[Weapon Idea] : Plasma Beam

Reaction score
    Weapon Idea : Plasma Beam

My Idea for a new weapon, the "Plasma Beam". The plasma beam would consist of a different type of weaponry, and a bit more complex to use. A "Double Stage" firing system, First click u start Charging the beam, and u can hold that charge for 10 seconds before you "Over_Charge", and have to recharge. Now i know this is a longshot, me being horrible at ideas, but i figured to go over it. The Plasma Beam would have the same way any weapon takes place in the weapon computer, but stats like the "missles". [ Damage/Radius/Range/Speed(Speed being Charge time in this case). ] Now the Idea for the visual of the Plasma Cannon would be similar to a missle look, but in a liner form. Being it a beam, it would be a bit short range, similar range to a missle, 1k range maybe?. The visual idea of it would be like a missle, that goes very fast, in logic ideas. but it is in a lined travel ( Straight ). The range would reach a cap at 1.5k, The idea of the weapon is to be fairly short ranged, bursty type of weapon, unlike the antimatter cannons that have a farther like range. Design wise of the missles, the weaponry of it. All stats of it is raised by the width, and length of the beam, (double axies) x, y, and z. For example, a ship, 5 high, 5 wide, and 10 long. the missles range would be farther because of its length, damage because of length and amount of beams. and the width of the beam consisting of all 3 axies. Now for "stacking" problems, the plasma beam would be special in this purpose. For the weapon to gain power, it would have to be all connected horizontally or verticly. Power ratios i dont know quite how that could be implimented to its system, maybe damage/width/range(more cost more there is). like any other weapon.

I don't think i forgot anything else in this idea of mine..

Those of you that read this whole thing... please post a "review" or comment on u like it or not. I'd love to hear my ideas strengths, and weaknesses.

Dearly,

Ereg~

Reaction score
    This whole idea seems to be too similiar to the d1000 missile, it just flies a bit faster and has a charge up. I don\'t think we will get something so similar to what we already have.

Reaction score
    [re] Commodore

It isnt like the d1000 at all, it isnt a missle, it is a beam.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    I, too, would really like to see a powerful and visually impressive beam weapon in this game. One of the issues that comes to mind is how linking multiple blocks might work, considering the visuals of such a device. Would it be possible to have a connect-the-dots type pattern form? Or should the size of the beam be determined, in stages, by how many blocks are connected. The latter seems much easier actually.

Anyway, my suggestion for something like this would be to build in some versatility. The way I imagine a plasma beam weapon is as one defined by extreme range and power, as well as extremely high reload delay. This would apply to very, very large (like Honey Boo Boo class) armaments. However, if you saw fit to equip a smaller ship with a considerably small array of plasma weapon blocks, the inverse might occur; lower range and damage, complimented by a faster reload speed. This smaller version might even sport a wider and shorter cone of fire, represented by an unfocused blast, rather than a bridge of light.

Just for fun, here\'s another suggestion on top of that. Keep in mind, it probably doesn\'t make a whole lot of sense for something to do with plasma. For a weapon even smaller than that, you would find yourself with a sort of sidegrade of the Antimatter cannon. Considerably smaller plasma arrays (this time only a few linked blocks) produce sharp shocks of hurt at adjustable intervals. The idea would be to have many small arrays. You can adjust them to fire faster and hurt shields more effectively at a greater distance, or to decrease their damage for the effect of temporarily arresting a ship\'s maximum power output, to provide a compliment to the powerdrain beam. This would be what you use while your partner is sapping their energy with the powerdrain beam to detain that bandit or incapacitate that scout ship\'s pilot for questioning.

Crashmaster

I got N64 problems but a bitch ain't one
    Reaction score
    beam length and on-time would be a good trade-off for a powerfull beam. I think beam damage might be possible to be fixed value. A cutting beam that penetrates and damages blocks for it\'s entire length while it is engaged (once through shields?)

Long range beams are power-intensive to maintain. Need more linked blocks to increase range but power load increases exponentially so long beams can only be maintained for short periods and drain power fast like an overloaded cloak but a shorter one could be continuous cutting beam on a powerful ship or a one-block beam might reach 3-4 blocks giving a possible energy sword-like weapon option as well.

If AI is upgraded and remote commandable you could build deadly beam-gates on your station ect.

Reaction score
    What i mean for it to be a beam, i mean 1 fire pulse , not like a long-term-beam like the salvage cannon, and its a locked aiming like fire.

Reaction score
    was a Metroid-style piercing beam weapon. Something that worked a bit like the Antimatter Cannons, but instead of hitting a single block and destroying it, it would pass through several blocks and damage them all a little bit. Such a weapon would be quite useful if hull blocks were made a bit more robust.

As this suggestion is, the explanation seems kind of lengthy and confusing, and it seems like just a strictly better missile...

Reaction score
    So after Reading your Idea/Post i was Remembering something about my alltime Fav. Final Fantasy 7 there was that HUGE Mako Plasma Beam Cannon vs that \"Diamond Weapon\" also like this http://youtu.be/L1h8Xl3Vu98?t=28s

So it would be Great if we could Build us such a nice Beam Cannon:).

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I think if u say it is a beam but vusualize it like a missile u loose a lot of potential, cause i think it should look a bit like a beam, but as u said not long lasting.(maybe the more blocks the longer it lasts?)

And propably it would be cool if it did some kinda \'good\' looking explosion, the \'movie like\' plasma explosion if u know what i mean:) so maybe some kind of color or something(i always think of it being blue but that maybe depends on the movies u saw)

But i really like the idea, there should be way more weapons in the game anyway:)

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    A bit like the plasma beam weapons in the Daedalus class battle cruiser ( search up videos for the look?

Reaction score
    So my Theorie on the Plasma Beam Special Weapon:

In the Weapon Modification you can mod settings like Beam radius, Damage, Speed, Range etc.

After Hiting the Left Mouse Button it will Charge and if it charges it will cost a nice Ammount of Energy.

while it charges you can of course Fire some of you other Stuff, but be warned if the Beam charges for too long (10 sec+) it will damage your Ship!!! Cause its a Strategic Special Weapon!

If you hit the Left Mouse Button then again, a Huge Beam will crush everything in your Way maybe in a g-Darius Style? http://youtu.be/qu-lDJ305Dg?t=49s (Good old times^^).

To Counter such a Beam, the Opponent should fire a Beam too and only the Strongest may win!

But maybe this could be too much for the Game?

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    ...And have no damage output from it. Sure. Sounds like a great idea. What he wants is a powerful, strictly damaging beam weapon, which, in my opinion, is a good idea, but not necessarily implemented as he suggests.

Reaction score
    Obviously the damage would be similer to other ratios of the other weapons

Reaction score
    Plasma Beam good idea,
    Maybe some ION cannon too (slow rate of fire like Pulsator but huge dealing damage)

Also i proposing a anti-matter/laser enchancers. Like lasers in real world are constructed with mineral rods (ruby for red lasers etc - create some enchancers that are adjusting parameters and fire colour based on mineral. Colours and functions like better range or better damage - based on typical light spectrum. Red deal more damage but has short range, blue - better range but less damage, green - a little improved range / yellow - a little improved damage etc.