Read by Schine User Interface changes to make the game more comfortable and less frusturating

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    If you're like me, you absolutely love this game, but the littlest things just annoy the heck out of you and it gets incredibly frustrating. I love building ships, but some of the stuff in the advanced build mode absolutely infuriates me, and so I've made this awful picture to demonstrate that.

The Arrows:
    Now, maybe it's just me, but every time I try and use the x y and z arrows, I always miss them because they're so small! All they need is a small increase, but its extremely frustrating when you're going to increase from 86 to 87 and then you misclick and then you're at 560. Out of everything, this is my number one biggest annoyance. I build basically all the time in this game, but its incredibly frustrating to do so when these tiny arrows always mess with me.

Orientation:

Orientation is something that also frusturates me. As it is now, when you want to roatate a block, you basically choose one of the arrows and spam click it for a few seconds until you get the block you like. Something that I would like, would be if there were directional arrows on all sides. Want the block to rotate to the left? You click the left button! Want it to be upside down? Click the top arrow 2 times!
    A potential drawback of this would be that it would possibly take a bit longer to get the block you want, but the positives of it would be that it would be less nonsensical and significantly more user intuitive.

My second complaint with orientation is in regards to dockers or rotators or things that are directional. I can never tell which way they're supposed to be. It's so tiny, I always end up having to place it then delete it, place it then delete it to find which one.

I mean look at this!

I havent had to pixel hunt this hard since monkey island!

Just plop a big arrow on it or SOMETHING so that It can be easily visible. Aditionally, it might also help to add borders or something around the blocks. A white hull tetra looks just like a white hull. and this is true for about a billion blocks!

Build Helper Radius and Rotation:

Build helper is so..well..helpful..but the problem is is the sliders. There are some situations where sliders are nice. If you're using the x y and z sliders in advanced build mode, cool, they work very well and are useful. But here? They're such a pain. If you want to rotate your circle 90 degrees, you have to slide the bloody thing to 90. Lets face it though, you slide to 103, so then you click the tiny ant sized arrows for 5 seconds until you misclick, and now you're at zero. Just let me type 90 in. I know what I want to do, let me do it!

Closing Remarks:

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love this game, and I love building in it, but these little things have been bugging me so much that I've made a forum post about it. These little TINY things are preventing me from really enjoying building in this game. They make building clunky, uncomfortable, and downright frustrating at times. While I understand that some things (using arrows to rotate the blocks based on direction instead of randomly) are purely opinion on my part, things like the larger arrows are things that I KNOW people are annoyed with. I hope some of this stuff can be seriously considered because it'd really help to polish the game and make building stop giving me grey hairs.

Reaction score
    Like a few other GUI changes that have been proposed recently, I'm glad this has been stated.

The pictures actually help get your point across better than you think.

And like a few other suggestions recently, I'm appalled that it wasn't made sooner.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    • Modder
    • Top Forum Contributor
    You can rotate by holding CTRL and scrolling - with the mouse cursor away from the ADV build menus.

Personally, I'd love to have numeric input for the adv build mass placement sliders in there as well.

kupu

Colouring in guy.
    Reaction score
    • Schine
    • Likeable Gold
    • Arrrty Gold
    Agree. These have previously been suggested internally as well, so they are issues on the radar.

Reactions: EnerJay

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I would like build sliders to be replaced with something like this:

X [arrow] [slider stopping at used values, using if placing] [arrow] [number input]
    Y ← [ | | - | - - - [|] - - - - - - - | - - - - - - ] → [_8_]
    Z …
    A 4th copy which is changes all of x,y,z at once, used if it is the last that changed.

It would also be nice to have hotkeys for these settings.

If you worry about too many hotkeys:
    It would also be nice to have hotkeys for these settings.
    No need to choose custom ones, :schema: should just implement an advanced config text-input or line-by-line input:
    if "context" use "hotkey" for "action"
    action can be "do buildmode.xplus" or "context buildmode" or "combo buildmode"

"do" sends a command to the game
    "context" is a category which allows you to switch hotkeys depending on combat or mining for example
    "combo" switches a category only until a key without any combo action is pressed.
    A combo-action can remain in combo-mode by having a button registered twice - for "do …" and "combo …"

:schema:'s Effort:
    * 3 Java-Classes "HotkeyDo, HotkeyContext, HotkeyCombo" implementing the same interface "Hotkey"
    * an enumeration for "context" (name translates to number) and a variable keeping the number.
    * instanced handlers for hotkeys (1 per context + 1 default) or holding different configs for it.

Everything else is already done or requires standard-skills from a programmer.

Why?
    Press TW and you get the target in front of you. Just W would be forward thrust.
    Press TA and you could get previous target, Just A would be turn/strafe left.
    TS could be closest target while S alone is decelerate.

Currently, QE and FR can be rotating around Z and X.
    With my suggestion, you could require a shift-combo for confirmation.

It is like with logic blocks. One activation block is only that useful, but combined you gain power.​

Reactions: jgames666
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    I also second the suggestion,the outline on tetras would be great,and maybe make glass easier to see for placement in build mode.

Reaction score
    ... why are you guys calling the Penta a Tetra?
    The Penta is the cube with a corner lopped off, the Tetra is the now severed corner.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    In addition to wireframe helpers in the advanced build mode menu, I'd also like to see the option of a wireframe helper mode in build mod that places wireframes on the actual entity being built. This would help illustrate tricky situations like dark blocks and other things that aren't quite being viewed easily, even with "lighten" mode active. Maybe wireframe could replace "lighten", but it would really help in some situations.

Depending on the size of the entity being constructed, this might be laggy, but since it should be a rendering lag, it should only lag one client who is using the wireframe helper.