Read by Schine Void Spaces

MeRobo

Scrub
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    What about an occasional, ancient dreadnaught from a forgotten war that has drifted for millenia in the void between galaxys... And that might wake up if you disturb it...
    Like a giant War Drone?
    Wouldm't it be awesome if there was a low chance that the dreadnought could drop it*s blueprint after being defeated?

Reactions: Lecic
    Reaction score
    While we're at it there should be 1-2 stations per system anyways
    What about an occasional, ancient dreadnaught from a forgotten war that has drifted for millenia in the void between galaxys... And that might wake up if you disturb it...
    As long as it is configurable down to fractional values, be my guest.
    In my book the void should have nothing but void (cf. first post in thread) for system after system, not "but 1-2 stations and an occasional dreadnought, and X, oh and Y and Z would be cool too", and if something does show up after all, it should be a real évent extraordinaire, or just not happen at all.

Reactions: Ixalite
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Totally necro'd for reasons (good existing discussion, no more recent similar threads - Redesigning space stations is more about the stations themselves).

What I would like to see is a more "natural" distribution. According to Trello, global/npc factions are a planned thing. Presuming multiple factions on a server, it would be preferable to have the server generate density nodes of activity that sort of "push" other factions away; Trade Guild "Core" systems would have little to no pirate presence, while a Pirate Clan core system wouldn't have any Trade Guild presence. Pirate-type factions would generally avoid more developed Empire-type factions but cluster closer to Merchant-type factions. Pirate factions would also have a scattered presence in void systems a few systems away from star systems.

However, past that, the total number of stations would drop drastically with a maximum of 2 stations per intergalactic system (5+ void systems away from galaxy borders), and even that could be something configured at world generation - how "empty" intergalactic space should feel. It should also be a configured setting as to how "settled" further galaxies should be - Have the empires, pirates, or merchants bothered to traverse that vast gulf, set up warp gate networks, and establish a lasting presence? Might there be new factions a few galaxies over that are entirely alien to the starting ones? WHERE DOES IT END?!?!?!

Just my thoughts. Generally, I agree that intergalactic void systems should be pretty empty. Maybe a few asteroids here and there and the occasional station once there are a few void systems between it and the nearest star.

Reaction score
    Like a giant War Drone?
    Wouldm't it be awesome if there was a low chance that the dreadnought could drop it*s blueprint after being defeated?
    Wouldn't need to drop it. You could just board it.

I agree voidspace is a bit busy at the moment, but I'm not opposed to the odd secret base out where no one is likely to find it, or ideas like the giant war drone. Maybe even a Reaper from Mass Effect esque faction, like a mysterious group with powerful ships operating in between galaxies for some reason.

nightrune

Wizard/Developer/Project Manager
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Thinking Positive
    Wouldn't need to drop it. You could just board it.

I agree voidspace is a bit busy at the moment, but I'm not opposed to the odd secret base out where no one is likely to find it, or ideas like the giant war drone. Maybe even a Reaper from Mass Effect esque faction, like a mysterious group with powerful ships operating in between galaxies for some reason.
    Great thread to rez. Everything in here sounds awesome.

Reaction score
    While we're at it there should be 1-2 stations per system anyways
    Agreed, I have a slightly difficult time starting out finding a planet without a pirate station anywhere near(though last time I was able to just build a spawn homebase).

Blakpik

Angler
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Totally necro'd for reasons (good existing discussion, no more recent similar threads - Redesigning space stations is more about the stations themselves).

What I would like to see is a more "natural" distribution. According to Trello, global/npc factions are a planned thing. Presuming multiple factions on a server, it would be preferable to have the server generate density nodes of activity that sort of "push" other factions away; Trade Guild "Core" systems would have little to no pirate presence, while a Pirate Clan core system wouldn't have any Trade Guild presence. Pirate-type factions would generally avoid more developed Empire-type factions but cluster closer to Merchant-type factions. Pirate factions would also have a scattered presence in void systems a few systems away from star systems.

However, past that, the total number of stations would drop drastically with a maximum of 2 stations per intergalactic system (5+ void systems away from galaxy borders), and even that could be something configured at world generation - how "empty" intergalactic space should feel. It should also be a configured setting as to how "settled" further galaxies should be - Have the empires, pirates, or merchants bothered to traverse that vast gulf, set up warp gate networks, and establish a lasting presence? Might there be new factions a few galaxies over that are entirely alien to the starting ones? WHERE DOES IT END?!?!?!

Just my thoughts. Generally, I agree that intergalactic void systems should be pretty empty. Maybe a few asteroids here and there and the occasional station once there are a few void systems between it and the nearest star.
    Part of me thinks that there should be a specific category for 'Intergalactic Stations', a whole set of highly alien looking station, or ruined stations that drifted from the galaxy after being knocked away in a fight, thousands of years ago.