Unify block shapes

Reaction score
    Now that we have multiblocks, such as wedges and tetras all in one slot, the next step to make building and crafting more productive would be to get rid of these completely in the inventory. That is, have a single hull for each type/color, and let you cycle thru all the shapes, like it is now, but the total amount of blocks is simply the same as the cube Hull block.

That would get rid of the reshaping and having to have a stock of different shapes of walls, which in the "real world" would just mean people are using panels and metal in diagonal angles and such. Having each shape as a separate inventory stock item seems pointless to me.

Reactions: Mariux
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    No, I like the intermediate steps. Plus this is most likely going to have block ID consequences.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    A better idea, that would achieve more or less the same thing (in terms of inventory space) would to be make COLOR a setting in the advanced build mode.

Crimson-Artist

Wiki Administrator
    Reaction score
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Wiki Contributor Gold
    i remember hearing before in one of the older Q&As the dev wanted to do something like that. but since we have multi-slots now I'm assuming thats been thrown out

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    There's no reason that condesing the blockIDs is a bad idea, as it simplifies crafting. Trying to get the right number of wedges/corners/pentas/tetras is a pain, especially when you can't convert them back.

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    It would be great to see an advanced-mode selection available as an Alpha option. Then watch and see which one players like better and why. This sounds like one of those changes that you won't really know for sure you personally like better or not until you actually use it a bit.

After all, it could be that the far-future would have morphing objects that can re-solidify when the desired shape is achieved (see the box-office take of Terminator 2 to see how people can buy into this on a popular scale), or objects that can change color electronically (or insert other technobabble here), without even needing paint.

Example of color changing technology: prisms can cause an object to reflect a certain wavelength of light. Rotate the prisms slightly and PRESTO! A different color appears.

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    I honestly dont understand what this suggestion is asking for. Condensing ID's is good. Removing current blocks that we have to play with is bad. Removing individual shapes as inventory items is bad. Also that will likely not happen since schema just worked to implement the multislot that we have, Why does it need to be condensed any further?

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    A better idea, that would achieve more or less the same thing (in terms of inventory space) would to be make COLOR a setting in the advanced build mode.
    Wasn't it already planned to separate color from block items, so that color can be applied in build mode?

Removing current blocks that we have to play with is bad. Removing individual shapes as inventory items is bad.
    Why is it bad, because you say so?

Mariux

Kittenator
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Silver 1
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I like that. Might even save up some block IDs

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    Wasn't it already planned to separate color from block items, so that color can be applied in build mode?

Why is it bad, because you say so?
    Yes, lets skip any logical thought and assume that I just am selfish.

No. We do not need to remove the individual block shapes from our inventory because currently our inventory is actually massive. I'm pretty sure I can carry around hundreds of thousands of blocks in a single stack because of how it currently works. Why would you want to compress that any further? If anything those blocks should take up more space.

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    No. We do not need to remove the individual block shapes from our inventory because currently our inventory is actually massive. I'm pretty sure I can carry around hundreds of thousands of blocks in a single stack because of how it currently works. Why would you want to compress that any further? If anything those blocks should take up more space.
    Different shapes of the same block type are already compressed into one inventory slot.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Yes, lets skip any logical thought and assume that I just am selfish.

There is no inventory limit right now, so of course you can haul around INT_MAX blocks of 45 different types.
    And I would say you are being unreasonable. I hope that the inventory limits will be more complex than simply "all stacks must be under size x," and that means that regardless of how many slots your blocks take up, you can still only carry a certain amount of stuff.

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    There is no inventory limit right now, so of course you can haul around INT_MAX blocks of 45 different types.
    And I would say you are being unreasonable. I hope that the inventory limits will be more complex than simply "all stacks must be under size x," and that means that regardless of how many slots your blocks take up, you can still only carry a certain amount of stuff.
    Thats exactly what I want. Not sure how I'm unreasonable for saying literally what you just stated.

Reaction score
    I don't understand the objections. Because the inventory is massive? Shapes already take up one slot anyway, so no change there. Less shapes to use? I don't know who suggested that. Condensing IDs is also a good goal but not what I'm suggesting, but it can be one way to handle it.

In fact, nothing would have to change in the data if we want to be lazy about it, just have all the different block IDs for wedges etc drop the "basic" shape (cube, I guess), but still use the shape ID when placing depending on what you select.

The crafting step is unnecessary, requires no aditional ingredients, simply makes sure that you have to have the right amount of each shape in advance, which can be a pain. In-universe, the only justification needed is that you have hull "plates" and you're just building a block of whatever shape you want. I mean, if I want to build a slanted roof vs a flat one in my house I don't need to buy special "diagonal" tiles do I?

In fact the only reason I didn't recommend this for colors also is because at least you need extra ingredients to craft the color blocks (a bit annoying that you can't paint grey advanced armor and have to always paint the basic hull before upgrading), but that would also be desirable IMO. If I was to suggest it anyway, I would suggest just use a paint block whenever placing a different color, then get it back whenever you deconstruct that block (or paint it after placing it).

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    . If I was to suggest it anyway, I would suggest just use a paint block whenever placing a different color, then get it back whenever you deconstruct that block (or paint it after placing it).
    Except would there would need to be a method to pick a placement color, since recoloring an entire grey color to whatever color is a pain.

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    This wouldn't condense IDs... Not unless you wanted to pull another byte into each block and use some of its data for shape, which could be done if we get another byte, but is unlikely. All this would do is streamline building and remove a pointless crafting process, both of which I don't mind.

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    I wouldn't consider the crafting process to get those shapes pointless. Keep in mind its a cube world. Its not that we just build the structure in a new form. That would be like space engineers. We are dealing with what could essentially be a solid block. So if we want it in a new shape then of course there would be a manufacturing process to get it to look like a wedge. Like if 2 wedges were created from every single cube. Or a penta and a tetra as the result of splitting a cube too.

Last edited: