Versioning Updating

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    G'day,

Just an observation/feedback...

I play on a starmade server fairly regularly, and it boasts of being a 24/7 server, but the issue with that is, that when StarMade updates (as it does every coupla' days), I suddenly don't know what version the server is running... Is it running the old version, is it now running the new version, should I update, ohh no, I've updated, but it's still running the old version, I'd better downgrade... Why is this an issue? Although it's a 24/7, the admin sleeps too, and he can't be checking for the latest version every few minutes...

This might seem like a petty excuse, and it seems stupid, but how hard could it be for you to have a little dialog popping up saying what version the server is running, whether it's the right version or not.

My other suggestion is, rather than updating every 1.5 days, could you perhaps update weekly? (Unless there's some major bug). For example, making small shields more powered, and more sheilds less powered - did there really have to be an update for this? Or could it have waited for a week or so.

So, in summary, I'm suggesting that:

1) You update less frequently

2) You have some way of seeing what version a server is, without the admin having to post it on the forums.

Thanks for listening!

-Bara

schema

Cat God
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    The reason I update so frequently is mainly to fix critical bugs. While still in alpha stage I like to put out bug fixes as fast as possible.

With the old update you got an EOF exception with a version mismatch, but now connecting to the server will tell you, you what version it is. SO to be safe when there is a new update, try to connect to the server with your current version, and don\'t update as long as that works. Also the server lists are fixed with the new version, so you can also look it up there.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    G\'day,

Thanks for this confirmation! I hope I didn\'t seem too \"nagging\"!

For the record, having a lot of fun with it!

Just another thing I\'ve been thinking about, and I\'m not sure if you\'ve addressed it, but I\'m not sure after about ~2 weeks - 1 month if people would get bored with it, because they\'ve covered all the content. I can\'t speak from experience, because I\'ve been playing for about 2 days. Having said this, because it is a sandbox, then they can\'t really \"finish\" the game. Perhaps this will turn out line Minecraft, in the way that people keep making new stuff, even though they\'ve used all the content before.

Again, not sure if you\'ve thought about this, but it might be a good idea to take a leaf out of Minecraft\'s book, and not release a TON of content all at once, perhaps like teraria (?), so, once people have played it, they know all stuff there is to know. If you release it gradually, then the game still has potential and interest, because there is always new content being added, and new things to discover.

Apart from that, great game, has lots of potential, if you funnel the energy of the fans right :)

-Baralabite

P.S. For the record, I recon having aliens inhabbiting planets in later versions would be really cool... Then you could really get that star-trek feel :P

JTJSniperBee

Cat Person
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Schema its really hard to update servers, in a update can you implement a server auto updater that takes effect as soon as that update is downloaded? if so that will be great

Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Councillor Gold
    This thread is two months old; please check the date when topics were posted and when the most recent post was made in the future.