Undocking detector? [solved]

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I want to have an undocking detector in a turret. This could be realized with a rail, that constantly tries to push a block against the ship the turret is docked to. As soon as the turret undocks the pusher is able to extend and trigger an activator next to the rail it moves to. While this would work in theory, it causes constant collisions. Is there another way of making an undocking detector which costs less processing power?

Reaction score
    Do rails send a high if a rail docker is at them?

Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Purchased!
    I think you can have an activator next to the rail. This will send a signal if you are docked. Just use a NOT if you want to send a signal when there is nothing docked.

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    I think you can have an activator next to the rail. This will send a signal if you are docked. Just use a NOT if you want to send a signal when there is nothing docked.
    Activators don't get switched off when something undocks from a Rail Turret Axis next to them.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    Whats about that logic block that detects players? Can they also detect a new entitity when the docked ship undocks and is no longer part of the ship?

My idea: Storage Blocks. Let them float from one ship to the main ship, and when they are full switch it into the other direction.

Reaction score
    • Wiki Contributor
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Area triggers placed such that they overlap the bounding box of the turret should detect it undocking, as JinM said; they don't detect docked entities, and will only recognize the turret once it is no longer docked.

Reactions: Trekkerjoe
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    My idea: Storage Blocks. Let them float from one ship to the main ship, and when they are full switch it into the other direction.
    Storage blocks can't be linked to Rail Turret Axes.
    Area triggers placed such that they overlap the bounding box of the turret should detect it undocking, as JinM said; they don't detect docked entities, and will only recognize the turret once it is no longer docked.
    That's a bug.

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Cool. It'll do exactly what you want, and probably isn't a priority for fixing; feel free to use it while it lasts.
    Thanks for the tip, but I'd prefer a solution that isn't guaranteed to break anytime.

Reaction score
    Thanks for the tip, but I'd prefer a solution that isn't guaranteed to break anytime.
    You can do a logic workaround. Thats the only way but I heard that logic chains are buggy too - but they are guaranteed to get fixed in the future according to your statement that other bugs get fixed as well: Have multiple logic chains inside the turret, that don't circle if one element is broken. That signal can be sent via remote to the ship. You only have to figure how many broken chains you define as broken turret.

Honestly I would just use the rail into block collission solution. A game is not meant to waste your time but to make it entertaining. If you don't see entertainment in this really complicated logic chain, use the block collision detection. I know that it may not be allowed on servers though.

But having some holografic representation of my docked turrets and ships in a control room is some nice thingy. I'd like to build such thing too some day.

DrTarDIS

Eldrich Timelord
    Reaction score
    What? Turret axis dockers don't send logic signals anymore? Are you SURE?

One of my ships uses (used, 4 versions since I played with it I'll admit) logic for that kind of detection.

turret = dock = activation -> Or <- clock
    ................................................|-> Light in bridge, trip system that activated a push-pulse to force the remains out

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    What? Turret axis dockers don't send logic signals anymore? Are you SURE?

One of my ships uses (used, 4 versions since I played with it I'll admit) logic for that kind of detection.

turret = dock = activation -> Or <- clock
    ................................................|-> Light in bridge, trip system that activated a push-pulse to force the remains out
    When I tested it yesterday Rail Turret Axes sent a signal on docking, but not on undocking. Also, destroying the rail block never gives a signal.

Reaction score
    • Wiki Contributor
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Can confirm the above inconsistency re: Rail Turret Axes outputting a logic signal upon being docked to, but then not turning it off when undocked from.

The likeliest option you have is to detect when the Rail Docker (on the turret base) is docked/undocked, and use wireless logic to send that back to the main ship. Wireless logic has a few bugs in which it loses connection, obviously, but that's the most straightforward way to go about getting the required signal.

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    This works if the Activator is next to a Rail Docker which gets destroyed. It's strange that it does work with dockers, but not with rails.

Reaction score
    Can you put a static rail on a turret? Then you can pass storage cargo to this docked ship on the turret, and if the turret overheats you can detect that there is no more pulling and send a signal?

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Can you put a static rail on a turret? Then you can pass storage cargo to this docked ship on the turret, and if the turret overheats you can detect that there is no more pulling and send a signal?
    Thanks, but placing the Activator next to the Rail Docker instead of the Rail Turret Axis already solves the problem. :)

Reaction score
    Ah, thats nice to know.

So what are you doing with the technology exactly? Do you make some control hologram or just some screens? I am curious

Good luck then.

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    Ah, thats nice to know.

So what are you doing with the technology exactly? Do you make some control hologram or just some screens? I am curious

Good luck then.
    I plan to use it in different ships, so it'll mainly depend on how much place the individual ships have for fancy stuff.

Calhoun

Part-time God
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Thinking Positive
    This works if the Activator is next to a Rail Docker which gets destroyed. It's strange that it does work with dockers, but not with rails.
    I had an interesting experience using logic to undock a turret. The docker had a flip out and ended up pointing in odd directions.