Universal Cargo/Storage Module

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Alright, I'm sure this has been talked about many times, but could we decide on a cargo module size? It would be very beneficial for just general trade purposes. and would help with . . . order in the game.

The biggest part of the modules I envision is that they would be compatible with the USD. And they would have a sort of standard stacking functionality. I am thinking of a stacking standard that was friendly to around 3-4 different sizes.

My current sizes in mind are, 5x5x5, 11x5x5, 11x5x11 and 11x11x11, if you have any better ideas, feel free to add them and if they prove better, then i shall change them.

If anyone would be interested in helping develop these (because I have no building skill whatsoever), please comment and I shall discuss with you.

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    I don't see a need for this. Too many variables.

Are the modules contained?
    Do they have doors?
    Why does it need to dock to a USD?

This is one of those things that seems like it might be useful, but in reality is just way too impracticable and unnecessary.

It works with USDs because all USDs serve the exact same function: connecting two entities and allowing players to move between them. It's not the same with cargo because cargo is transferred in wildly different amounts on a case by case basis. You can feasibly have a cargo module that is made of only a core, dock, and chest, and it would be completely functional. Should we have a standardized module for that as well?

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Yes the modules are contained, yes, they would have doors, and it would dock to a USD for access.

USD's don't have to be a thing just for entry and exit points. They can be a thing for just standard docking of things like cargo. But I will say that in my case, they would be for transport between the ships and the cargo modules.
    [DOUBLEPOST=1463702875,1463702836][/DOUBLEPOST]I've been trying to get my game to run all day, once i get it fixed, ill give you a mark-up
    [DOUBLEPOST=1463703114][/DOUBLEPOST]You say there are too many variables, but isn't that the point of standardizing things like this?

Reaction score
    Standardization is interesting, but not really necessary or necessarily possible.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen
    When it comes to cargo, 'small', 'medium', and 'large' modules are entirely subjective in regards to what you're trying to do, whereas an astronaut is always the same size. This makes it very different to try and equalize.
    It's a good idea to have a cargo system blueprint in the game to give people examples to learn from, but I don't see it as a useful thing to standardize in the vein you suggested.

Something like "5x5x5, 11x5x5, 11x5x11 and 11x11x11" is also too specific to the requirements people may have for cargo, maybe I need ~2000 or ~8000 or ~50000 cargo blocks?
    It may be more useful to simply try and design some 'rules' to determine what multiples to build at, rather than have a list of sizes ranging from tiny to titanic.

If the goal is to have cargo modules that fit into a standardized docking system, then you only need one 'face' to be a predictable size, 5x5, 11x5, 11x11, etc.

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    When it comes to cargo, 'small', 'medium', and 'large' modules are entirely subjective in regards to what you're trying to do, whereas an astronaut is always the same size. This makes it very different to try and equalize.
    That's exactly what I'm saying, good stuff.

But yeah, if you must have a cargo module that will dock to anything, slap a USD on it. Problem instantly solved.