Implemented Variable speed rails

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4

Someone showed this to me just a little bit ago and it's really cool! I'm looking forward to the update so I can make some cool stuff with rails.

It got me thinking though: will there be a way to set the speed of rail movement? I hope so! This looks great for machinery, but for an elevator that would be far too slow to go very far. Since I want to create Metroid Prime-inspired elevators, it'd be a real bummer if I couldn't set the speed of my elevator's rails to something fast enough to at least get that kind of feel. Plus, I don't want to spend 30 seconds getting from one deck to another on my space ship.

Just a thought. Hopefully this has already been planned out.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Modder
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Starhaiden, you're completely missing the point - in the current public build, moving a turret like that on a ship is impossible, and the movement of the turret itself is also impossible.

I could of easily build a bigger turret for the GIF, but I wanted something small i could push out quickly to show the potential of the new system.

Now, back on topic:
    I hope we have variable speeds, and rotor blocks (constant rotation axis).
    Also, as soon as the rails interact with logic, I'll create another demo - dealio :D

Reactions: NeonSturm

Nauvran

Cake Build Server Official Button Presser
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    being able to set the speed either via a menu or additional blocks linked to the rails would defiantly be awesome.
    And most likely derpy as hell, just imagine that turret deploying with 10x speed.

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    This deploying could be used to hide Small turrets from Big-ass-Titan-guns.

Perhaps speed could adjust automatically depending on length of the trail => x seconds for whole length.
    Stop-blocks (which are toggled inactive) could help you managing the speed.

But perhaps this would crate lag with block-checks ... dunno how it is implemented (I would do it with perimeter-blocks of ship/hole along a track).

Reactions: aceface

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I may use this to hide several otherwise awkward antimissile turrets on one of my next builds. The thing is, I can't do that unless they can deploy in a split second.

Reactions: CyberTao

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Spheres would look better in some cases...
    I know this is a cube-game, but spheres don't change their shape from a certain angle independent on how they rotate/turn.

Maybe you could just place your Anti-missile turrets like docked ships - if small turrets continue having a 45° arc of fire.
    That way you could have them seamless built into your hull.

But I would at least add the option to move them 2m and hide them behind a 1m thick door in case you are not attacked by missiles and want to secure them.

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Spheres would look better in some cases...
    I know this is a cube-game, but spheres don't change their shape from a certain angle independent on how they rotate/turn.

Maybe you could just place your Anti-missile turrets like docked ships - if small turrets continue having a 45° arc of fire.
    That way you could have them seamless built into your hull.

But I would at least add the option to move them 2m and hide them behind a 1m thick door in case you are not attacked by missiles and want to secure them.
    I may decide to do something like that. We'll see. I still want faster rails for my ship's elevator, though.

Mariux

Kittenator
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    UPS I forgot. You CAN have faster rails already. Just stack them.

Instead of:
    > > > > > > > > > >
    . . . . . . . . . A

Do this:
    > > > >
    . . . A > > > >
    . . . . . . . B > > > >
    . . . . . . . . . . . C
    Ty https://plus.google.com/u/0/+TominoSama/posts

But it is not perfect - like if you want to move one or more cargo-box (Plex-Store-Ship) faster along a rail.
    This is quite hypnotizing to look at

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!

Someone showed this to me just a little bit ago and it's really cool! I'm looking forward to the update so I can make some cool stuff with rails.

It got me thinking though: will there be a way to set the speed of rail movement? I hope so! This looks great for machinery, but for an elevator that would be far too slow to go very far. Since I want to create Metroid Prime-inspired elevators, it'd be a real bummer if I couldn't set the speed of my elevator's rails to something fast enough to at least get that kind of feel. Plus, I don't want to spend 30 seconds getting from one deck to another on my space ship.

Just a thought. Hopefully this has already been planned out.
    Just got a massive boner from watching that. Also props for recognizing the gloriousness of Metroid Prime elevators and lifts. Maybe in the future rails will also get SFX and we'll be able to mod the lift noise in too.

Anyway, I think we really will need that LUA scripting or some kind of controller block for rails. Can't see any other way unless default speed is raised to a reasonable amount and Delay logic blocks are used to slow them down. The latter would probably be easier to do.

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    For those of you who haven't played Metroid Prime, here is an example of an elevator. (skip to 1:47)A shorter distance one: (skip to 5:00)

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    just a question,
    everyone is asuming that rails can go 2 directions.
    is that true?

UPS I forgot. You CAN have faster rails already. Just stack them.

Instead of:
    > > > > > > > > > >
    . . . . . . . . . A

Do this:
    > > > >
    . . . A > > > >
    . . . . . . . B > > > >
    . . . . . . . . . . . C
    Ty https://plus.google.com/u/0/+TominoSama/posts

But it is not perfect - like if you want to move one or more cargo-box (Plex-Store-Ship) faster along a rail.
    i just need to know, why? i am very curius why you made that xD what were you planning?