Updated Weapons, Outdated AI

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    So today I finished refitting a small strike frigate of mine to use some of the new weapons. From early combat trials, it became painfully obvious that my AI gunners could no longer hit the broadside of a barn at 200 m, and I would have a better time dealing with pirates if I installed rapid-fire cannons or some form of missile (I noticed that you can change the miss factor in the config now, but that feels like cheating since I intend to use this ship on multiplayer servers and I can't guarantee a uniform hit factor).

Cannons were the easy part, the missiles?

The turret AI doesn't use the new missile system. I refitted the medium-power turrets on my ship to use d1000s with slaved beam computers for the lock-on missile setup, but it did nothing. A test fighter was sitting 20 m from the missile turret and it did nothing. Didn't turn to engage, didn't fire... just sat there while the rest of my CIWS guns slowly ground the target to dust.

Am I alone in this, or is it the case that the turret AI does not yet utilize the new weapons system?

Fellow Starmadian

Oh cool so thats what this is
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Wired for Logic
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    First things first: are you using the .15 version or the most recent patch, .152? It was my understanding that the .151 version of starmade fixed this, but i'm not sure if the .152 broke it again.

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    So today I finished refitting a small strike frigate of mine to use some of the new weapons. From early combat trials, it became painfully obvious that my AI gunners could no longer hit the broadside of a barn at 200 m, and I would have a better time dealing with pirates if I installed rapid-fire cannons or some form of missile (I noticed that you can change the miss factor in the config now, but that feels like cheating since I intend to use this ship on multiplayer servers and I can't guarantee a uniform hit factor).

Cannons were the easy part, the missiles?

The turret AI doesn't use the new missile system. I refitted the medium-power turrets on my ship to use d1000s with slaved beam computers for the lock-on missile setup, but it did nothing. A test fighter was sitting 20 m from the missile turret and it did nothing. Didn't turn to engage, didn't fire... just sat there while the rest of my CIWS guns slowly ground the target to dust.

Am I alone in this, or is it the case that the turret AI does not yet utilize the new weapons system?
    before the patch Turrets had a hard time using the d1000 missiles but could use the SD-BB missiles no problem. since the weapons update made the SK and BB missile obsolete the AI has not yet been coded to handle the new system.

the last few patches only made the pirates/trading guild able to use the new weapons. we still have to wait for turrets to be fixed

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • TwitchCon 2015
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I'll add that my D1000-D1000/EXP AI turret doesn't track or fire at enemy targets either.
    Put a beam comp + beam module on it, still won't track and fire.

AMC-AMC/EXP AI turret works just fine.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Try adding a single amc and computer to your missile turrets, it's a stopgap measure but it tricks the AI into functioning.

Reaction score
    Try adding a single amc and computer to your missile turrets, it's a stopgap measure but it tricks the AI into functioning.
    Doesn't work very well with beam weapons (I've not tried missiles). Turrets very rarely look directly at their rarget, and beams fire straight forwards, so all you get is a laser disco ball. Looks pretty, but they don't hit anything.

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor
    Doesn't work very well with beam weapons (I've not tried missiles). Turrets very rarely look directly at their rarget, and beams fire straight forwards, so all you get is a laser disco ball. Looks pretty, but they don't hit anything.
    Yeah unfortunately without the ability to focus fire this "fix" doesn't work on lasers. I think the bug is related to the AIs target range, with just the missiles it doesn't see anything in it's range so it does nothing. This was the case from what I surmised at least when we had to do this back when SD-BBs were first patched to work with AI.

Keptick

Building masochist
    Reaction score
    • Councillor 2 Gold
    • Railman Gold
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    I'll add that my D1000-D1000/EXP AI turret doesn't track or fire at enemy targets either.

That's true. I can attest that they are actually shooting at him (while I was there to make it fire). 90% of the missiles went after his base, 8% after him and 2% after me.

lol

Reaction score
    • Councillor 3 Gold
    • Wired for Logic
    • Top Forum Contributor

You need a canon computer and canon module on a d1000 turret to get them to work. AI cannot use beams either right now.