Using turrets

Reaction score
    Just wondering what should I set my turrets to, the AI gives 2 choices, shooting any hostile , shooting at a target. The problem I have is that shooting any hostile means that the turret doesnt work at neutral players if I want to attack someone for a duel etc, and If I set shooting at a target it wont shoot hostiles and tends to shoot neutrals I dont want to shoot at

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    I prefer to set my largest and most powerful turrets to Selected Target mode because that allows my ship to track and shoot other ships without having to turn around too much. Also, that way I can focus firepower more accurately on one ship/turret/thing while I use the mothership cannons to deal with something else.

Meanwhile, smaller turrets are set to automatic targeting - so if an eney ship gets too close, they will open fire. So I can fight at least 3 different ships at the same time. Or 1 with a LOT of firepower. Or I can just sit 2km away from any targets and blast away at the hapless defences.

Neutrals that attack you become your personal enemy, so in theory auto turrets should attack them IF they attack you first (or you choose to attack them as the case may be).

The only thing to really keep in mind is that with Selected Target mode, you CANNOT highlight ANY ship without attacking it. So you will have to navigate sector-to-sector and won\'t be able to fly directly to your friends ships by simply selecting them in the Nav.

But all of this depends on the purpose of your ship and what you want it to do. I do it this way because I prefer really large and slow turning ships. It\'s jsut easier to track other ships this way. Also, it allows me to SELECT and prioritize targets, so my turrets won\'t be swarmed by hordes of fighters while I\'m being pummeled by a Battleship - I can keep focused on the largest threat.

Let us know what you want to do with your ship - that will help you decide more than anything ^^

Reaction score
    Ok well right now I have a cruiser sized vessel, its around 57k blocks .9 million shields. The Biggest Turret on there is a quad turret with a range of 530. I guess since your ship was able to get to 2km it might be worth combining the guns so its 2 guns per turret though im not sure how far that would shoot. The other turrets i would want are 8-20 gun short range weapons. I was kinda hoping to use this to cruise around the rebel alliance server, but if the turrets should what ever I aim at its probably not a good idea.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    In order for your turrets to actually engage while on Selected Target mode, you have to highlight that ship/turret/station by pressing F when aiming at it OR clicking on it in the Navigation menu. If you don\'t do that or if you only follow Navigation to another sector, your turrets won\'t do anything at all.

Depending on the guns on your mothership, I think you want to have a little less separate turrets with a little more power. If you have very powerful cannons on the ship itself, use those for main attack and focus on having your turrets keep enemy ships away from you instead of using them to attack. It looks like you want turrets to protect your ship rather than attack others.

Only when your turrets start getting very powerful it\'s worth using them for attacking other large ships. So yeah, for now I would advise you keep them mostly automatic, unless you can really scale up your largest turret to deal a lot of damage at range.

My longest range turret so far can reach ships at 4.5km. Understandably, I don\'t want to fly around with those in automatic mode because I would end up shooting at ships 2 sectors away all the time.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    I\'m pretty sure that the \"select target\" function doesn\'t work at all right now... It\'s bugged.

Saba

Jack of all Air
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I\'ve only used the select target a couple of times (ussually I prefer to use turrets for defence and weigh down the main ship with about 70 heavy lasers, and anywhere from 100-300 strong missile batteries) and when I do they shoot the wrong directions, or don\'t work at all, letting pirates shoot them for fun (ofc)