Vita version?

Reaction score
    with the full version of minecraft being announced on vita, it's not too hard to imagine a starbound vita port. I personally would play the s**t out of that. Spaceships on the go? yes please.

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Councillor Gold
    The differences between starmade and minecraft abound. For one, Minecraft has a large development team that gets paid to work on their game, adding in new features and improving (its already great) stability every few months. It went gold two years ago and is a stable and official release that people are required to pay for to play.

Starmade has one guy programming this. This is barely an alpha release, and is currently free to play. It\'s still wildly unstable (in comparison) and has a lot of work to do.

I wouldn\'t get your hopes up for a vita release.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    ...Vita developement kits aren\'t handed out to every game dev just because. Sony wants to be selective of what sort of high-end game they want on their machine, and though StarMade is a golden game, it just isn\'t as famous as Minecraft.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Just to add a bit more to that: Minecraft has come out on Vita now. How many years after its creation? How many sales after its creation? Pretty sure that\'s 4 years, and ~11 MILLION sales (actually, 11.9, and rising at about a million every few months). Give it time. I\'m hoping, personally, that this game takes off. However, I\'m also worried that it\'ll reach the same status as games I\'ve seen scroll through the steam Sales section over time. There are tons of games which are essentially shut down completely by people claiming that it is a minecraft clone, or believing it has nothing new to give.

I wouldn\'t expect transfer to any other platforms, or compatability with various controllers, until it\'s made it past this point.

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Councillor Gold
    Erm, going gold is an industry term meaning \"final release\"

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    It used to be $99, but they got rid of the fee about 3 months ago. So, in theory, just about anyone with the skill, time, and motivation can make a game for the Vita (actually, a game for any PSM certified device).

However (and this is a big however), there are a number of things that make it unlikely you will see Starmade get to the Vita by way of PSM:

1. Games and apps made for PlayStation Mobile run in a virtual machine, so there\'s the overhead of the VM to worry about. Some version of Starmade could probably be made to work in such an environment, but I\'m pretty sure it wouldn\'t be as good as what you get on the PC, or even as a native Vita game.
    2. PSM programs are all C#, which is awesome, because C# is great, but Starmade is written in Java, so you\'re looking at a port of every bit of code from Java to C#, and that doesn\'t even address library differences that could make the conversion a miserable process.

Anyway, just commenting because I saw the post about Vita dev kits, etc. and was reminded of the PlayStation Mobile program.