Warp Holes

Master_chief_150

Ol' Reliable
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I've Been Playing This And LOVE it! 1 problem is distance. they should add like a gun that can create a hole to a waypoint so it makes travel easier. But, They need a High price or noobs would be able to go attack your base. Or, make it use a large amount of power to Open. After All, For me to spawn Is Like 10 minutes,

Reaction score
    Or you could add a warp drive, which personally I think would be cooler even though that\'s kinda copying star trek (I think). Not bad suggestion though. By gun do you mean attached to your ship or you hold it in your hand?

Reaction score
    And you have the balls to make refrences to something you didnt know, Its star gate BTW

I would perfer something like a warp drive that jumps to another sector, this would require alot of energy and the bigger the ship, the more jump drive blocks you would require.

Reaction score
    Lol. Yes that is what I was implying. I don\'t watch many stargaze star trek movies ect.. (sadly) so I don\'t know much about that stuff. I do think warp drives would be cool!

mou

Reaction score
    guys, stargate and other sci-fy movies-series have a huge part of truth, its mostly based and science

vortex theory, and such

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    They should make it so if you hit something at warp, that\'s it, your ships in a billion little pieces over yonder. Make it dangerous, to counteract the convenience

Reaction score
    warp drives are from star treck, stargate has, well, a stationary gate that you go through. if you are going to correct someone, get it right.

Reaction score
    stargate also had hyperdrive technology not just stargates, some kind of jump drive would be nice but there are a lot of issues to work out first.

Reaction score
    Some people, I tells ya...

This one has been suggested to death, but it\'s still a really good idea. From a practical perspective, it would work far better as a simple teleportation from point A to point B, rather than having the ships actually accelerate to the kind of speeds we\'re talking about (as the game would have to go into overdrive loading everything you pass). And since there\'s already code for fixing block collisions, it shouldn\'t be too hard to do something about the issue of winding up inside of something.

The question that really needs to be asked of these topics is, how would we like fast travel implemented? We could have:

Naturally occuring wormholes:

Essentially these spit you out at another wormhole somewhere. These would make exploration worthwhile, and would be a good point for factions to defend.

Wormhole Gates:

Essentially an artificial structure that sends you to another wormhole opening. This is not mutually exclusive with naturally occuring wormholes. Upon firing it up, a menu could come up showing wormholes within range, and the user could pick one. The range could be determined by the available power; the farther the destination is, the more power is consumed. Note that this could either be a physical gate or some sort of cannon that creates a wormhole in space.

Hyperspace/Slipstream Jumps:

An actual warp drive that just makes you go really fast is a bit out of the question (as stated earier), but something close can be accomplished. Essentially the ship jumps to another dimension (somewhat like the Nether in MC) where the coordinates are scaled, so traveling 1 km in hyperspace nets you, say, 8 or 16 in normal space. This dimension would contain nothing but ships that went to hyperspace, and building would be disabled. Staying in hyperspace should probably consume power. Bonus points for cool effects in the background.

Tesseracts:

Probably the route that requires the least work on Schema\'s part. Essentially the ship moves by folding space around it; this would act like just a straight up teleport. Again, range would be based on available power, and perhaps a menu could be opened to \"tune\" the amount of power put into it when activated. A cool little particle effect would be nice.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    I think the idea with the natural occuring wormholes is the best idea. It would bring a little more strategy into the game: They could be for example guarded by pirate space stations at first, till you destroy them. Then you would own an strategic point to defend.

And on the other hand it wouldn\'t be that overpowered as the two alternatives because their appearance would be random and rare, while you could go where you want with the other two methods, like the homebase of your enemy for example.