contain sliders for the amount of extra projectiles and the spread angle (perhaps checkboxes to prevent horizontal/vertical spread). The reload time would be doubled with each extra projectile added (up to 6).

-Magnetizer mod:
    Would make the projectiles slightly magnetic towards other ships, would have no GUI. Good for fighters in duels, bad for big ships in fleets since they can also hit allies.

-Drunk mod:
    Would make the projectiles follow irregular patterns, kinda like flies, rather than having a straight line, useful for mine-laying when fleeing perhaps, or for tactics that involve confusion. Possibly a GUI with a slider for the amount of irregularity.

-Size mod:
    Would increase the projectile in size, also increasing its hitbox. Would increase reload time and the GUI would consist of a slider that goes up to 2x the original size. Could also go the other way around and make the hitbox+projectile smaller, but not sure about this.

-Many more...

The mod blocks just have to be linked to an array, to influence that specific array. Up to 3 modblocks can be applied to one array at the same time, and perhaps some modblocks should not be able to be combined with each other at all, kinda like enchantments in Minecraft (although with the examples above there is no reason for this yet).

One thing I did not consider yet, was the fact that the new weapon types might be wildly different, for instance there will be beams. With beams I think the solution could involve just changing the angle for the beam for spread, and for the irregular path perhaps it could become some sort of lightning beam?

This is just a suggestion to add even more customization (and optional complexity) to weapons. More customization will lead to more replay value, and "weapon designs" might actually become a thing with this added ontop of the new system. It doesn't have to happen immediately either, just something for later if people like.

Comments? Weapon mod ideas? Terrible idea? :D

Last edited:

ImperialDonut

Overlord of the North Pole
    Reaction score
    To be fair, many of these mods are already covered by the new weapons system, as the secondary weapon type will modify the first in a certain quantity. Adding some of these modifications would also cause many weapon types to simply bleed over into other types, leaving some weapons underused and others overused, if not for the visual differences you could make one weapon behave exactly like another with the proper mods. While the point is to make sure every weapon is unique and has a real purpose rather than being there for show.

It would work with the current weapons, but it simply wont work with the planned system I fear.

(I like that drunk mod effect tho, I hope we can incorporate that in some form)

Reactions: rece ktore leczo
    Reaction score
    To be fair, many of these mods are already covered by the new weapons system, as the secondary weapon type will modify the first in a certain quantity. Adding some of these modifications would also cause many weapon types to simply bleed over into other types, leaving some weapons underused and others overused, if not for the visual differences you could make one weapon behave exactly like another with the proper mods. While the point is to make sure every weapon is unique and has a real purpose rather than being there for show.

It would work with the current weapons, but it simply wont work with the planned system I fear.

(I like that drunk mod effect tho, I hope we can incorporate that in some form)
    Could be implemented in a "nerfed" form I guess.

I remember that changing projectile color was a pretty popular request, so perhaps it could be built into the new weapon system, same with the drunk effect. Would not need new blocks in that case, it would just be an extra option in some GUI for the weapons (if that will be re-done).

ImperialDonut

Overlord of the North Pole
    Reaction score
    Yeah, everyone wants colours, that hadn't escaped our attention. It'll come eventually despite not having a huge priority I'll bet. :)

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I like it.
    Spread will be a better balance-able implementation on burst-fire, until someone uncloaks in front of you and shoot a few dozen projectiles right in your face.
    He could cripple your shield battery permanently and run before you have a chance to counter-attack :p

Reactions: Archer6621
    Reaction score
    Color-changing was confirmed in the recent Q&A. It will be done by placing a light block next to the weapons computer. The live build also already has some projectile size differences, but I'm not sure what was creating that (as far as I know, it was from a master-slave setup in the partial implementation of the new weapon system and the fact that everything was using AMC projectiles still).

Reactions: Ithirahad
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Drunk Mod: Maybe. Minelayers would probably benefit.

Magnetizer mod: nopenopenopenope. Sorry. It's just that this is basically the KB missiles right now, and they will always miss the target you aim at and hit something else.

Spread mod: isn't this the missile-slave effect?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Colour mod:
    Yesyesyesyes! I think this is a great idea. For me, it's not just cosmetic, it's a quick visual identifier for Friend or Foe. There's a good reason George Lucas made the Imperial and Rebel Lasers different colours...

Spread mod:
    Already covered in the up-coming weapon system.

Magnetizer mod:
    Sounds a bit like an aimbot to me? Would probably make ship-mounted Cannons a bit overpowered, would be redundant on Turrets, and Missiles can already be set to guided or heat-seek.

Drunk mod:
    I really really like this idea :) However, I fear the weapons update is already fully planned so it might be too late to incorporate something like this. It'd be real shame if it couldn't be included. Maybe *all* weapons could temporarily fire like this if you get hit by a Pulse cannon?

Size mod:
    I quite like this idea too. If one was to build an extremely large AMC/Beam weapon, then it would make sense for it to fire a slow but very big projectile, rather than a constant stream of highly damaging smaller projectiles. I'm pretty sure you could do this by using the Spread mod on an AMC (increases hit-box size) and adjusting the existing Weapon Computer sliders to increase the reload time. It wouldn't look quite the same as what you are describing, but would have the exact same practical effect in combat.

I don't think you'd need a separate Mod block for any of these ideas, they could just be added to the existing Weapons Computer options.

Speaking of which, who else would like to see a "Select all" checkbox in the weapon balance interface? Whenever I build a ship/turret with more than one AMC array, I hate having to modify all the slider groups individually :-(

Reactions: Ithirahad

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Drunk Mod: Maybe. Minelayers would probably benefit.

Magnetizer mod: nopenopenopenope. Sorry. It's just that this is basically the KB missiles right now, and they will always miss the target you aim at and hit something else.

Spread mod: isn't this the missile-slave effect?
    I actually like the magnetizer mod for mines - Looks realistic :)

Reactions: Blodge
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    I actually like the magnetizer mod for mines - Looks realistic :)
    oh hey, there's a concept. Would still like it if it was faction-specific.

Also, some posted this, and I came up with another idea - the targeted mod. Weapons with this mod will arc towards the global point where you aimed/ curve to travel in a straight line along your firing axis. More blocks = faster and more accurate arcing towards vector/targeted point.