Vayger Battle Carrier 1:1 attempt

Reaction score
    vayger battle carrier from the mod: Homeworld 2: complex

(updated 9:2:2013) length, 1100 m (with the mock up for the adv sensor arrays)

going to start working on this beauty, i love this ship design in this mod more than any other, so... im going to make one to fly around in. plan on having a full interior and docking/launch system

est length, 950 m

est width, 110 m (hull) 180m (with turret pylons) [heavy turrets est 25m tall, 35m wide and long, turret barrel 30 m long]

est height 180 m

weapon compliment: 4 point defence turrets, 2 heavy quad cannon turrets, 2 medium dual cannon turrets, 2 medium missile launch tubes

hangar compliment: 24 corvette class ships (will try and make some of the awesome corvette designs from the mod with it)

pardon the large picture, theres a lot of detail to keep track of :D this is going to be fuuuunnn

Reaction score
    buaha, asl?

but seriously... needs more homeworld ships, so many damned halo/stargate ships.. not belitteling them in any way, just that the designers at relic are fucking brilliant. (this particular ship was made by the crew at complex mod, but the textures and theme were from the base hw2 models)

Reaction score
    I agree, We need more homeworld ships. I tried to make a Resource collector, but it was not that good.

Reaction score
    I loved the ships designs so much, especially the Taiidani vessels from HW1. I never played the mod you mentioned, but it seems to have several similarities to the heavy cruiser I\'m making right now. Neat.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    and here I thought it\'d be the scrapped Super Carrier that was replaced by the Flagship...

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Im a big fan of Homeworld, and Warhammer too, too much Halo, and StarTrek,Star Wars ships going on, No Homeworld 2, or Warhammer ships going :/

Reaction score
    ive already made one (the Agamemnon super carrier)

link:

http://star-made.org/content/wip-vayger-agamemnon-super-carrier-updated-post-32

Reaction score
    updated: started laying out the rough frame, goddamn doing frational angle spars in this game is rough, go go cubes.

(image in main post)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Rock on, dude! This is a great project! I love homeworld ships, and I have been hoping to see more. I look forward to your progress and seeing how you go about making it! How will you go about setting up the power, shields, and weapons? I am curious.

I have been trying to make a 1:1 scale Tiger\'s Claw (700m long) from Wing Commander 1 based on the 2D sprites used in the game (if anyone knows where the original 3D model is, lemme know... :D), and I have begun with a wire frame thing like you have. Unfortunately, my dinky computer can\'t handle such big ships very well (atrociously low framerates), and this plus the limited ship-building tools really make building it a headache for me. :S I\'ll finish it eventually though, and I think I will post what I have so far thanks to the inspiration you have given me. :D Cheers!

P.S. Your Agamemnon rocks.

P.P.S I totally agree with you that Relic\'s ship designers were awesome. The ships from all the games are so mouthwateringly cool.

Reaction score
    im going to be setting up the locations of all the modules in their proper places, shields will cover the inside of the hull spaces, reactors and capacitors will be back in the engineering section behind the hangar inlet (the dual sided gaping blue hangar in the mid/rear), weapons, obviously, on the turrets, will put missile tubes along the sides with an outlet for them just inside the hangar bay exit underneath, as in the mod for homeworld im getting this from, the huge cruise missiles are constructed to order in the large bays inside.

the docking modules will be set up inside for maximum space efficiency, will put docking ports for fighters on the roof and floor so i can fit everyone, its got a huge capacity.

the biggest challenge with this build will definitely be getting the angles of all the hull sections right, with such a massive ship, even a small offshoot throws the whole thing off, the above picture of the frame so far isnt going to be the final proportions i want, thats just the 3rd itteration of the top-bow section, GOD i wish there was a large ruler in this game, and a way to build more than 10 blocks at a time.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Awesome! I just found out about this editor made by jjaquinta (http://star-made.org/content/offline-ship-editor). It still needs a lot of work if it is to be as useful as the editors out there for minecraft (I don\'t think you can put down more than one block at a time thus far, but you can rotate your ship and move your core around, which is uber useful!) but it might develop into something super useful for making big ships in the future. It is actively being improved, so do be sure to take a look and keep an eye on it!

What I really think might be interesting for you is that the editor can import and manipulate voxelized models (in .obj format). Check out the thread to see some voxelized Homeworld models! You have to use another program to voxelize the 3D models, but perhaps you could ask the guy on the thread who voxelized the Homeworld models to do it since he seems to like Homeworld ships, too. I think the editor trouble with larger ships, but it might work better in the future. Just wanted to give you a heads up!

Reaction score
    thanks for the info, but i much prefer to attempt to build it by eye and walk around it (fly really) as its being built.