Ultimate Sniper Cannon Design

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 7
    I am looking for the best way to build the most effective sniper cannon.

I have worked on this for some time, but the assault cannon still seams to rule the battlefield. The slow firing massive damage cannons just seam to be a cool concept, but a impractical combat weapon.

So now I am open to suggestions. What do you guys have?

MrFURB

Madman of the Girders
    Reaction score
    Cannon-beam-whatever sounds like what you're looking for. Be aware that beam secondaries have a tradeoff for their increased range; beam secondary blocks don't count when adding up the weapon's blocks to get it's damage output. You may want to add a damage-boosting tertiary such as overdrive if you want to keep your damage high.

Also, slow firing cannons pair really well with pierce, punch, and explosive tertiaries. When used as a block-clearing weapon they can spread their damage out pretty far.

Reactions: Asvarduil
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 3
    • Councillor Gold
    Also, slow firing cannons pair really well with pierce, punch, and explosive tertiaries.
    Plus, punch through already has a secondary bonus damage affect (it increases the base damage of the projectile) so it's my personal favorite.

Reaction score
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    • Competition Winner - Small Fleets
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    To counter act the slow firing speed make multiple sniper cannons on your ship and just switch back and forth.

Reactions: Asvarduil
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Try something like Cannon - Damage Pulse - Punch Through, it won't hurt armor much but most people prefer shielding over heavy armor anyways (which makes pierce useless since it does nothing to shields). This is a trade off for range but it offers massive damage potential with a relatively small block count.

Reaction score
    he i know this tread is a bit out of date but still.
    with the new weapon balance i gone for 9k cannons 100 groups of 90 in a line with 6k beams and 99.7% ion.
    every shot still does 58 or so hull damage.

So with the new balancing plz let me know what you think and how it can be further improved.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    he i know this tread is a bit out of date but still.
    with the new weapon balance i gone for 9k cannons 100 groups of 90 in a line with 6k beams and 99.7% ion.
    every shot still does 58 or so hull damage.

So with the new balancing plz let me know what you think and how it can be further improved.
    Depending on the weapon type there's a peculiar maximum effectiveness to be had. For instance Punch/Pierce Cannons have no limit to their effectiveness however missiles and beams both have a limit which, after you reach it, there's no point in further adding anymore blocks to the group.

Beams reach their maximum at 400 damage, because nothing has more than 400 effective hp, aside from shields of course. Keep in mind that pierce and punch will not cause them to actually go through blocks like cannons, it only increases damage the same as just adding more beam blocks would. So the total number of blocks you can destroy is only 5(1 per tick). If you decide to use explosive beams the maximum is actually around ~4000 damage or so. Ideally making each explosion do 400 damage so as to instantly destroy advanced armors(a maximum destroyed block total of about 30).

As far as shields go, the most damaging weapon to use is ironically not beams or cannons but damage pulse. The pulse gets a whopping x20 multiplier with full Ion effect, which can eat shields in no time at all, however it does require you to be point blank. So let us assume a more reasonable weapon and say that cannons beat beams for a few reasons.

1. Range: Cannons by default have twice the range of beams and can travel more than a measly 500m.
    2. Reload: No matter how you slice it cannons will always reload faster than a comparable beam weapon, this means the shields have less time to recover. Less recovery time means more time spent at only 6% of your total shield regen. A huge win honestly.
    3. Cost: In energy, cannons require less cost and can be fired more readily without the additional support structure(reactors and capacitors) that beams must have to function.
    So with that in mind you can more easily swap your beams for Ion cannons. Make sure you add either punch OR pierce to your regular cannons as well, the damage you will do will skyrocket. Why will it jump? Cause punch/pierce will rollover the damage left from the first cannon hit into the block behind the first. So 90 cannons will essentially core out much of the enemies ship in short order.

Just my 2 cents.

Asvarduil

Builder of Very Small Ships
    Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    To counter act the slow firing speed make multiple sniper cannons on your ship and just switch back and forth.
    Double-Barreled Sniper Ship! Just add a warp drive or two so you can skeddadle after firing.