• No

Votes: 3 30.0%
    • What is a Warp gate ?

Votes: 1 10.0%

• Total voters
    Reaction score
    Warp gate alternative.
    have 2 modes that can activate.

mode 1) have a set range one way jump that uses the same "set way point" NAVe CON as the jump-drive.

mode 2) link system. Gates connected (as they do now) get twice the distance GATE to GATE

if no target is active going into the gate you go to the default.

Example:
    You can jump
    4 systems (64 sec) in any direction
    OR
    8 (128 sec) point to point (current)

warp gate idea.png

this was originally posted as a reply.
    this post was inspired/prompted by:
    Jaaskinal
    her suggestion thread
    A concept to fundementally change warpgate functionality.

Last edited:

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    What keeps you from getting stranded?
    jump=8
    if( gate used ) jump=64, free jump
    if( gate destination ) jump=8? jump=64, free jump too?
    if( gate used & gate destination ) jump=128? only if gates have set each other as destination? Not if you enter the second gate position in your nav?

Lone_Puppy

Me, myself and I.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Warp gate alternative.
    have 2 modes that can activate.

mode 1) have a set range one way jump that uses the same "set way point" NAVe CON as the jump-drive.

mode 2) link system. Gates connected (as they do now) get twice the distance GATE to GATE

if no target is active going into the gate you go to the default.

Example:
    You can jump
    4 systems (64 sec) in any direction
    OR
    8 (128 sec) point to point (current)

this was originally posted as a reply.
    this post was inspired/prompted by:
    Jaaskinal
    her suggestion thread
    A concept to fundementally change warpgate functionality.
    Sorry if where I'm going may be a little off track. I wonder if this is how Hyperspace gates in Babylon 5 work? I often wondered how they could use the gates to get around. I'm thinking the gate shunts the ship into hyperspace and then something drops them out. Otherwise, the could simply work the same as Stargate/Starmade gates with a source/dest mechanic.

Reaction score
    What keeps you from getting stranded?
    jump=8
    if( gate used ) jump=64, free jump
    if( gate destination ) jump=8? jump=64, free jump too?
    if( gate used & gate destination ) jump=128? only if gates have set each other as destination? Not if you enter the second gate position in your nav?
    how a player uses the gate is up to them
    my proposed revisions Example is only a guide based on the current system
    halving the max for a free jump.

i think of it as tunneling or wormhole stabilization.

if the gate can send you to another gate 8 Systems away then it can send you half or maybe a quarter of that with out a gate at the other end.
    a player can still use jump drives or build a new warp gate. with the new speed cap and mass systems it dose not take as long as it used to too travel at sublight

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    Very nice, simple suggestion. The only thing I would add is to also ditch the Marker Beam and have Gate linking automatic if the destination has an accessible gate.

Sorry if where I'm going may be a little off track. I wonder if this is how Hyperspace gates in Babylon 5 work? I often wondered how they could use the gates to get around. I'm thinking the gate shunts the ship into hyperspace and then something drops them out. Otherwise, the could simply work the same as Stargate/Starmade gates with a source/dest mechanic.
    With this suggestion, every Ship Core would be equipped with a built-in Warp Arrester Coil.

Reaction score
    Very nice, simple suggestion. The only thing I would add is to also ditch the Marker Beam and have Gate linking automatic if the destination has an accessible gate.

With this suggestion, every Ship Core would be equipped with a built-in Warp Arrester Coil.

I like the marker beam.
    i like the idea that you have to have been there at-least once to set up warp gates

my idea would get you half way there in a blink but the other half would be under your own power then you can set up the destination gate. then getting back would be the easy part. as it is warp-gates are inter territorial transport. since they are an investment its often a good idea to faction them meaning you usually only link clammed systems.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I like the marker beam.
    Boo! Hiss! :D
    Even if you did want to limit a Warp Gate to a single manual linkup, it surely must have a terminal, or keypad on it for inputting coordinates. I think the Trading Guild disabled this feature on purpose so they could sell Marker Beams.

I was imagining that your sophisticated Ship Core automatically relayed the coordinates to the Warp Gate computer, which then used the Trading Guild's galactic sensor network to establish a link if their was a suitable gate at the destination.

But your suggestion is still better than what we have now, so I'm for it.

Reactions: Atas-Pelangi

Lone_Puppy

Me, myself and I.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8

Ah, that's interesting! The arrester coil mechanic is already in the game in the form of the jump inhibitor. Perhaps, this would be a good reasoning, explanation or excuse to have the drop out mechanic where it is built into the core as some kind of emergency protocol.

Although, there are power requirements to make these things happen. So the whole slingshot into hyperspace styl FTL effect might not be practical, because you would theoretically have to generate the power to drop out.

If you were dealing with Warp field theory, it's simply power on to move, power off to stop. So, you could do it here.

The wormhole mechanic, would have to have something to generate the aperture at the destination end. not sure how this would work mechanically.

Reaction score
    Really, this thread is the same as this thread: A concept to fundementally change warpgate functionality.

I'll say here what I agree with from there: No marker beam, but have the system remember every warp gate you can use. Whether it be your own, your faction's, or a public one. Then you can link the gate to any of them, so that it overrides nav settings and sends you there (If it's in range). Have a limited warp distance, but make it long. You can target any sector you want, and the gate will get you as close to that sector as it can. If there's a warp gate in the targeted sector, then, if it's less that 2x normal warp gate range, you can travel directly to it.

No more lines on maps, by the way. Perhaps a log of warps/jumps through your territory.

You can jump to a gate, which doubles your jump distance, you can jump from a gate, which sends you 1/2 or perhaps just 1/4 of the gate's maximum distance, you can go gate-to-gate, at full gate range, or you can jump with just jump drive, with only the range of a jump drive.
    Every option except for the gate-to-gate method requires a charged jump-drive to use.

Reactions: BiohazardousFallout
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I believe the gates sent them to hyperspace, then they just navigated until they got to another gate, unless they wanted to go somewhere that didn't have a gate, then had to be equipped(independent jump capability) to do so.

You can jump to a gate, which doubles your jump distance, you can jump from a gate, which sends you 1/2 or perhaps just 1/4 of the gate's maximum distance, you can go gate-to-gate, at full gate range, or you can jump with just jump drive, with only the range of a jump drive.
    Every option except for the gate-to-gate method requires a charged jump-drive to use.
    ^ I like this.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    i wish wormholes looked spherical with its "surface" appearing as the opposite side just like in "interstellar" once they are formed from an unthinkable force they will remain a tear in space time until another unthinkable force fixes it and all travel costs nothing

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Interesting idea.
    2 Captial-Ships™ could create these permanent wormholes toward each other, but enemies could use them too. This would eliminate the need for gates, but you need big ships to start making them.
    But any capital can also collapse them.

Wormholes are already ingame, Schema could make that an experimental option using something similar to jump-drives.
    But you could only make them in systems in which you killed the star :p
    (Or when one became a super-novae in the galaxy creation algorithm)​

Reaction score
    Well....no. Because the ability to make a permanent (Even if it can be destroyed) portal to your enemy's base is OP. Not to mention the scientific fact that it takes a truly absurd amount of energy to create a wormhole. Impossible, basically. There's a wormhole (Maybe) at the center of black holes....but that requires the force of a detonating and collapsing star with a mass rated in the hundreds of solar masses. So, no. The idea is absolutely ridiculous. Allowing a capital vessel to form a highly temporary Slipspace-esque portal to bring along a fleet would be far better and even more realistic (Large vessel using an Alcubierre drive to bring along several others....maybe. That said, we still massively accelerate FTL in SM, as an Alcubierre drive would still take years to reach even a nearby star)

Lone_Puppy

Me, myself and I.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I'm pretty sure a click of a mouse button could create a wormhole. Not much energy involved there. ;)
    [doublepost=1471989423,1471987666][/doublepost]I do think it could probably get as out of hand as building titans, but the mechanic could be allowed into the game at a ridiculous cost in power as you mentioned. Hell we can blow up planets with a cannon, so it's not too out there to be able to generate something like a permanent wormhole. Naturally, somebody will find a way to weaponise it, as with all technology.

I personally would like the see the gates work like those in the tv show Stargate, or a type of slingshot as they are now and add the options you mentioned earlier Madman198237. I would like an FTL drive that worked like the hyperspace drives on Babylon 5 or Stargate.

It's neither here nore there with me as long as we can FTL in some way.