Variable Integrity & Boosters

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    So integrity seems to be a big new dynamic. Are we eventually going to see variable integrity for different materials? Will some components (e.g. girders) be able to improve the integrity of surrounded or adjacent systems? It looks like they could get mad complex with that dynamic.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Top Forum Contributor
    So integrity seems to be a big new dynamic. Are we eventually going to see variable integrity for different materials? Will some components (e.g. girders) be able to improve the integrity of surrounded or adjacent systems? It looks like they could get mad complex with that dynamic.
    Thats actualy quite a good point.
    While I absolutly hate and want to murder... "despise" the intergity mechanic, this certiantly could make it a lot more bearable.
    (On the condition they removed the purple Dong of course)

This could also be a great way to Schema to encourage interiors without trying to force the through absolutly shitty ... I mean less than ideal mechanics.
    Using interiors and other blocks such as Girders to "stabalise" system groups would add so much to building with 2.0

I would much rather add a bunch of girders into my design (and in an astheticaly pleasing way too!) rather than have to deal with forced design choices and Purple-Dong needles with ridiculous alpha.

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    Thats actualy quite a good point.
    While I absolutly hate and want to murder... "despise" the intergity mechanic, this certiantly could make it a lot more bearable.
    (On the condition they removed the purple Dong of course)

This could also be a great way to Schema to encourage interiors without trying to force the through absolutly shitty ... I mean less than ideal mechanics.
    Using interiors and other blocks such as Girders to "stabalise" system groups would add so much to building with 2.0

I would much rather add a bunch of girders into my design (and in an astheticaly pleasing way too!) rather than have to deal with forced design choices and Purple-Dong needles with ridiculous alpha.
    Exactly. I feel like 2.0 sucks right now mainly because it's brand new, super unbalanced and underdeveloped, but the more I work with it the more I see groundwork for good systems coming later. I just hope later is 3-6 months.... not 1-2 years....

EDIT: It would be cool if girders or other blocks let clever engineers substantially distort the system away from a cube and still get great integrity (although beyond a point additional integrity is redundant anyway).

Reactions: Dire Venom
    Reaction score
    This would encourage spaghetti again. While this would fix the "only cubes" issue, it would encourage system speg. The optimal solution would then become to wrap a lot of long strands of systems in "insulation" so that so that if you you get hit, only a few blocks would become exposed.

Reaction score
    I don't see that much of a problem with integrity. Unless I'm really bad at math a 4x4 strand should give you +4 integrity per block of length. And 5x5 strand will give you +16 integrity per block of length.

It could make ships under 1k mass pretty strained. But I don't see how it negatively affects bigger ships. Considering that you now have a lot of unused space in your tube.

Reaction score
    It's not about how much stability it has but about how quickly you can take it away. So, a 2,754 mass group that is 30 x 30 x 30 with a layer of decorative blocks around it can be destabilized with a 1 or 2 high penetration waffles that could quickly add a few thousand surfaces as the system gets shredded making it burn. A 1080 x 5 x 5 reactor encased in decoratives would weight 2916.5 mass, but be virtually impossible to overheat because each shot would leave the vast majority of the reactor unharmed and therefore still at high stability.

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    This would encourage spaghetti again. While this would fix the "only cubes" issue, it would encourage system speg. The optimal solution would then become to wrap a lot of long strands of systems in "insulation" so that so that if you you get hit, only a few blocks would become exposed.
    Good point. I figured it would open exploits. There must be a balance between forcing cubes and permitting noodles. I liked your surface calculation suggestion.

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    It might be possible to solve this by drastically increasing the base integrity value, but that will only work if integrity stops being recalculated on the fly. As long as integrity gets recalculated when you get shot, cubes will be the only optimal solution.