Two suggestions to allow planetside ship building

Status
    Not open for further replies.

MossyStone48

Cmdr Deathmark
    Reaction score
    A lot of folks would love to start on a planet and work from there to get to space. I could see this as a real boon to dedicated hardcore survival servers. So I have two suggestions that will make the job much easier.
    1. Default dock orientation should be set to facing upward when in astronaut mode.
    2. A ship of 1mass should dock suspended and centered if used in a single block dock.
    1) By default the dock orientation is forward. This means a single block docking array (the dock block alone) if placed on a flat surface without orientation would be automatically disabled. Changing the default orientation would allow the block to be placed in astronaut mode and be immediately functional.
    The caveat here being that there would be no space to build directly below the shipcore. This bring me to..
    2) So that someone can build their first ship, when docking the lone shipcore it should be hover-docked 3.5 spaces above the dock block. This gives three blocks of lee-way in all directions including directly under the under-construction ship.

A single dock block makes a 7x7x7 dockable area. User should build the entire underside of their ship first as a scaffold/mount. The moment the dock disables itself (because the ship surpassed the available dock space) the undercarriage/scaffold would allow construction to continue in the other 5 vectors. Provided the planet, wild life or other players don't get in the way. Of course a 7x7x7 pod-shuttle should be able to un-dock and break gravity. Allowing construction to continue in zero-gee. But not everyone will think of that the first time around.

Edit: With the new crafting system in place a new way of doing things came to mind. We could produce Two new blocks.
    • Scaffold Dock. An unextendable 11x11x11 dock that is always oriented upward relative to entity.
    • Flux Thrusters. Unboostable half speed cousin of the Hyperflux.
    *The Scaffold Dock: They would be larger, unextendable, center a core in dock, and easier to produce. Although its dimensions are 11x11x11, when 'docked to' the core is placed dead center at 0, 0, 0. That means you need to look up and do a hop to get into the core if you left it after docking. (Unless of course you left an easier way to get in.) The larger size gives more freedom to build but it unextendable and usable only on planets or bases. Also the parts needed to produce one scaffold would be much simpler and easily combined.
    Suggested BoP: Metal Grill, 5 Charged Circuit, Rammet Imbued Circuit.
    *Flux Thrusters: Half the speed, half the energy draw, all the acceleration. Like their Hyperflux relatives they have similar efficiency but halved in most respects. No matter how many exist on an entity the craft would never go beyond half the server speed unless genuine HF Thrusters were substituted. The bigger the ship you build the more Flux Thrusters you'll need. I would like to impress on the reader that HFT and Flux Thrusters should NOT be allowed on the same structure.
    Suggested BoP: Metal Grill, 5 Charged Circuit, Bastyn Imbued Circuit.

Although modestly easier to produce their limitations are less than appealing.

Last edited:

NeonSturm

StormMaker
    Reaction score
    • Wired for Logic
    • Thinking Positive
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Or let a ship just have 1.5 blocks below each own block. If that is not true, un-dock and immediately dock 1 block higher.

MossyStone48

Cmdr Deathmark
    Reaction score
    The trouble with that is all six sides of a dock block look the same. When I set up a 'survival mode' dock I had to use a build block to do it right.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 5
    Don't think that it's hard to make it don't look the same from every side.

Reaction score
    I marooned myself on a planet, took a long time to gather and make ship parts. When I tried to build the ship, it says the planet is in the way. HAHAHA!!!

Status
    Not open for further replies.