Very low gpu usage while running StarMade

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    I have noticed that my system doesn't get me the fps it deserves, my gpu is an r9 280x. I downloaded msi afterburner to then check my gpu usage and I was suprised to see that my gpu usage was fluctuating at 20% and sometime suddenly going to 40% but then going back to 20%. This explains a lot but at the same time very little. So I get low fps because of low gpu usage...SO WHY THE HECK IS THAT $300 BAD BOY SLACKIN OFF!!??

MossyStone48

Cmdr Deathmark
    Reaction score
    Sounds like an issue people are having with defective R9 series GPUs. Some folks claim to fix it by switching off of DX11 for another renderer. As it stands StarMade only uses OpenGL 2.1 so you might have a card that's not 100% happy to GL. Test another game using DX11 then switch it down to DX10. If the FPS suddenly spikes and the usage hits the 70s then you have a card you need to RMA.

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Sounds like an issue people are having with defective R9 series GPUs. Some folks claim to fix it by switching off of DX11 for another renderer. As it stands StarMade only uses OpenGL 2.1 so you might have a card that's not 100% happy to GL. Test another game using DX11 then switch it down to DX10. If the FPS suddenly spikes and the usage hits the 70s then you have a card you need to RMA.
    thanks I'll see if what happens

MossyStone48

Cmdr Deathmark
    Reaction score
    in the game's setting it'll show a choice of rendering engines. on super old game it was usually, software, dx7, dx9. more modern games (last 6 years) they pulled software rendering and off opengl, dx10 and dx11 and sometimes an alternative opengl engine. a lot of emulated stuff works like this too so when in doubt VM ware.

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    ok I'll try that
    just wondering, do you happen to know anything windows does shortly after it is freshly installed? because i play starmade flawlessly when i refresh my pc but after a few hours of playing it always goes back the way it is now. I don't install anything and disable windows updater to.

MossyStone48

Cmdr Deathmark
    Reaction score
    The best fix ever for windows issues is to install linux.
    I suspect windows is forcing your driver to 'update' to a crappier version of the driver. Grab the forceware driver from Nvidia directly. Make sure all software that can update your driver is disabled. That mean manufacturer updates, windows updaters, special driver genies. All that jazz.

Reactions: rocketman221
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    well I tested planetside 2 for example, couldn't find the directx thing but anyway I just wanted to test how well i played, and the fps is very good at times, but when I am in a very detailed area for some reason the usage goes DOWN and along with that the fps also. the cpu usage is also low :(

MossyStone48

Cmdr Deathmark
    Reaction score
    It seems like to me that Nvidia and AMD are taking cute shortcuts in hopes of keeps production costs low and people buying new hardware. Taking a page from Intel I suspect. As it is I am recommending to anyone who asks to replace cell phones, tablets and laptops every 2 years. Sell your old one at half what you paid (someone will find a use for it) and then get the latest tech that cost roughly the same as the one you are replacing it with. I have an AMD c50 and an A6-4200 I plan on putting up for sale to get a new A8 or an A10 that's one or two years old. I've learned my lesson with C E and A4/A6 series AMD hardware. Go A8-series or better or go home. Better yet grab an i5 or i7 with a R7 or better gpu.

Altho that c50 still plays StarMade with few issues. I really should retest it.

Reaction score
    StarMade only uses OpenGL 2.1
    Lol well thats the problem, any GL older than 3.2 is considered legacy and its so old that it causes compatability issues with some newer drivers.

How does your computer run minecraft? It uses basically the same version of GL

Edit: Wait SM uses array_textures which are 3.0, it must be using an extension then

Reaction score
    i currently have a laptop with and i7, nvidia 710m (my biggest weakpoint) and 8gb ddr3 but the game still makes me laptop burn like crazy on the lowest settings, i can run mincraft on highest setting, bf3 on low-medium settings, and i was able to run ps2 in 2013 but now i cant anymore :s. it once was so hot while playing starmade it shut down. i was concidering getting an external cooler for so it doesnt shut down anymore it but that still doesnt explain this game runs so bad on my laptop :/

can anyone explain the differences in performance between minecraft and starmade because minecraft runs WAY better than starmade

Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    i know that starmade uses multiple cpu cores while minecraft doesn't

plus starmade has more resource demanding textures/lighting than default minecraft

Reaction score
    i know that starmade uses multiple cpu cores while minecraft doesn't

plus starmade has more resource demanding textures/lighting than default minecraft
    In my case, cpu isnt a problem but i think the textures/lighting and the rendering is a problem for my gpu. I think the rendering is a problem because in minecraft, the only think thats unlimited is the x and z, the y is limited, but in starmade, everything is unlimited so rendering is a but heavier.

But i hope when people can mod the game, someone makes a mod like optifine from minecraft so the game will be lighter on the gpu