View Screen / Xray window

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Several suggestions have cropped up about "viewing screens" that link to a camera or something and render an outside view on the surface of blocks. I think I've finally thought up a way to do this without absolutely murdering players' frame rate.

Well, this is a little difficult to describe so I hope this comes out clear. You know how some transparencies in games bug out and show only the skybox behind them? Something similar could be done to allow a "window" from deep inside of a ship. However, showing the skybox alone is only a cosmetic feature. I have something else in mind: a block that renders everything behind it EXCEPT the ship it is placed on and things docked to it.

The primary purpose of this is to allow a clearer outside view from a bridge with an otherwise obscured view, such as one built around the core. This could also be helpful to provide a nice starry background for luxury quarters or anything else that warrants a skybox.

I'm not sure how difficult this would be. It requires a lot of messing around with transparency code to make the right things appear/disappear through the pseudo-screen block. If it is possible to optimize a true camera-linked view screen to the point that it will not impact frame rate, then a screen like that (which has been suggested before) would be a better choice for the game, providing a Star Trek-like viewing screen. In that case, my idea would be better suited as a cosmetic feature.

Reactions: Admiral_Wolf
    Reaction score
    I think I know what you are getting at.

Go to 1:04 -
    Im assuming you means something similar to this, where you can see outside and around you despite having no direct line of sight. And I think it would be great.

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I think I know what you are getting at.

Go to 1:04 -
    Im assuming you means something similar to this, where you can see outside and around you despite having no direct line of sight. And I think it would be great.
    That's correct. This way a logically placed bridge (protected in the belly of the beast) can have a nice view. Right now it's a choice between no view, no protection, or both mediocre.

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I currently have a dummy "viewing screen" made of black standard armor behind glass.