Unconstrained three axis control of turrets

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen
    The way that turret chaining currently works, you can only get two axis control of a turret. While that does enable you to aim at any point in three dimensions, it doesn't allow you to turn in any direction from any position.

With the following setup I should theoretically be able to turn freely in 3 dimensions:

However, the game doesn't recognize the third axis. It only recognizes the axis of the actual turret I am in (yaw), and of the parent (pitch). The parent's parent axis (roll) can't be controlled.

In fact, my mouse's left/right and up/down movements are just bound to control the first two axes, regardless of the direction I am facing. That means when I turn 90° to the left or right, moving my mouse up and down will make me roll. Here's a demonstration of what I mean.

My suggestion: Don't bind each mouse axis to a fixed turret axis. Instead, "loosen up" all the joints and react to the ship core's movement input as if it wasn't docked, only restraining it's movement by the existing axes (kinda hard to describe but I hope you guys get what I mean).

So in my example, after I turned to the left, moving my mouse up and down would turn the third axis rather than the second, because the third is the one that allows turning up and down relative to the current alignment. I actually thought that was how it worked and was really disappointed when I found out it doesn't.

This would also allow for the construction of robotic "arms" with lots of joints that could swing around freely by movement input (like forwards/backwards) instead of just turning.

Reactions: PizzaPress
    Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Tester
    • Legacy Citizen
    A three axis rail block would be nice for instances of free floating sphere turrets. Make it like the shipyard anchor block where you dock your turret core to it, but it allows all types of ship rotations, just no movement of its center point with relation to the mothership.

Lecic

Convicted Lancake Abuser
    Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive Gold
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 11
    This would be nice, but I'm worried about how the AI would handle it.