Unique Crafting Approach for Star Made

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    Ok this is going to be a little rambelish as I am thinking of this as I type so bare with me.

This game is in the lineage of the game Minecraft, like it or not, that is what the target players will think first is "Oh, nifty, Minecraft in space." There is no way to avoid it.
    Perhaps Minecrafts strongest features is its crafting system, as though the title of the game did not hint at it enough lol. It is interesting for its simple interface of having 9 squares that you place material in to get new items out. Then use those items to build new stations with new materials to make new items. Simple yes, but robust.
    So how can we recreate that system without simply redoing it outright? Well after pondering it I was looking at some Computer Controlled Manufacturing Machines online for work research and it clicked.
    Step one, buy a "Block Output Thing A Mumbo" Whoever names these things certainly will do a better job but work with me here. this block bought at a shop can be used like any control for weapons, but think of it being more akin to the docking system. And placed on a starbase or factory on the ground (when ever ground bases come around). Is is like a Dock Modular and has a area of space around it that any block in it will affect its output. namely new blocks from martial blocks.
    Step 2: Simply connect 26 other blocks till you have a 3x3x3 machine. Connecting them to the Block Output Thing would work just like weapons with "C" and then building the appropriate blocks attached to it.. It would have when selected a green box around it where the BOT is in the front face in the center column and on the bottom. Like say have the Bot and have green on the bottom and Top, with black in the center front row and the rest green than it becomes a machine that spits out Cockpits. If you build the right combo it will (I would like it to automatically reskin but that is BeetleBears call) fire up and then you can move to...
    Step three: depending on the machine is what type of block it produces. say the one we made to build cockpits. It will need us to have so much of say 2 glass, 6 and metal of some sort. Use what we Want and sell the rest for profit. (Adding again a strategic level for Starbases and a bit of depth to the economy) I would like to also link two or more machines side by side to make them more efficient. so with two we only would need 1 glass and one metal to make one cockpit.
    So that is my proposal. Now let me hear how you feel?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    i think that the crafting system sounds slightly complicated but it sounds like it would be nice to have unique crafting system that doesn't look like another minecraft clone so yeah i think it is a good idea and sounds fun.

Reaction score
    i talked yesterday with schema and he allready think to a crafting system that would look like industrial way of crafting stuff (not like minecraft) with factory block for example

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    • Purchased!
    Which is what im suggesting, Im more just fleshing out the idea. You build factory forges and then they build valuable blocks based on the material placed in them.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Take a look at this other post about crafting.
    http://star-made.org/content/crafting

Schema says, "There will definitely a method to create new kind of materials. I'm currently leaning towards a manufacturing system, that would focus more on an industrial aspect of creating new stuff.
    First things first, I will introduce a simple system to upgrade blocks to higher levels, and then try to step-by-step replace that with new, more advanced systems"