Warp Drive and Hyperspace

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    My idea is to add two types of drives that allow quick travel over long distances at large energy requirements

Wall of text incoming

Overall functionality

Warp drives which allow travel very quickly (constant 10 seconds enroute?) to warp beacons. Energy requirement is exponential to distance and multiplied by ship mass divided by (500 or so) meaning that small ships get reduced energy requirements. Also to travel long distances you either need a lot of energy, or to make more segmented, shorter jumps. To assist small ships allow building of structures called warp gates which can store energy, be connected to a station for energy, or part of a large mothership (if code would allow mobile warp gates) Beacons should also be limited to the amount of ships coming in to prevent collision. They should require an open area (much like docking units now) that require a clear space to allow incoming ships to land. Upon activation the event horizons of the warp zones should create a visible repulsion effect that will push objects outside the incoming warp area away from the event horizon.

Hyperspace drives would allow ships to jump to any sector without a beacon, this would require even more energy than the warp drives and also be exponential to distance multiplied by mass of the ship divided by some constant. This drive will attempt to find a place to fit the ship in the destination sector, and create the same repulsion effect as that of the warp drive in the area.

Both drives would function by draining energy from your batteries (at a rate maybe 3/4 energy production) and using all the energy production of your ship until they have enough energy stored to warp/jump. This could leave your ship vulnerable if you are escaping with low shields or the enemy has power drains, that is intentional.

Blocks/ damage to blocks

Each drive would have a CPU and Warp or Hyperspace cores. One computer like weapons and missle systems. More cores would increase the range of the drive, Hyperspace (being made for going to undeveloped zones) would get more range per core block than warp, but not by much.

The blocks are also somewhat unstable so that on their destruction they will explode doing damage to nearby cores and the ship. Cores should have about 1500hp, and their explosion should have a radius of 2 and do 500 damage. Multiple cores exploding in a single iteration will increase the radius so maybe 2+.1*(cores 'sploding). Allowing for chain reactions if this critical system ends up taking direct hits.

Another effect of damaged cores or computers is a percent chance that the warp will disengage partway to the destination. On warp engage the most damaged core (being used, meaning connected to the computer operating it) the weakest core can sustain only 25% of its regular range at a theoretical, but unreachable 0% hp. If the ship's warp range is 10 for example and the core has 500hp (33% of max 1500hp) than the max range of the ship on jump is approximately 50% or 5 systems because the function

(100% warp_range) - (100% - core_hp_%) * 75%=Operational_range

where warp_range=10 and core_hp_%=33%.

If the ship attempts to jump anything under this value, here 5 systems, there is no chance it will be destroyed. If the ship tries to jump further than this there is a chance the ship will drop out of warp partway, somewhere random between the start and its destination (not 5 systems away and its destination). The chance of failure here is linear to 50% chance of failure at 2x operational range. Every core that has the lowest damage will go through the failure probability individually.

Probability= 50% * (Attempted_warp_range - Operational_Range) / (Operational_range)

In the event of failure the ship will only make some random partial distance between it and its destination with and the overloaded warp core (multiple if there was more than one core that went through the probability of failure and failed) will explode the same as before, but with a 1.25 multiplier to radius because the core was charged when it overloaded this time.

Operation

The warp drive computer once selected on the hotbar and activated will queue a GUI like navigation that will list the available warp beacons in max_range. This means warp beacons that are online and unblocked. Faction status can not prevent you from warping to a warp beacon, but enemy turrets may be on the other side. There could be a checkbox to display only beacons owned by your faction.

The Hyperspace drive could have its own GUI where it will display max_range, operational_range, and if a destination is typed in total power required, min time to spool up (meaning full battery drain time + time from power production), and max time to spool up (Meaning power from production). If there is no space for the ship at its destination sector it will display an error saying that there is no room to jump to that sector.

Warfare/Special Circumstances

I think damaged cores is pretty much covered here, but suggestions are welcome :D

If an object (ship/turret/mine/etc.) manages to gain enough momentum to throw itself into the incoming warp zone after it was engaged and past the repulsion of the event horizon than it will rapidly begin to disintegrate inside the zone and all the mass that is disintegrated will factor into an explosion once the warping ship arrives. Mass that is not disintegrated will be teleported to the departure point of the incoming ship. This only applies to blocks inside the event horizon. A ship larger than the incoming warp zone that is partially inside will partially disintegrate, and blocks inside the zone will be teleported allowing use against an enemy vessel to take out large chunks of enemy ships if used correctly :D.

More possibly adopted from replies :D

Power requirement graphs (examples) to be added

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    so I tried doing some math with my ship.
    Mass about 2500
    power 65,000 e/sec

I found that (blah physics acceleration blah blah) that including acceleration and decceleration 20,000 power could get me a test ship 25 mass, 3000m away or 3 systems. so mass aside about 6650 e/system. Cool

and the formula for a power requirement I am experimenting with is 1.1 ^ x * 6650 and found graphically that this has a lower energy requirement than flying there, so I made this an addition to the flying power requirement. now energy required = 1.1 ^ x * 6650 + 6650 * x

And the total amount of time to charge up my my warp drive to travel 10 systems using this formula is 3221 seconds D: while flying would only take 714 seconds

Will continue to work on this, and I did realize my ship is terribly optimized for power generation. but really it was 4x faster to fly there, soo sad face right now

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    managed to redo my power system, doubled generation and reduced mass to about 2250 woot, sadly spoolup time for the same formula was still 1300s

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Because clearly I am failing today, for some reason the amount of time to generate the energy to move systems even linearly is greater than the time it would take to fly there, so clearly I am messing up somewhere, or my ship really does have too much mass for its own good. Could be my ship, but this is ridiculous.

Reaction score
    Rework option. for a more useful hyperdrive

I had a simlair idea that might be better suited.

lets drop beacons first off.

Lets focus on warp gates.

So warp gate could be a new kind of structure, with 3 block restrictions.

no thrustors

a cap on power gen at 10 power cubes.

A block to shoot power into becuase they can\'t generate there own power. (this should make warpgates contested zones with people trying to jump and giving power to the gate and others taking it away, this game needs contested zones other than spawn.)

The center ring of the structure should be composed of hardened hull and proccesed ice planet crystal. (think of kinda a stargate sg-1 thing)

warp gates could have three settings. Faction, preset or randomized

Faction would link the gate to your faction only warp system.

preset would Take you to the nearest nonfaction gate at a sector.(the gate would remeber prevous warp gates it found for conveince)

Randomized. Time for a bit of fun eh? Randomized would be like a unstable setting that would plop your out any were, With some side effects of corse, 1/10 of chance to land too close to a sun, 3/10 of a chance for pirates, 3/10 chance to land on a planet with all energy drained and disabled for 1 minute(upon rollign this, roll again for 1/5 chance of pirates).

And hyperdrive

really I kinda want there to be some use for consuables in the game, I don\'t want hyperdrive to be freewithout a warp gate . so I say to get hyperdrive, You first need to feed lava in to a partical re-extractor, Which turns the atoms into a liquad called 4c4g10s, This is used to supercharge your power system for 10 seconds, in a new block called the Hyper exelated reactor, Hyperdrive would then netrealize the power gen from this reactore and start storing it for a jump.(hyperdrive would be built like power systems but would provide a base engine boost instead of a power boost and greater hyperdrive structures would let you be more fuel efficant and travel further in a single jump.

one other thing you should need would be a nav computer either 1000, 2000, 3000 or 4000 (diffrent lvls have different hyperdrive plotting range sectors per computer,30,60,120,240). You could jump without this but you would end up in the gate system of random events and random plotting.

the balanceing.

Every 1k of mass a ship had would take a extra 0.5 seconds to warp with. Just the charge up time, no power increase from this.

So it would take a very long time for a big ship to warp.

Fuel lets say the for every 2k of mass you burn 5 lava into feul then into the hyperdrive. to go 5 sectors.

I would like to say that this is a condensed version of a earlier idea for a total ship expansion idea I had. That had liquads, mechanics( think redstone),drones,drills,tractors beams,colonys,farming,trading,better ai and engineering(aka a use for a crew) That is why the warp drive so crazy, The devoloper would probbaly die trying to implement my idea, it would take longer than his lifetime..

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    RogueXenoRenegade\'s idea is really good. It makes it very difficult to use these methods and i think thats the way it should be, mass travel mthods should not be easy.

Reaction score
    How about a more realistic approach?

Moving things at this speed would make the game very laggy as it would make it very difficult to generate terrain with entities moving at these obsene speeds, so how about just having a warp drive that would \"warp\" you to a sector with the correct coords?

there would of course have to be a ignition time as well as a cooldown, but I feel that this is something that could acctually be added into the game. would be much easier on hardware and coding would be easier, prehaps not as cool but hey, I like the idea :)

see what you can do mates

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    The idea is for teleportation, its just a matter of energy requirements in order to do so.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I think I said something about warp gates, if I didn\'t I meant too, but I did forget about powersupply units. Personally I think the warp drive would be viable if there was power storage and the constant was brought down into 4000 instead of 6500 then you could use the drive linearly and arrive faster than flying to the destination manually. I think the main problem here is that I counted on a greater energy storage, but currently the energy storage blocks don\'t really do anything significant. The solution I see to warp would be if the recieving beacon and the warping ship both pool energy into the warp requirement, this would, with a large well powered station, greatly boost the warp drives of small ships.

I think the beacon idea has some merit because the warp drive, being the less energy intensive drive (supposedly) requires infrastructure on the receivng end. Player built beacons would also have limited range by size and could allow lock on by stargates to reduce the power need

Stargates could be Trading Guild or Pirate controlled structures that if conquered can be used as you said to launch you to the next starsystems recieving stargate. Players should be allowed to build these stargates too, and they should be expensive or require fuel, like lava as you said, to operate.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    l love this idea it sounds great but l think it you shouldnt be able to jump when in combat it would make the game to easy!

Reaction score
    Drop the lore first

Warp Drive> Fast Travel to Beacon/Warp Gate (ITS JUST A FUCKING NAME) Less Power Requirement

Hyperdrive> More Expensive Allows Fast Travel To Any Specified Travel

For Both More Modules(Same Rule Blah Blah Blah) More Range, Energy Consumed Per XXX Meter/Sectors Based On Size Of Ship