Use Slot Recipe. Ummmm... How? Factory building tedium...

Reaction score
    I've noticed that attempts to copy and paste sections of factory do nothing good. Storage containers don't remember what they should pull. Factories don't remember what they should produce. I'd love to have modular factories that I can pull out of a shipyard, but...

You can't have factories on a ship.

Gameplay-wise, I'd rather have something like... can't have engines on an entity with a factory. Can't Run a factory if docked to an entity with engines. Then you can make modular designs that can be transported a section at a time by tugs, or generated at shipyards.

Anyway, I can't get the Use Slot Recipe dropdown to allow me to use the recipe for a block in any sort of slot that I've tried. Does this not work? I can't find documentation on it anywhere.

DrTarDIS

Eldrich Timelord
    Reaction score
    REcipies are an old(read:no longer used) meta-item(like guns, blueprints, over-capacity-storage, etc..). YouCAN as an administrator spawn in the "recipe" Item for any block, and AFAIK it will still use the old system where it needs 2-9 blocks of 2-3 types (at utter random selection at creation) to make the item you want. I liked that old factory system, let you "go infinite" with a little bit of investment.

Anyways, that is all in the past, and I'm done reminiscing about the "good old days."

Now to help you. that part that says use the recipe is actually a drop-down menu: you gotta select what item the factory needs to produce from the insanely long list each factory has. Hull and power and thrust and decorations in basic, standard armor and weapons in standard, and advanced armor, effects, and shields in the advanced. Then you gotta look at the requirements for the block after you've selected it (the button that's unclickable till you've chosen an item to produce), "C" select that factory and connect it back to other factories that produce what it needs, and let it do it's thing>

Example: I wanna make me some DARK GREY ADVANCED HEPTA.
    ->I choose DARK GREY ADVANCED HEPTA in an advanced factory, see it needs a DARK GREY ADVANCED BLOCK to make it
    ->"C" DARK GREY ADVANCED HEPTA adv factory, "V" another adv factory
    ->open that new adv factory, choose DARK GREY ADVANCED BLOCK, see it needs DARK GREY STANDARD + ADVANCED HARDENER
    ->"C" DARK GREY ADVANCED BLOCK factory, V on another advanced(set that it make hardener) and a standard fact(set to make dark standard)
    ->See the advanced hardener needs fertikeen ingots and mesh, "c that factory, set it back to the CAPSULE REFINERY to get the mesh, ands to a BASIC factory(set to make fertikeen ingots)
    ->"c" the fert ingot factory, v it back to the capsule refinery
    ->Check the DARK GREY STANDARD, see it needs STANDARD HARDENER+ DARK HULL
    ->c" DARK STANDARD factory, "V" to another stand fact(producing standard hardener) and a basic(producing Dark grey hull)
    ->Check the STANDARD HARDENER fact, see it needs fertikeen capsules + mesh, "V" it CAPSULE REFINERY
    ->Check the DARK HULL factory, See it needs GREY HULL + crystal+mesh, "V" it to capsul refinery and ANOTH FREAKING BASIC FACTORY(set to make basic hull)
    ->Check BASIC HULL fact, see it needs just basic mash and crystal, REJOICE, "V" to capsule refinery, WE're FREAKING DONE!....except we need to ENHANCE the refinery to cover all the production needs of EVERYTHING drawing from it, and enhance EVERY OTHER FACTORY doing some GR9 pre-calc math to figure out the Lowest common denominator of the various items are needed and enhance each factory using that LCD as a coefficient to calculate....

All in all it's a bitching web of crazyness to make any items right now. Annoying as all hell with dependency chains. That's a SIMPLE dependancy chain: you don't need 3 different types of paint to "mix the colour" of the basic hull. the WIKI at the TOP OF THIS PAGE has a basic tutorial on factories too, but it's not very robust. Not very robust means not too much reading though, it might even be shorter than this post!

all hull colours up to standard armor, with extra shapes, all weapons, "essential" systems like ship cores, power generaton/capacity, thrust, "carved" and "ingot" production...Needs all advanced armors, all crystal, all effects modules+computers, all lights, all circ & charged circ, all motherbords, just say it's about 20% done...
    If you wanna learn in action, I'm gonna be working on my "builds everything" factory base on Dominion Prime tonight. I'll gladly show you, and if you feel like helping a bit so you can learn-by-doing, that'd be cool too. I think DP is still an older version, you may need to rollback 2 patches(1 patch 1 hotfix) to be able to connect. I'm gonna see about that right now.(edit: ya V 197.51 20160424_191721) Big'll get around to updating eventually...meanwhile, I get the whole server to myself! MUAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHA

Last edited:
    Reactions: Top 4ce