Ways to bring new players to the game

Reaction score
    Currently when you look at suggestions or even the rest of the forum, we are look at things to fix or incremental changes of things that bug us.

Sure, improving power, fixing annoying bugs, and adding random things here and there is fine, but there are very few threads that talk about bringing changes that will bring more players to the game. I created this thread so people can post specifically ideas to add things to gameplay, and maybe add a purpose or goal to the game.

I'm sure most people have played minecraft, and the goal is to kill the dragon. Anyone have any ideas of what the goal can be in this game, or how to add main quests, side quests etc?

Even if they fix all of the bugs, and everything we have now runs smoothly, I'm not sure we can bring back all of the players that have already left and bring in new players without a vision about what the gameplay will be about.

Reactions: DeepspaceMechanic

sayerulz

Identifies as a T-34
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Most of us have played minecraft. But have you? The goal is NOT to kill the dragon. I've never actually legitimately killed it. Just a few times cheated into the end to test modded items on it. The goal is to do whatever the hell you dammed well want. Want to make a castle? Perfect. Want to dig a hole? You'll fit right in here. Want to make a bunch of random phallic objects? Well, I may not respect that, but I'll fight to the death for your right to do it.

Starmade is the same. And right now, the last thing we need is new players, who, spanning all ages and demographics, can't seem to understand that alpha =/= finished game with every bug fixed, every feature complete and balanced, and everything all shiny and perfect.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    If the game were to add scriptable missions, the community can create stories, lore, and an ultimate final mission. Someone is going to have talent in writing, and that's all that will be needed to give StarMade a good, final goal.

Sure, the dev team could build their own goal mission without giving the community access, but then you'll never have an evolving storyline. The static final mission will be explored endlessly, and hints, tips, and solutions will be posted online, making the final mission easy.

If you have a community-accessible mission system, then you have any number of "final missions", including brand new ones, so that the end cannot be so easily "cracked". At least not until interest in the game falters, and then nobody scripts new missions for it anymore. Then the true final mission will be exposed and given the walk-through treatment, pushing the game into "completed" state, as nature intended.

Reilly Reese

#1 Top Forum Poster & Raiben Jackpot Winner
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    If the game were to add scriptable missions, the community can create stories, lore, and an ultimate final mission. Someone is going to have talent in writing, and that's all that will be needed to give StarMade a good, final goal.

Sure, the dev team could build their own goal mission without giving the community access, but then you'll never have an evolving storyline. The static final mission will be explored endlessly, and hints, tips, and solutions will be posted online, making the final mission easy.

If you have a community-accessible mission system, then you have any number of "final missions", including brand new ones, so that the end cannot be so easily "cracked". At least not until interest in the game falters, and then nobody scripts new missions for it anymore. Then the true final mission will be exposed and given the walk-through treatment, pushing the game into "completed" state, as nature intended.
    I've always wanted a configurable mission API thing.

Reaction score
    OK, so - I like space!!!111111111
    and spacestations, and spaceships! Making any kind I like visually. Making them work better. That's the attraction for me right there. I think Identifying the related interests of current player base and having a marketing campaign to target people in those is great way to go. The game is still in development though - plenty of time for that :)

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Buckle up guys, I've had a wall of test worth of stuff to say building for a while, but have been procrastinating about putting it on the forums. This is something I've been thinking about for a while. I have not actually played on any multiplayer servers, so I feel like I have a really good idea of how well the game explains itself rather than a veteran player explaining on its behalf. I really like this game and it's one of 2 or 3 I return to again and again. My favorite thing is building and creating things, and this game absolutely excels at that, giving me tools that most other game only offer in glitchy mods. Other similar games (that I won't name) had interesting systems, but were so poorly optimized every server allowed you to build essentially a single small fighter that once easily destroyed was gone forever. This game has shareable blueprints, easy to find and gather resources, and shops.

However, just about everything else is very difficult to learn and has a very slow reward process. I am an technically minded person and enjoy puzzles and challenges but I may have given up on this game entirely if I hadn't gotten into Twitch and the folks that stream there. It's a very polar game, either something is really easy or it is really hard. If it's easy it's generally because the game has allowed most construction to take place in what other games would call a "creative mode" while still requiring resources and leaving the player vulnerable. It is also easy because everything is tradable for credits and even the most simplistic of ships function well. However when it is hard, it is rarely due to the challenge of mobs, or the difficultly of design choices, but figuring out the options available and testing systems.

Thus, as a player who loves this game for it's building aspects and multiplayer focus, I will try to address where the game is too easy to the point of being boring and where it is too hard to the point of being overwhelming. After all the criticism, I'll try to offer my briefly considered, likely mediocre, solutions.

- Too easy: A lot of the process of resource gathering feels repetitive because there is no challenge to it once you have a few salvagers installed. Sure, you need to find a trader or a planet with the right rarer resources to build your custom ship, but those resources are only hard to find, not to gather.

Soln?: Now, if some planets or centers had hostile mobs or turrets (Alien Military Caches anyone?) or even could be claimed by factions who could them farm and sell those resources that would be amazing. With custom fleets, factions, and NPCS, the opportunity to create a more casual and creative EVE-like experience is there. It's just hard to produce.

- Too hard: The controls are a nightmare where everything is set up like a file system (think linux) instead of a visual based system (think iPhone). I've used professional sim suites and the learning curve feels similar. Now, that's not to say it can't be done, but a new player is unlikely to put in that kind of effort unless there is some big payoff of excitement or progression early on. The UI is confusing, with multiple thin colored lines that show ship systems. And this is for a single ship, not a fleet of ships or a faction of fleets. The tutorial videos help, but completely skip over things like cargo, scanning, cloaking, etc.

Soln?: Ideally, within an hour of starting, the new player gets a couple of achievements showing learning and progress, has killed something, and built something. From my experience, that's about how long you have before impatience sets in. The achievements could mark things like "gathered basic resource", "killed a thing", and "built a ship (including at least 1 thruster, power, and core". If the empty achievement list appeared at first logon like the tutorial menu, so much the better. Then building ships over a certain size, or finding some lost alien artifact, defeating a pirate station, or salvaging a derelict ship core could all be achievements which grant at least some significance to experiencing the universe and let players know they are on the right track.

- Too hard: Systems like power, shields, and weapons have almost no way to isolate them once they are buried amidst each other inside a ship. A redesign of almost any system involves removing all the blocks, coming up with a new plan, and placing them all down again. While it's interesting how power gen, cap, weapon systems intermingle, if I don't like my ships performance, it tests my patience to tear everything apart and put it back together again.

Soln?: A tab in build mode that said (Ctrl for advanced options) in a decent font size would be nice, and then some big vertical tabs for general, armor, weapons, power, shields, thrust would be AMAZING to help show where things are and what they do. Get all that crap out of the main wheel menu and a gray box of tiny white text and into a single accessible place where it belongs, a build menu. Each tab would highlight the corresponding system blocks throughout the ship, and perhaps offer the ability to edit only those blocks. Weapon blocks of all types could be replaced with a 3 blocks (primary, secondary, and effect) which could then be set to the right type in the weapon tab of the advanced build menu with a button for an entire highlighted section at once. Perhaps this last bit is too much, but yall get the idea.

- Too easy: Defeating pirates. While this can be adjusted by giving the pirates access to player-made blueprints, the base pirates don't have anything of note. All the other factions are big and expansive but neutral. Once defeated, the pirates don't have any significant rewards for capturing their ships or stations as they must be purchased to get their materials.

Soln?: Pirates will not just destroy, but capture ships, stations, and planets and build moderate defenses on them. Is this hard as hell to code? Likely. A easier version would to just have pirates "capture" resources. Now, giving the pirate faction a dreadnought with the hyper aggressive AI could be a terrible idea, but if that dreadnought went and squatted on something worth having (like a rare asteroid) and only had short range weapons, that could be an amazing and engaging find. Most of these require that resources be in at least some way renewable, which could be done with respawning asteroids, minable planet cores, or certain blocks that respawn in an area over time. Perhaps a new type of multiblock generator creates the resource, who knows.

- Too hard: Bug Reporting. I don't know if there's an easy system in place, but my less-than-observant self certainly never noticed one in game. For a game this ambitious with innovative mechanics, this feature seems like a must.

Soln?: A link from the escape menu to the bug forums would be fine.

First, a little background.

Long long ago I got into quest building in minecraft, but the skillcap was so high and the demographic had become so young it was a very frustrating experience. Particularly annoying was how poorly anything worked in multiplayer. It was actually fairly easy to make a one-time-through single player quest world, but my goal was always to apply those skills to a server. I actually had a good prototype working when Microsoft bought Mojang and crushed plugin development for servers. So, with the sudden updates of the game, all the plugins broke and I couldn't fix/re-code them AND design a questing server so the project eventually was abandoned.

However, I think with the introduction of factions, a few more NPCS, and then some basic stage mechanics then Starmade would from an administrator perspective be a "build your own MMO in space" game which sounds like one of the greatest things ever.

That said, while letting the community design a lot of the questing content, having a few things to discover or explore would be very very useful to allow NEW players trying out the game to have something to do even in single player mode for a while. Perhaps just some captain's logs in derelict ships or alien notes on strange planetary structures would be good. Maybe some information on leaders of the trading guild or why the Scavs learned to work together. Do the outcasts have a history? Is there a way to learn it at their stations in the game? That kind of thing would be great.

Well I've gone on long enough, if anyone made it this far, good on you. Anyway, hope this helps,

Joe

Reactions: Asypha

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I have not once slayed the Ender Dragon. I have, however, spent hours and hours venturing through the Nether and the depths of the earth collecting ore, searching for floating islands in the high places of the world, and building great towers and constructs in the trees.

A defined end goal is not the point of a sandbox game, rather, it is the opposite - completely unnecessary and counter to the entire idea of a sandbox game. Technically, Minecraft's Ender Dragon is not an end goal at all, but rather another challenge that a player may attempt if they wish.

StarMade does not need an end goal. It does need exploration and variation in the universe, more things to do, more incentives for cooperation and combat, and more challenges in general, for PvE/explorer, PvP/empire-builder, and builder/engineer players alike. Schine already knows this.

It'd be nice, though, if they could somehow make mining gameplay more interesting. The easy way out of this - and possibly the preferable way - is simply to make resource extraction automated, but perhaps we could do better than that...

Reaction score
    A defined end goal is not the point of a sandbox game, rather, it is the opposite - completely unnecessary and counter to the entire idea of a sandbox game. Technically, Minecraft's Ender Dragon is not an end goal at all, but rather another challenge that a player may attempt if they wish.
    qft. personally i think having tiered action is fun to work through but people should understand its optional content, and not an intentional "end goal"
    [doublepost=1494441816,1494441698][/doublepost]on and with regards to op, the devs have specifically stated they arent trying to bring players to the game yet. solid playerbase is a future goal once the games more complete and stable.

Reaction score
    I'm not saying it necessarily has to force you to get to 1 end goal, and there is also no reason to copy minecraft, but it would be nice if there were more things to do. What could be added to get more minecraft and space engineers players to come over to this game?

If you look at what minecraft is, most combat is stupid predictable mobs. I've killed the ender dragon at least 3 times, mostly playing multiplayer with friends. Why create the same game again, if this can be better?

This game can be so much more, just because it's not just mobs moving around, it can be fleets and ships. This opens up the possibilities of how you handle something because you get to decide what your weapon systems look like. It's not just bows and arrows and the same few mobs in minecraft.

Here are some ideas:
    - We could even have other competing enemy factions that always hate your guts besides just pirates to fight.
    - Exploration could be more interesting instead of the same planets over and over.
    - AI could be improved so instead of acting reflexively when they spawn near you, they could be programmed to search for you in a pattern sector by sector, or send scouting missions cto actively try to eliminate you, maybe even increasing in difficulty as you stray away from spawn, or the longer you play the game.
    - There could be attacks on merchant ships that pay you per ship you save when you kill the pirates?
    - Missions of you going from point A to point B to transport something and being attacked on the way?
    - Assassination missions where you need to kill a specific ship or an NPC in a convoy that is passing through a certain sector nearby?
    - Giant NPC ships that spawn randomly and unpredictably that give you a huge payoff if you are able to kill them, but despawn when you leave the sector for too long?

There are lots of options. Since we now have blocks that stop ships from jumping and disable cloaking there are many countermeasures the enemy computer can deploy against different means that you can use to achieve your objectives.

It's fun to build huge ships with logic and systems, but I think the game needs a little more than that to keep people entertained. It will enrich the single player experience, and give something to do with your friends besides fight each other in multiplayer.

The problem is, right now, you build your base, build your ships, and then what? Go to other sectors, kill pirates? How long is that going to take before it gets old?

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    Jolly, you've basically listed out the devs' goals for the game. Also, it's already been stated: The developers don't want a rush of people right now. If they did, they'd use one of their Steam "publicity rounds" that puts them on the front page of Steam wherever, they'd set up ads on YouTube, whatever. They have ways to bring in new players, but they don't want to waste them until they have a more finished product they can be proud to sell. I think. They want players to come and stay, not come and not stay because the average person is stupid (No offense, average people. But you are ;) ) and can't understand that an alpha game is a broken piece of "could be" and should not be judged too harshly.