Warp Drive Optimizations

Reaction score
    First off let me say I LOVE THE NEW WARP DRIVES. But on another note I also hate the new warp drives. The Mass to Warp module ration is WAY WAY WAY to high. You need about 1 warp drive module for every 9 blocks you have to hit that "sweet spot". All I am asking is that you lower that number to something like One module per 10 mass or 1 module per 100 mass even.

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    It already is at 1/20 In fact you do not even need to reach that amount to activate the warp drive. You just get a slower charge rate.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    1/20 is horrid imo, for the kinds of ship I thought these short range jump drives would have this amount cuts into every system and makes it difficult to design a decent ship with them implemented

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    i agree. I understand that its suppose to be a high end block thats not easily obtainable but could we at least get a better mass-to-block ratio?

for example just to get a 7 second jump drive charge i needed to put in a 5-to-1 ratio of the sweet spot. that was 1500 jump drive modules to a sweet spot of about 300.

granted that the ship in question was designed to be a jump augmenter and had no other room for weapons or other systems. but if being hit will reset your charge level then its utterly absurd for the "sweet spot" to amount to something like half a minute. meaning that while a combat ship is trying to get away it most likely won't cuz it ether has at or slightly lower jump drive modules then the sweet spot and will probably just get destroyed cuz it cant charge fast enough.

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    The default setting is 5% mass of the ship, so 1 block for every 20. A good setting that Infinite Havoc and Elwyn both use is 1%. The setting is in your blockbehaviorconfig file where you adjust weapon stats

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    RP ships often have 5 hull for one vital/deco.
    They will rarely spend more than 20% of vitals into jump drives only.

You have about 4 vitals and maybe 1-2 decorative per 1 jump module * 5 hull per vital/deco = 25-30 blocks per jump drive.

3% is better, 1% only if doom-cubes are required to have hull.
    --- my opinion ---

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    Honestly whatever the optimal ratio is, it is still very slow to charge up unless you go far over that ratio. I don't see why everyone is complaining when you can still charge up a drive below that ratio. You honestly expect jump drive to be free? It's an end game piece of equipment. Common, but endgame.

1/20 is horrid imo, for the kinds of ship I thought these short range jump drives would have this amount cuts into every system and makes it difficult to design a decent ship with them implemented
    You have to make a choice. The devs want people to make ships that have roles. Encourages fleet play and organized efforts. Instead everyone wants a big ship that can salvage and has missiles and docks and etc... I never started building ships that way and the only reason I see people complaining is because that is all they have done. Now they are forced to make a choice between all the systems they want.

Reactions: Mr. V
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    I was building a dedicated missile harasser. My choice went between shields and warp since I already had all the weapons in place. I needed another 2000 warp blocks on a ship that isn't even that large. I now have abysmal shields. I understand the need for roles, but the ratio shouldn't also have you choose between core systems and warp

Reactions: Ithirahad

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Honestly whatever the optimal ratio is, it is still very slow to charge up unless you go far over that ratio. I don't see why everyone is complaining when you can still charge up a drive below that ratio. You honestly expect jump drive to be free? It's an end game piece of equipment. Common, but endgame.

You have to make a choice. The devs want people to make ships that have roles. Encourages fleet play and organized efforts. Instead everyone wants a big ship that can salvage and has missiles and docks and etc... I never started building ships that way and the only reason I see people complaining is because that is all they have done. Now they are forced to make a choice between all the systems they want.
    Well, big ships SHOULD have A BIT everything.
    Just not MAX OF everything.

Even if it is just 10% or 20% distributed over everything.
    Found a small abandoned ship with lot of expensive blocks? You want to salvage it?
    Need to salvage fuel on a different server than the ship is built on?
    Fight on a server with a lot of power consumption by weapons? You should have the most efficient even if just a little.​

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    I was building a dedicated missile harasser. My choice went between shields and warp since I already had all the weapons in place. I needed another 2000 warp blocks on a ship that isn't even that large. I now have abysmal shields. I understand the need for roles, but the ratio shouldn't also have you choose between core systems and warp
    how big is the ship and how fast can it take out similarly sized vessels?

Reaction score
    The main thing I use warp drives on ships is to escape planets and pirates, while it can be used to travel, I feel it is more of a battle type thing

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    around 200 length and can make quick work of another ship its size. It is a WIP but still

MossyStone48

Cmdr Deathmark
    Reaction score
    rimmer made the point of explaining where it can be changed. i find the configurability of starmade is one of its strongest points.

excuse my segue: vanilla is playable but to really have fun in the game you need to make a few adjustments. it's like listening to lossless music on earbuds. yeah it would sound better than lossy with earbuds but nothing beats a good pair of monitors and a pressed cd. even then you still need to tweak the equalizer some to really enjoy the music. same with SM. use the right tools fo rthe job and make some adjustments. only then cn ou get the most out of your experience.

back to jump drives. i like jump drives for escapes and travel too tho gates are better suited to the travel bit. you really need to mix the two. using just jump drives will really limit how much fun you can have out there. setup routes to your resources, shops, bases and you can even get away with dedicating a sector just to a shipyard. while sectors are getting bigger we've shrunk down the universe again with FTL. take fulla advantage of it.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    I think a better idea would be to make weapon fire decrease the charge by a certain amount, maybe 0.0001second/damage? That doesn't sound like a lot, but a decent missile can still easily wipe out a ship's jump counter.

Maybe this could be an effect instead, with the passive version resisting jump charge loss.

Now, ships dedicated to be fast jumpers can still escape combat with it, but ships with just a light jump drive can still be prevented from jumping away.

MossyStone48

Cmdr Deathmark
    Reaction score
    Or use a jump velocity cap. This would make stop weapons useful in arresting a jumper. Since it can't reach w/e percent of the server cap to make the jump. Good reason to have passive boosting too.

Reactions: Lecic
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    • Purchased!
    I agree with Vanhelzing - I like the way they implemented the Jump Drives - they're useful, you can put them anywhere, but it forces you to put some thought into it if you want maximum efficiency

... The last I checked (despite some of the earlier indications on how this feature would be implemented) you can charge the jump drive at any point and it will maintain that charge until you use it. I have yet to lose a charge because I was attacked except for once when pirates took out the jump computer on a barely shielded cloaking salvager I built.

I love the new jump drives and kind of like the fact that while it's difficult to hit the sweet spot - you don't have to hit that spot at all in order to have a functional jump drive. You can operate it with a computer and a single module, it just takes longer to charge (which you can do well in advance to needing to jump anyway - especially if you install two jump drives so that you can always have one ready to go for an emergency).

MrFURB

Madman of the Girders
    Reaction score
    The default setting is 5% mass of the ship, so 1 block for every 20. A good setting that Infinite Havoc and Elwyn both use is 1%. The setting is in your blockbehaviorconfig file where you adjust weapon stats
    Last time I modified my Prowler on Elwyn Eternity it had about 10K mass and about 2,300 jump drive modules on it (Same number as power reactor modules). With the 1% setting it can jump once every five seconds, most of that charge coming from time spent charging while going through the warp animation. The 5% setting is... Noticeably slower, but still within reason.
    Vessels with less mass seem to have the short end of the stick even with a similar ratio of jump modules, which could explain some of the woes.
    The additional charge needed per jump module is about an eighth as much as the charge rate per module. I'd assume that as long as your power pool could handle the incredible stress, you could make an insta-jumper by refitting a large ship specifically for that purpose where as a smaller jump ship would be slower to charge.

Reaction score
    I agree with Vanhelzing - I like the way they implemented the Jump Drives - they're useful, you can put them anywhere, but it forces you to put some thought into it if you want maximum efficiency

... The last I checked (despite some of the earlier indications on how this feature would be implemented) you can charge the jump drive at any point and it will maintain that charge until you use it. I have yet to lose a charge because I was attacked except for once when pirates took out the jump computer on a barely shielded cloaking salvager I built.

I love the new jump drives and kind of like the fact that while it's difficult to hit the sweet spot - you don't have to hit that spot at all in order to have a functional jump drive. You can operate it with a computer and a single module, it just takes longer to charge (which you can do well in advance to needing to jump anyway - especially if you install two jump drives so that you can always have one ready to go for an emergency).
    Why would you revive a dead suggestion thread if you don't even support the suggestion? :/