Implemented Variable speed rails

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    This is getting better and better. And just stacking the rails is the perfect way to have variable speeds. It's intuitive and does not rely on a menu.

Bench

Creative Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    i'll need to confirm exactly how but there will be some way speed will be controlled. In one of the layouts at least.

Also someone asked about movement. You will be able to move in all 3 axis on rails.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    It would also be cool, if rails would work between two entities if the rails are aligned right.
    In the current state that doesn't work :(

(I tried to build a rail from my station into a docked ship, to transfer another ship, consisting of a rail-docking-module, a core and a storage, if you know what I mean;) )

Reactions: Bench

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    This is getting better and better. And just stacking the rails is the perfect way to have variable speeds. It's intuitive and does not rely on a menu.
    For now, yes.

But it spams entities, you need multiple cores and you can't accelerate the automatic docking of multiple fighters over the same rail system with it.

I see it as a temporary solution - especially if you need to set up the logic sync, which is also more complex with the current dev builds.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    For now, yes.

But it spams entities, you need multiple cores and you can't accelerate the automatic docking of multiple fighters over the same rail system with it.

I see it as a temporary solution - especially if you need to set up the logic sync, which is also more complex with the current dev builds.
    Speaking of which will the need for a core in every move-able entity be here to stay? i.e at the moment every door requires a core :/

Also, would it not make sense to have the speed of the rails relevant to both mass and some external factor (like enhancers)? I like that this game tests my brain, so I cant say I'm a fan of simple GUI's for adjusting speed. 'Course that may just be me :p

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I like that this game tests my brain, so I cant say I'm a fan of simple GUI's for adjusting speed.
    I would also like a block-shape more, because it would be independent from GUI and GUI-mods, dialogue-language ...

But you have to respect those which want it easy too (at least if it does not hurt experts too much)

Bench

Creative Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    For now yes you will need a core, as it's built off the docking system. Enhancers will already be used to expand the mass supported on a rail, so adding another for speed might be a bit much, so we'll see

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    why not use enhancers for both? Or would that cause too much hassle? Perhaps size of enhancer group linked to rail effects one, while number of groups effects the other? Just chucking it out there

Bench

Creative Director
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 6
    hmm, i'll talk to schema about it, see what we come up with. There are existing plans but they may have changed.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I think it would be more intuitive to slave cannon systems to the rail blocks to change speed. You could use other weapon slaves for other effects on the rail system, but I can't yet imagine how the other systems would change the rail behavior. (E.g. Use beam slaves to change the number of degrees a rotator block turns?)

Edit: In addition to the benefit of intuitiveness, the use of weapon systems as behavior-changing-slaves would also reduce the number of additional BlockIDs needed.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    why not use enhancers for both? Or would that cause too much hassle? Perhaps size of enhancer group linked to rail effects one, while number of groups effects the other? Just chucking it out there
    Perhaps a new master-slave system with rail-blocks?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I did not tried the rails for the as I'm waiting them to be in stable update

But did someone sucessfully achieved some kind of powerful FIST with this?

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    TROLOLOLO

BTW : You can build a cage and easily trap players inside Rail-Docks.

Prisoner-Transport boxes ;)

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    For now yes you will need a core, as it's built off the docking system. Enhancers will already be used to expand the mass supported on a rail, so adding another for speed might be a bit much, so we'll see
    Is the mass capacity of the rail determined by the number of enhancers or by the dimensions of the enhancers? It would make sense to use the number for mass of the connected entity and dimensions for speed in specific directions.

On another note, high speeds could cause issues and I'd suggest doing something like this to prevent that:
    • Accelerate from stop instead of instantly taking on high velocity.
    • Set max speed (relative to rail) to server max speed. Perhaps overdrive on the thing riding the rails could increase this.
    • Make max acceleration a server option. (Perhaps the default could be a human-tolerable acceleration like 2g.)
    • If the top speed is just too high for the length of the rail, stop accelerating halfway down the rail and start decelerating back to stop.

Reactions: NeonSturm

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Is the mass capacity of the rail determined by the number of enhancers or by the dimensions of the enhancers? It would make sense to use the number for mass of the connected entity and dimensions for speed in specific directions.

On another note, high speeds could cause issues and I'd suggest doing something like this to prevent that:
    • Accelerate from stop instead of instantly taking on high velocity.
    • Set max speed (relative to rail) to server max speed. Perhaps overdrive on the thing riding the rails could increase this.
    • Make max acceleration a server option. (Perhaps the default could be a human-tolerable acceleration like 2g.)
    • If the top speed is just too high for the length of the rail, stop accelerating halfway down the rail and start decelerating back to stop.
    That would encourage clever rail-ways (not zig-zag but a straight line)

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    hmm, i'll talk to schema about it, see what we come up with. There are existing plans but they may have changed.
    are there any plans for wedged rails or something.
    i exualy dont know anything how, but atm haveing a big object going in rounds is not possible.
    think of a big ring around a station that you want to rotate, you dont want squere weird movements.
    maybe a rotation motor? atleast i hope something will come so that it is possible to have nice circle movements.