"[UnknownFaction-1]" instead of "[Pirate]"

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    Hi! I'm Zenithas, also the author of http://star-made.org/content/you-are-running-low-memory-oo-32gb-allocated and similar.

I'm the night admin at star.the-rebel-alliance.com, and we've had an issue that's been particularly baffling. One day, we no longer had [Pirate]s. We had [UnknownFaction-1] instead. And then, they stopped acting like pirates.

You know, not doing that whole "shooting at things" bit. Or even that "flying" bit half the time. They just circle, if they have movement, or otherwise they don't respond even to being fired on. Has no improvement when the server's quiet - basically just means that for our events needing random hostiles, we have to organise a custom faction, spawn the wave, then manually set the AI to the new faction, in order to get it running like it should. A pain, if you have a wave of say, 30 ships or something.

Pirate stations have become a joke. The turrets happily ignore you when you approach, shoot at them, or even remove the faction module and take the plunder.

Any way we could get access to the server's NPC faction list as server admins? Especially since creating a new faction with id -1 doesn't actually do anything.

Reaction score
    It seems like to me that some ones making ships and turning them evil witch can be simply done by hitting enter and pressing up a couple of times

I don\'t know if it could be done with a faction but its a pretty big problem he/she starts doing it to others ships but if you know its a pretty big problem and you should be contacting the admin

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    It\'s not someone making \'evil ships\'. This is the pirates.

Reaction score
    Well, unknown faction 1 is faction id 1, and pirates are faction id -1. Are you sure you didn\'t modify some stuff like server.cfg and accidentaly removed the -?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    \"[UnknownFaction-1]\" instead of \"[Pirate]\"

It\'s kind of the title, guys, come on. It\'s faction -1.

Reaction score
    Possibly. But in tried spawning mobs like this:

/spawn_mobs \"My Awesome Ship\" 1 1

And the resulting faction was titled:

[UnknownFaction-1]

Think of it.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    If i was you i would login to the server through starmote, click the faction tab and delete the pirate faction then recreate it using the original id of -1 i would keep the information the same just to try to minimize possible errors.

this error can be caused by someone making a faction in the starmote tool, i learned this the hard way when i made a second pirate fleet only to have it take the id of my current fleet. i thought it was hiliarious when my fleet mates god attacked by and locked out of their own ships. especially when they were on voice chat >:) i fixed my issue by doing the above but my issue was slightly different. since the pirates arent being very piratey anyways, what do you have to lose