UPDATE IDEA | WARP DRIVE BLOCKS

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    WARP DRIVE BLOCK

I don't know if this idea would be possible to add or if the development team would even want to, but I would like a warp drive feature implemented into StarMade. If added it could be a block that is placed in your ship like a Weapons Computer, then when you press the set key, a menu pops up. In the menu there would be these three choices:

1. Enter Coordinates - works similiar to the "Waypoint" system in the Navigation menu, except when you press "Ok" it warps you to that Sector.
    2. Add Sector - Sort of a "Favorites" selection were you can add then rename the sector you are currently in.
    3. My Sectors - All sectors you have ever added.

Then, once you select an option and press "Ok", a cool warping effect and a quick message letting you know the warp was successful is activated. After that (obviously) you arrive at your previously selected sector.

In my opinion a warp drive block would add more of a space feel to the game. Of course, there are caps that would have to be put onto the capabilities of said warp drive. Things like a cool-down system so you couldn't just warp everywhere at any time. it would also need alot of power cells feeding it enough energy to get you to the desired sector. Last but not least, you'd a very big amount of Credits to actually obtain a warp drive.

I can only hope that either someone on the development team already has this idea, or one of them will see this and implement warp drive blocks into StarMade. Thanks you for taking the time to read my suggestion, let me know everything you see that would be wrong with the block, or other features that the Warp Drive Block could have down below.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    It\'s a good idea, but people have already suggested it. I do, however, like your take on it with the menu and all. I really hope THIS version of warping is implemented, not others.

Reaction score
    i like the details on the idea

I\'d prefer a new form of energy for a warp-drive
    Like Strange-Matter Tanks, filled with this ominous matter:)

You\'d have to refill it like fuel(at shops or new form of stations). Ships and distances would be limited to the size of the tank.

giant ships could jump across vast distances but the fuel would be extremely expensive.

Reaction score
    This has been suggested so many times I fear schema put it on the do not consider list. I recommend removing it and merging it to another variant with a reply, otherwise I am quite sure this will get locked by a forum moderator very fast.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    maybe better make warp gates?

bigger ones on bases, smaller by ships

in any case, warp must be needed in fuel, so it\'s possible make infrastructure based on fuel extraction and refining

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Personally this sounds like a better idea, because you would have to have visited the system before being able to jump there, also it would encourage smaller ships for fast get aways. Another thing is that if it\'s a faction held gate it could only be used by the same faction =]. maybe pirate stations could have gates around them for AI to jump through when the station is under attack... just to provide a bit more of a challenge in taking them out. It\'s just too easy as of right now -.-\'.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Does anybody actually use powertanks? Perhaps there could be a way to install a warp core, but it would require a massive amount of power that you\'d have to stand still in space with as much as possible turned off to fill up your batteries. Then you could warp (range limited by saved energy) but then would have to sit unprotected for a while during recharging.

This would mean you\'d only want to warp to and from very safe ocations, such as a faction base, a fleet, or spawn. It would also give more (obvious, anyway) use to power recharging beams, so players could build \"Tugboats\" with loads of generators and a recharge beam.

Zyrr

Chronic Troublemaker
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    Yes. I find it to be a very important feature in all of my builds.

Why would anyone not use powertanks?

Regards,

-Chairman of the Collective, dated 8/18/13

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I think this is a good idea, but you should only be able to warp to sectors with warp station\'s. Btw, we already have a warp drive :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcxJX1wQw7E&feature=c4-overview&list=UUa2TyNjbMG4Zg3xsNNn3Ctw

Reaction score
    Sure it sort of works but we need a dedicated device of sorts that is reliable, operatable by one person, and have it not break physics.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    But then if the warp drives have fuel then it would only make sense for everything else to have fuel too. I like the idea of a recharge system better, It sounds a lot simpler. But this is just my opinion.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Gates would be cool too, I dumped the thought though because I kept thinking about those people who find something then imediately destroy it. I just don\'t want to keep making new ones all the time, you know?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    look, schema said he might/might not add warp or ftl. this is an unnoficial list of what may go into the game:http://star-made.org/wiki/planned-features

remember he might not be adding it, we will only know at a later date.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    But if it has been requested so many times, wouldn\'t that mean that he would be most likely to impliment them? Since the community wants them so much.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    This really reminds me of the \"warp drives\" in the Halo books. The Shaw-Fujikawa Slipspace drives (their full name) are fairly bulky, very delicate (as in they cannot sustain much damage), take up ENOURMOUS amounts of power to use, and are fairly inaccurate. My suggestion is to make something similar to this, with the following features:

-before activation, must charge up (which will render weapons, engines, sheilds, etc. powerless unless the ship has large power supplies).

-are extremely easy to destroy, causing an explosion.

-can be inaccurate to about one kilometer away from the target coordinates.

-fairly hard to find in stores, and cost quite a bit.