Video-Capture Software

Reaction score
    I'm just curious, what kinds of video capturing software do you all use (especially the frequent youtubers)?

Fraps is free but it has that annoying tag right at the top of the screen.

Reaction score
    Yeah just pirate fraps, I've had it for a while and it's got no issues. I liked it so much I ended up buying it to support them.

Nvidia has one built in but it's total shit.

Bench

Creative Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    Yeah I've always used Fraps, easiest to use and gives good quality.

fire219

1200° Plasma
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    It doesn't have quite the same ease of use as Fraps, but I use Open Broadcaster Software (OBS). It is the only capture software I have seen this far that can take full frame rate video without having a beast of a computer, and the files out of it tend to be a lot smaller than from other programs.

takethispie

Titan-class builder
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 9
    yeah +1 for fraps
    the only downside is it's really hard to record other things than video games , for example I tried to record video on logisim (software to create circuit with logic gates, etc) and it crashes at random time x)

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Yeah I use fraps. Same story as with ToyotaSupra, I pirated it and then ended up buying it to support them because I liked it so much.

Reaction score
    yeah +1 for fraps
    the only downside is it's really hard to record other things than video games , for example I tried to record video on logisim (software to create circuit with logic gates, etc) and it crashes at random time x)
    Have you got got DWM mode on?

My issue is that some games use F9 or F10 as some other button, like quicksave/quickload do I'm saving CONSTANTLY all the way.

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    I use to use fraps but then i switched over to Action! i just installed a new processor for my comp and it was causing fraps to function intermittently.

so far Action has some insanely small file sizes while not losing any quality

MossyStone48

Cmdr Deathmark
    Reaction score
    I've used fraps and OBS AND shadowplay. Shadowplay doesn't seem to work with StarMade and if you have to tab out at anytime you can say goodbye to your recording. Fraps works really well but the files it produces are inglorious. Output to a USB 3.0 or internal secondary SATA2/3 are the only way to go as disk writes will destroy your FPS when frapping it. Don't get me started on the size. Those files end up being huge. OBS is obvious. At least for me it is. Even with a less-than-forgiving upload bandwidth I can still push out a halved 1920x1080 at roughly 15fps over twitch and the file sizes are super-sweet. It also takes advantage of the NVENC as well so you get some of the benefits of shadowplay without the incompatibility. Best of all OBS doesn't seem to kill FPS when you're forced to use your primary HDD as output.

In any situation I've attempted I have gotten better performance from making a USB 3.0 drive my output instead. It's just a good rule of thumb to not bog down your primary with loads of disk writes.