Warp Drives

Reaction score
    I know there have been lots of threads on this, but I have an idea for a way to prevent them from bieng too easy to implement, or overpowered, and add an element of realism. (Well, star trek realism, as well some very scetchy theoretical physics)

• The general basis for the system would be alcubierre drives, a thoeretical superluminal drive system which actually dosen't violate the current laws of physics. However, the ring would be replaced by star trek style nacelles.
    • Needless to say, it would be as complicated as possible, because warp drives must be complex or we would have real ones right now.
    • Basically, the warp system would consist of four parts, the nacelles, an antimatter-anhiliation generator (warp core), plasma conduits to connect the nacelles to the generator, and a warp computer, to control everything.
    • There would be two nacelles, which must be the outermost structures on a ship in the horisontal, port/starboard plane, allowed only a double layer of hulls or hardened hulls on the outside, in the same plane, to protect them, they woululd have to contain a number of blocks propottionate to the total number of blocks in a ship, and obviousley, more blocks would need more energy. I would envision them as oblong structures elongeted from bow to stern, but I guess allowing any shape would allow more flexible shipbuilding.
    • The conduits would act similar to redstone energy conduits in thermal expansion, not actually holding power, just allowing it to be transferred from source to drain.
    • The generator would be a solid cube, possibly consuming fuel, which I might post some ideas for in a seperate thread. It would constantley generate power proportionate to the ammount of blocks in it, and would have a vast internal storage. (Other storage could be implimented, but that would add extra complications.) Since warping would require extreme ammounts of energy for a short period, but none at other times, maybe there could be a way to convert warp energy into the more traditional energy. (I call it electricity, not sure of the real name.)
    • The computer would not really do anything internally, but would have to be there for the sake of realisticness.
    • As for speed, it would read 0 on the spedometer, (Read about alcubierre drives if you don't get why, too complicated to explain here.) but the true speed would be infinite, and every journey of distances would be impracticle with normal engines would all take the same ammount of time, unless you set a manual warp factor, but higher speeds, which would be automatically implemented for longer distances, would cost a lot more energy to start. Possibly, there could be a second spedometer showing the warp factor.
    • Also, I think it should only use energy to start the warp, and reverse thrust to stop, not during it, for the sake of realism.

Well, there it is, it is a bit longwinded, I got carried a way XD. If you don't understand whwt I mean with with the placement requirements for the nacelles, just ask, and I'll try to find a better way to describe it, although I can't think of one ATM.

Tell me what you think of it.

Hope you consider this schema, but if you don't, I understand, it's quite complex, and you're busy with other parts of the game.