Unification of servers (Radical Suggestion)

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    A Multiplayer suggestion:

Instead making many servers with few starmadians, it would be nice to have one official server with great capabilities and many features/dimensions/sectors so many people to play together. I suggest this because the multiplayer isn't about sandbox gaming but also about active, war-like gaming.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    And who\'s going to host that? To have every single player playing on a single server would require massive and extremely expensive servers that I doubt Schema has the money for. Even then, not even the biggest MMOs have all their players on one server (that would be insane). Rather, they have all players spread out over dozens of servers that one can choose from. Not to mention that this would vitrually eliminate mods and the ability to control the settings of servers among other features that are a key part of the game. It would be too restrictive and too expensive to implement.

Also,

I suggest this because the multiplayer isn\'t about sandbox gaming but also about active, war-like gaming.

That\'s your opinion. Who\'s to say whether or not the game should be a game of conflict or not? That\'s the developers\' personal opinion and as of right now I don\'t believe Schema intends upon dictating what this game should be about, rather he wants people to play his game the way they want to.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    There is an MMO with only one Server (well, two, but not for a technical reason): Eve Online.

I agree,it would be nice to have a Server with hundrets of Players on it, but only one central Server would be to restrictive.

Maby one day we get a few big offical Servers with lots of Players on them, but there should alwasy be the possibility to host your own server.

Reaction score
    Im actually going to do a mod that allows servers to connect to each other via \"Jump Gates\". You activate one and it propells you to another \"galaxy\" (starmade server).

It would treat individual servers like shards and allow players to have more social interaction (war/alliances) but with far less load. The only forseeable problem is that when players do conflict the battle will have to take place somewhere.

2hu

Reaction score
    You must be bad at forseeing problems because there are several more I can think of:

• Players who are admins in one server might spawn credits/resources for themselves, and use the ship in another server.
    • Someone could mod your mod so that they can jump to any warp point on another server (decent security would fix this)
    • If someone goes between a couple servers rapidly, it could cause lag (Make a cool-down period? This would solve the issue of \"finding a place to battle\" too.)
    • Operators of catalog-disabled servers might not want people spawning ships in another server and bringing them in (Probably not a problem if only admins can create these gates)
    • A rogue server that someone unknowingly built a gate for could spam large ships into another server, causing lag
    • If a less-powerful server is linked to a stronger one, then issues could arise if a lot of players travelled to the less-powerful server.

Reaction score
    More I\'d be for doing some master server that allows you find and connect to servers with ease, kinda like FPS games are doing it since Quake3 Arena.

Another thing would be that you no longer will need to have static IP address, hamachi or no-ip domain — game server would send to master server \"heartbeat\" every few minutes with updated IP address (can be get from TCP/UDP header), server name and number of slots/players online. This way even servers hosted on computers with dynamic IP addresses would be possible to get into.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    As a server owner, I don\'t want to play on a server run by others.

Second, the software is not currently capable of even handling 64 players on a server with out crashing after a period of time.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    You mean like a server list?

That\'s a cool idea, I wonder why no one thought about it.