[Voting] USD 1.4 standard.

Do you like this one?

• Yes, this is perfect.

• Yes, but this needs improvement.

• No, I will use my own standard.

• No, we need a different one.

• No, because it's a NeonSturm-thread (WARNING: Votes are publicly visible!)

Results are only viewable after voting.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I believe I am talking about the usd 1.0. I think that's what I'm going to use. I have also already started using it on my server

Reactions: mindlord0013

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    My graphic is only 3 KB in size. If a thread contains many graphics, it adds up and I don't want to bloat the internet unnecessarily.
    My SSD was bloated with 200 GB images and videos,
    Don't worry, I'm sure the internet can handle a few extra pictures. keptick has hundreds of pictures in his thread, and the internet is still here! ;)

and if you're worried about otherpeoples computers, stick them in a spoiler.

You know if you right click your C:\ drive in my computer, go to disk cleanup, you can clean out your temp files if they are really a problem.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    i picked the no because it is a - who?- thread because the other options were insufficient and intended to lure people into clicking other options which all would not have gone in the real right direction.
    i prefer standards people agree on because they make sense and not because a single individuum wants their own thread.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    I don't want any personal credits for that design.
    I think it is just the single perfect solution and there needs to be a vote-thread for it.

The U$D 1.4 docking standard can dock to anything with at least a 2x2 or 3x2 passage.

You build 3 doors ((not required for 2x2 and 3x3 docks, only for bigger))

|||______|||___|||
    |||______|||___|.|
    1st + 2nd doors are normal air-lock doors.
    3rd door (the red one at right) spares a 3x2y passage above [1] to either match the own or minimal size.
    • But you can use multiple stages for different sizes.
    • While nothing is docked, it will open completely - to not look ugly.
    Before you build the air-lock door, you need to leave at least 1 block free space for air-lock buttons, etc.
    • The docking collar itself also have to be free, for the compatibility door (red) and to not activate cuz of miss-aimed docking beams.
    • The red barrier may either need to be a door, or something else which interrupts the docking beam to hide air-lock controls from it.
    • For the 2m and 3m (inner diameter) versions, just leave some space before the airlock to not have the controls for it or light touching the outer part of your docking collar

For 1.4a = minimal, your ship has to have at least:
    • the Docker [D] and the Rail [1]
    For 1.4b = standard, your ship has to have all 5 blocks.
    • The blocks are placed near the centre.
    • The docker on bottom left, the Rails on bottom right and clockwise 90° rotations.
    For 1.4c = full, your ship has to have 4 Dockers counter-clockwise to the rails.

This means that:
    • You can dock in all 4 possible directions, except while docking standard to a minimal dock.
    • The minimal dock itself can dock in all 4 possible directions to any standard or full dock, thus it's perfect for drones.

Following picture shows the Standard configuration.
    This is the dock. View attachment 11587

I think inward facing arrows (direction of dockers and rails) fits better because that also makes sense with the B and C types (4 rails, 1|4 docks)

Standard docking sizes (inner diameter) are:
    • 2 blocks (supported by all which fulfil above mentioned requirements)
    • 3 blocks (supported by all which fulfil above mentioned requirements)
    • 4 blocks.
    • 8 blocks.
    • 16 blocks.
    • 2^n blocks.
    • And wide docks with half height or a quarter of height compared to width.

Ships which support the USD 1.4 full and standard docking also need
    • at least one dock which expands (rail system) to the boundary box and beyond OR have a dock at the boundary box either:
      • A: Pointing away from the ship
      • B: Pointing forward or C
      • C: Pointing backward or B
    • in order to dock themselves to other ships.
    I'm not voting one way or the other. I think you should implement what you want on your server. Given that the new start station will be using a USD I figure most will go with it.

The fact is there are billions of ways of designing a USD. Not every ship design lends itself to the use of a USD. As you can see in the image below there are two different size tankers the one closest to the camera is 1/4 the size of the rear one. A USD would be the size of its cockpit.
    It has a 1x2 door with a single turret docker at the bottom facing up.

The more things are nerfed the less people can have worry about aesthetics when they need a ship to function so having nice big docking ports may be soon a thing of the past unless some of the nerfing is done away with.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I think most people will just go with the usual 3x3 USD dock due to the youtubes and files available for download. That's all I've really done is download the one from the community downloads and modified it for rails doors and some of my ships internal logic.

If you have gravity tied into the USD then the rotation of the dock won't really matter unless other parts of the ship is getting in the way.

I would assume that normally a dock designed for other ships to dock to would extend somewhat out from the hull.

Not sure the USD I downloaded had a forced undock option. I'm going to have to do some testing and maybe alteration later.

Reactions: GRHayes

therimmer96

The Cake Network Staff Senior button unpusher
    Reaction score
    Perhaps you never use your phone outside the "free wifi" areas, but some peps do that, and check schemes of an idea on ascii save money on the other way of using ascii schemes you can have a better idea of whatever are you seeying more than on a pic.
    I always use my phone outside of wifi. If I have wifi, I'm on my surface. The difference is that I'm aware I'm in 2015 and have a data limit and speeds to match ;)

Usually the temp files issue only works on internet explorer, Are you being ironic righty?
    I use exclusivly chrome, and well...

And if that is really an issue, use CCleaner

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I did not vote. I have played this game roughly two months and have very little to no idea what the OP is even talking about. The diagrams provided are not clear and the bullet points make no sense to me. This is obviously one in a chain of other threads, or just a continuation of some other discussion which I am not privy to or have not found previously on my browsing the forums.

cheers