Unable to Play Game

Reaction score
    So every time I try playing the game, it crashes. I start the game, check for updates (which there are none), press "Start Game" and it goes to the settings before launching the actual game. So I press "OK" at the bottom and the game launches and begins to load. When the progress percentage in the top left corner reaches 100%, the game crashes without warning. I've sent the logs, I've updated every possible thing I could through Device Manager so I know I'm not missing anything, and it continues to crash. I've tried deleting the game and installing it again but it didn't help (and yes, I deleted the appdata files too). I don't know what to really do but to reach out to the Forum for support because it's been a month since I bought the game and I have yet to actually play it.
    Please, if you have any suggestions, feel free to share.

MossyStone48

Cmdr Deathmark
    Reaction score
    Ouch man. What hardware are you using and are there any errors that it reports on crashing?

Reaction score
    There are currently two known issues in the game that manifest themselves in the way you described. Since you did a clean install you are very likely affected by the older one. Quoting myself from another thread:
    If SM is displaying "32 Bit" in the top bar despite having a 64 bit OS, you have a 32 bit installation of Java. For some reason that does happen very often on Windows 8.*. Remove all installations of Java and download a 64 bit JRE (it shouldn't matter if you're choosing Java 7 or Java 8) from here.
    If that doesn't work, update your graphics drivers manually, downloading them from your graphics vendor's website. The ones from the Device Manager sometimes are different/outdated.
    If that doesn't help, we need the most recent client log (logs/log.txt.0).

Reaction score
    I'd like to thank you both for your responses. I'm using a Hp laptop using a 64 bit version of Windows 8. I have an 2.5 GHz Intel Core Processor, 8GB of Memory, a 2GB NVIDIA graphics card plus the standard Intel HD graphics. It's a nice set up haha. StarMade does say it's using a 32x system so I'm in the process of downloading the 64x java right now. Hopefully that works

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    sweet baby jesus, I've had the same problem for months, thank you based der_scheme

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    There are currently two known issues in the game that manifest themselves in the way you described. Since you did a clean install you are very likely affected by the older one. Quoting myself from another thread:

If that doesn't work, update your graphics drivers manually, downloading them from your graphics vendor's website. The ones from the Device Manager sometimes are different/outdated.
    If that doesn't help, we need the most recent client log (logs/log.txt.0).
    plz sir...
    will you look at mine ( not meant in the creepy way)
    http://starmadedock.net/threads/new-patch.2188/

Reaction score
    Been having a problem just like the OP. The whole game freezes when the load hits 100%. However, I'm on a Macbook Pro. I will check into the 32 v 64 bit Java issue and manually updating my vid card drivers.

The game does run in Sandbox mode just fine (except I have the offline connection problem that requires log-in even in Sandbox) So I will try another multiplayer server just to see if it will freeze again.

Reaction score
    Been having a problem just like the OP. The whole game freezes when the load hits 100%. However, I'm on a Macbook Pro. I will check into the 32 v 64 bit Java issue and manually updating my vid card drivers.

The game does run in Sandbox mode just fine (except I have the offline connection problem that requires log-in even in Sandbox) So I will try another multiplayer server just to see if it will freeze again.
    It is likely that your spawn sector is somehow corrupted. This happens sometimes, though we have not yet been able to pinpoint the cause (usually because we're not provided with log files, as the most useful ones are on the server). Your best bet should be the server administrators.