Brainstorm This Weapon Combination Tweaks

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    dam. I do believe started a flame war. Excuse me for derailing the thread. I just wanted add my thoughts on the problem I see with ship combat and how weapon buffs play into it.
    Nah, it's just a somewhat heated discussion. :)

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    dam. I do believe started a flame war. Excuse me for derailing the thread. I just wanted add my thoughts on the problem I see with ship combat and how weapon buffs play into it.
    No worries.

I would like to remind people discussions over HP systems is off the topic of this thread. If you want to discuss it further I am more than happy to create a thread for that discussion or somebody else can if they feel inclined.

Reaction score
    Crimson-Artist also suggested bonus damage to structure, so we would not have to go through the entire HP pool. Plus, we could circumvent almost the entire armor and armor HP pool. This would reduce armor to a decorational block.
    Theres a reason the core is in the middle of the ship, ya know. It's not like you're gona have a flat out open core on every ship. And if you do make a hole, not only are they half dead because you broke their shields, but then they could just rotate and be fine.

So, this:
    Zoom? Sure, maybe for sniper weapons. For EVERY weapon? No. And an "aim here" indicator? Christ, no thanks. As if combat wasn't already point-and-shoot enough.
    Perhaps sniper weapons would have a better zoom ability, I just want to push combat engagement range back from fist fight range so you can hold back and fire more powerful weapons and still have a chance to actually hit. Some kind of ballistics computer would greatly improve dog fights between small maneuverable ships.
    slaving a camera to a weapon computer should give that a weapon a togglable zoom like the sniper rifle. Although i think sniping is useless since the only way you can destroy a ship is if you take out a mass number of its system blocks.

I propose that hitting the ship core with a weapon should continuously drain a ship's structure. that way you dont have literally destroy half the ship in order to overheat it. also hitting the ship core should deal bonus damage to structure. that way sniping weapons have a reason to exist.
    And through that all of this:
    That is a HORRIBLE idea. The main downside of all the alpha weapons is that they either have trouble doing any penetration (beam/pulse, missile/pulse) or overpenetrate, not doing as much damage as they could (cannon/pulse). If you allow for high power alpha weapons to dump massive amounts of damage into a ship core, we'd end up with instakills and other insanity.
    the actual destructive potential of these weapons is based on design every bit as much as system size, which is gonna lead to a whole lot of heresay & straight up wrongness as to what IS actually powerful.

Popping off the 5billion different buried docked reactors, turrets, mudflaps and dinglebobs that make up half the average ship these days lol, lots of sniper weapons (like, cannon - beam or beam - beam) on a ship makes a crippler, which have a good role to play if not as generally useful as "sniper weapons" (waffled missile - beam - explosive - hurr - durr)

That said I still only really use beam slave on non missile weapons if i plan to have an AI fire it.
    Reintroducing core-drilling and making armor useless again? Really?
    Technically it wouldn't be the same as the old core drilling. When core drilling was a thing the core was a relatively weak block that would kill an entire ship. If the core were to keep taking damage away from a ships HP pool it would still have to go through the entire pool to kill a ship. I could talk about it more but it's a bit off the topic.
    Crimson-Artist also suggested bonus damage to structure, so we would not have to go through the entire HP pool. Plus, we could circumvent almost the entire armor and armor HP pool. This would reduce armor to a decorational block.
    I think he's made a misconception for the most part is all.

This part, depending on size only a small fraction of the ships actual blocks must be destroyed (larger ships = higher system HP damage penalty), and the ship can be more or less rendered inert before that point due to various debuffs in addition to actual destroyed systems.
    There's also the fact that armor can be a large number of a ship's blocks, while contributing very little to the SHP pool. This makes killing a ship more like gutting half of its INTERNALS rather than destroying a whole 50% of its blocks.
    Is all from this quote:
    We also need the ability to zoom from cameras and a ballistics computer so where we need to aim but that's for another thread
    well
    but that's for another thread
    Um
    for another thread
    Guys...
    another thread
    Anyway. It would be really cool if (I might be getting this wrong) cannon cannons would do like 3 diameter explosions on contact but were really inaccurate. Range could stay the same because when your shots are spread over a 100 meter area it's gona be hard to hit things. Make shots with higher cannon secondary percentage have a varying degree of fire. So a shot might aim 2° up and to the left or something.

The whole pulse is efficent idea is actually really nice, with some thought. The capasitors needed to take the massive alpha strike to power really downgraded the system. I would suggest changing the OP to be a bit more clear on what you mean by costing less. For a second(a second) I thought you ment a single pulse shot would cost less than a single regular shot. Adding a power/damage/second explination would help a lot.

Az14el

Definitely not a skywanderers dev
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    Is all from this quote:
    Yes it's a thread about tweaking the weapon balance, so misconceptions as to how the new damage system works should be pointed out for clarity. Which is kinda where that went to.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I would suggest changing the OP to be a bit more clear on what you mean by costing less. For a second(a second) I thought you ment a single pulse shot would cost less than a single regular shot. Adding a power/damage/second explination would help a lot.
    Noted, I'll try and make it more clear.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I would suggest changing the OP to be a bit more clear on what you mean by costing less. For a second(a second) I thought you ment a single pulse shot would cost less than a single regular shot. Adding a power/damage/second explination would help a lot.
    I modified the original post slightly, (sorry for the delay, I've been sick)

"With the current system every weapon combination theoretically will deal identical DPS and consume the same power when compared to any other weapon system of identical size. Every module you add to a weapon system will add 5 DPS and ever point of damage will consume 10 "energy" For example a cannon + cannon with only two modules will fire 10 times a second and deal 1 damage per hit. and consume 10 E per shot. Missile systems are slightly different and list 2x damage due to the way they apply damage and the fact a lot of their damage will be lost to empty space."

Please let me know if I need to clear things up anymore.

Reactions: Nickizzy