Undo restores removed storage unit contents.

Reaction score
    basically, if you accidentally delete a filled storage unit in advanced build mode and all its contents spill out, a simple undo could fix the problem. but as is, the storage unit gets replaced but not its previous contents. this could also be faster/easier then a prompt as i had suggested a couple of months ago.

when managing my large factory i always inevitably delete a filled storage or factory unit, it can be very frustrating and time consuming.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    How about being able to push a storage unit around. That way you can slide it away from the work area. Disallow removal of filled boxes. Enable you to transport the box onto different ships.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    basically, if you accidentally delete a filled storage unit in advanced build mode and all its contents spill out, a simple undo could fix the problem. but as is, the storage unit gets replaced but not its previous contents. this could also be faster/easier then a prompt as i had suggested a couple of months ago.

when managing my large factory i always inevitably delete a filled storage or factory unit, it can be very frustrating and time consuming.
    Pro tip: Only use astronaut mode to manage factories.
    Or an even more pro tip: empty everything into a dedicated area using the new functions of storages before you edit your factory.

As for the idea: nope, it would allow for lots of cheating. There is a nice song that fits to that:
    You put the stuff you want in, you take the stuff you wantout. You delete the storage container and you press the undo button. And then you have there, in your storage container, another batch of goodies!

A prompt would indeed be annoying. But why do the contents of the chests get destroyed? I'd consider it a bug if it didn't have such a big chance of it being a feature to stop people from abusing build mode.

Reaction score
    the contents of the chest don't get destroyed. they just dont get placed back into the storage block in an undo. i can see what your saying tho about abuses. like if you pick up the items and then hit undo. but i guess it depends on how the game tracks those items. like if you delete a storage and the items it dumps out get flagged as being from that storage (and thus an undo would only place flagged items back into the storage and delete them from the universe.) that way if you picked some stuff up and then hit undo only the remaining flagged items you didnt pick up would be placed back.

im just tired of accidentally removing storages and haveing to go gather all the goodies. managing my factory in astronaut mode is even more of a pain because of daves slow moving speed and short reach. so i do mostly everything from buildmode.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    Hmm, I never thought of that. That automatically replacing sounds really handy for anyone who uses the crafting system. I'm personally waiting for when the new update comes out to play with the crafting system again, as it is going to be changed and all. Plus I'm too lazy to look up how to export a sector, so I'd just end up deleting all my progress when I want galaxies :p

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5

The bug tracker of devs contain a hub issue which +other things+ contains a solution:

ask user to confirm, just like if you remove a ship core​
    [DOUBLEPOST=1412223123,1412221823][/DOUBLEPOST]
    like if you delete a storage and the items it dumps out get flagged as being from that storage
    I guess you mean ("as an item from an block with ("canStoreItems=true") at position{xyz}").

Or do you mean ("as an item from item-cloud ("cloud ID") which was spawned around position{xyz}")?

Second one would be nice when you are able to place the storage elsewhere and use "fill with nearest item-cloud" an item-cloud from your previous one.

Reactions: OdraNoel
    Reaction score
    ya, i mean flagged as coming from a specific container. mainly just for the undo functionality.

movinga storage container is a good idea as well tho. but im sure and easier method for that could be applied. i personally was very fond of the Dolly from the JABBA mod for minecraft. it allowed you to move filled chests around without modifying their contents. im sure dave could come up with some kind of space dolly. or perhaps even, a dolly pistol! where when you shoot at a storage container it gets trapped in another dimensional bubble, and shooting again makes the container re-appear where the shot lands.

food for thought...

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    It would indeed be nice if we could move filled storage containers around... Maybe a compressor that compresses and picks up the storage to allow you to move it around?

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    But if deletion of a storage container would detach it ((something like a Plex-Store textured special-ship-core)), you couldn't build anymore at this spot (collision!)

Also would make it impossible to transfer an item-cloud into a storage by building a new storage while close to a previously destroyed(weapons) one while we don't have salvage|absorber pulses for this purpose.

Last edited:
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen
    But if deletion of a storage container would detach it ((something like a Plex-Store textured special-ship-core)), you couldn't build anymore.

Also would make it impossible to transfer an item-cloud into a storage by building a new storage while close to a previously destroyed(weapons) one while we don't have salvage|absorber pulses for this purpose.
    I assume you were talking to me? If you were, I meant an astronaut tool. If you weren't, I had absolutely no clue as to what you are talking about. Could you please rephrase it?

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    As for the idea: nope, it would allow for lots of cheating. There is a nice song that fits to that:
    You put the stuff you want in, you take the stuff you wantout. You delete the storage container and you press the undo button. And then you have there, in your storage container, another batch of goodies!
    *presses disagree button*

Valiant70

That crazy cyborg
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    Come on, that is the post in which I didn't understand what he meant.
    "Old" yourself. LOL I don't know why the disagree button was taken out. It makes no sense. Why not just rename it "I politely disagree"? :P

jayman38

Precentor-Primus, pro-tempore
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 4
    "Old" yourself. LOL I don't know why the disagree button was taken out. It makes no sense. Why not just rename it "I politely disagree"? :p
    You may be just joking, but this was already discussed by the mods. "Disagree" was being abused, and people who disagree can have a better contribution to the discussion when they clearly describe their disagreements, to which proponents can react (correct the suggestion, suggest something different, argue their counterpoints, or just abandon the suggestion completely).

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    "Old" yourself. LOL I don't know why the disagree button was taken out. It makes no sense. Why not just rename it "I politely disagree"? :p
    OR because it was a big red X-cross rather than a boring looking smiley or thumb-down ;)[DOUBLEPOST=1412358716,1412358615][/DOUBLEPOST]
    You may be just joking, but this was already discussed by the mods. "Disagree" was being abused, and people who disagree can have a better contribution to the discussion when they clearly describe their disagreements, to which proponents can react (correct the suggestion, suggest something different, argue their counterpoints, or just abandon the suggestion completely).
    That just makes disagree-threads bumped while leaving agree-threads un-bumped :p

But we should NOT discuss this HERE