Wants, Needs, Shinies...

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I've created this post to log 'wants, needs and shinies...' in regards to Starmade. Over the last month i've had a lot fo time to think and scribble notes but I generally fail to put the list into any post so here it goes. I want to run a server using starmade with a particular 'feel' to it. I'll list here what I want as far as control over the setting (the game itself). To meet my expectations and needs I think the following woudl be terribly useful. I will just list things as they come to me then research and see if any mention has been made about their inclusion later.
    Players start in a basic starter ship called a Light_Trader. It is under 40 tons and is equipped with a basic cannon, pair of salvager beams and faction block. Within the safe zone of the starter sector(s) the players acclimate and learn to play if they are new. Safe zone(s) is also a place they can retreat to. The safe zones are populated with old empire technology that disables weapons though not salvage beams, allowing mining in their areas.
    Economics

• Shop frequency/rarity

• Turning shops off where they don't spawn any more, none spawn or a limited number spawn

• Space Station frequency/rarity

• Turning space stations off where they don't spawn any more, none spawn or a limited number spawn

• Disabling shipbuilding by players by default (in a scenario where the admin controls the types size and power of vessels completely)...disable catalog ship uploads/purchases (you can purchase ships in deep space at the moment - which woudl kill my ideas for gameplay).

• enabling shipbuilding by players that have met certain criteria (allow them to build only at a faction station for instance; within certain tonnage limits)

• control shop commodities, frequency for sale and the sale prices. my preference would be to disable sale of all items outside of safe zones in shops that are not controlled by plaers who make the items for sale with factories.

• player shops/faction shops, fed by factories to make product from raw materials mined by players.

• disable salvager operations on planetary bodies

• minecraft like planetary mining with hand tools for rare elements by individual players not their ships

• admin ability to set spawn rates of all elements and whether or not they'll show up in 'loot' from pirates/factions, on planets or asteroids or all three.
    Design/Faction Warfare

• Shop design, looks and size; being able to design and insert a particular shop type into the game and replacing the current default shop;

• making shops destructible but not salvagable (also ties into econonomic needs)

• space station design, looks and size; being able to design and insert a particular shop type into the game and replacing the current default shop

• making stations destructible but not salvagable (also ties into econonomic needs)

• Admin created player-joinable factions
    Server Preferences

• Limiting ships by tonnage according to their admin designated 'class' on server (so that starter ships, though modifiable, cannot be made into gargantuan vessels). Example: A starter ship: Light Trader, is 40 tons. Its classed as a trader and cannot be made larger than 60 tons. The classification of vessels and tonnage limits need ot be setable by the admin.

• Turning off uploads of non-admin created vessels, skins, et cetera

• Limiting contiguous stacking of particular blocks

• Admin selectable 'safe' areas/sectors that disable all weapons fire though not salvagers.

• Prevent planet or asteroid blocks from being added to ships or stations.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I tried somthing like this when I made my Minecraft server. The rules killed it.

Reaction score
    I feel by limiting the ability for players to build you would be taking the main thing that Starmade is about, and that\'s building ships. To be honest I wouldn\'t play a server like this, there does need to be structure and rules on a server, but not to the point where everything I do is controlled.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Then what\'s the point? There\'s better space shooters/flight sims out there.

Building your own vessel is more than half the fun!

Fum

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    The man has a dozen great ideas and you nit-pick the building restriction? If he wants to, he should be allowed to. I don\'t care.
    But I do love the idea of turning off stations, pirate ships, shops, and forcing players to inhabit planets, mine, build their own factories and then go to the stars to fight over asteroids and riches. A limit on map size would also help make the fight over resources more fierce.

Reaction score
    Ship building is one of the game\'s major features, I don\'t see how that\'s nitpicking. Besides its not like I was saying that he\'s not allowed to, I\'m not in control of his life. I\'m saying for that reason I wouldn\'t play on that server and gave the reason why.

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    Setting restrictions to ship size would no doubt force the system to check if every block placement was valid. Im not sure if thats something the game can handle.

Reaction score
    You gotta be fucking kidding me. Banning the creation of player-made ships? That\'s the entire basis for the entire goddamn game.

Go play Roblox or something.