Read by Schine Turrets

Reaction score
    The only thing that is holding this game back for me is the lack of turret support. Nothing would make me happier to build a capital ship with turrets all over and warp in to an area to see turret fire in a 360deg arc. BUT, what we get is lackluster turrets that are too easily destroyed, and broken AI that does not fire or fires at targets behind structures. line of sight issues, and its sad when i have the ship turrets flying off the ship during game play.

1) i would like to see turrets share ALL resources from the main ship. shooting a turret means you are hitting the main ship. shields will decrease and only until you break the shields will you hit the turret.
    2) somehow fix the floating turret issue. a tad tired of watching turrets fly off the ship.
    3) AI overhaul, turrets shoot at enemies that are in range and in line of site.
    4) i would like to have a HUD or some menu i can see to better control the turrets and see how they are firing and damage sustained.

Just a few idea i would like to see implemented.

Reactions: MacThule
    Reaction score
    • Hardware Store
    1. If a turret does not have enough power to supply its weapons, it'll draw the power from the entity it is docked too.
      If a turret is damaged, while the shields of the entity it is docked to are above 50%, the damage will be absorbed by the other entity's shields.(the shield-change is more recent, and the 50% limit is there for balancing purposes, and is adjustable in the blockBehaviorConfig.xml <ShieldDockTrasferLimit>0.5</ShieldDockTrasferLimit>)[yes, there is a typo in that config]
    2. All known bugs will be fixed before the end of beta
    3. To my knowledge there are plans to improve the AI

Ithirahad

Arana'Aethi
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    Turrets mess with the balance between large ships and small ships (They negate the turnrate difference that would otherwise stop large ships from hitting smaller ships usually) so some balances have been put in place... If you don't like it you can change the configuration for your singleplayer, but having turrets get full protection in multiplayer would be a pain in the ass. (IMO, though, non-turret-docked rail stuff should absolutely get full protection.)

As for AI, yes, that does need to get a line of sight system along with other improvements... Those might come soon, or they might take a while. IDK.

Reaction score
    For balance purposes I agree with Ithirahad on turret shielding, it would be incredibly unbalanced if a turret was given the full shielding of the ship it was docked to. This would effectively make it impossible to take on capital ships in anything smaller than another capital or a very large swarm of other ships.

Perhaps if we were to investigate having the turret share shields up to a certain point that would be a good option, but I would have to hope that it would never be full shielding.

Reaction score
    • Thinking Positive
    • Likeable
    + turret AI needs to coordinate amongst turrets docked to a single entity. so that not all 12 PD turrets chase the same single missile forward to back across their arc, ignoring every other enemy signature, then all simultaneously waste time swinging all the way around to ALL chase another single target. and so that all 4 Mb turrets don't blow their payload on the same small drone approaching while ignoring the rest of an approaching fleet. they need to work as a grid.

Master_Artificer

Press F to pay respects
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Thinking Positive
    So we can all pretty much agree that OP is wrong?

Also, can we assign groups to turrets? Using A, B, C, etc etc?
    For example, I have a turret bank of my left front as A, and a bunch of turrets on the left flank as B. With select fire or something, I can have A target the other capital ship that is pounding me, and B target the bomber that is trying to get behind me and sit on my stern.

This would also require better camera control, eventually I would like to be able to pan my camera sideways and look over(or under) my ship from 20-50 blocks out to the side, and watch my turrets pound another ship to my right, and maybe even zoom in to see the damage that I am doing. Like World of Warships. And still be able to control my ship. With the current system I need like 3-4 hands to do that.

Reaction score
    • Community Content - Bronze 1
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    The only thing that is holding this game back for me is the lack of turret support. Nothing would make me happier to build a capital ship with turrets all over and warp in to an area to see turret fire in a 360deg arc. BUT, what we get is lackluster turrets that are too easily destroyed, and broken AI that does not fire or fires at targets behind structures. line of sight issues, and its sad when i have the ship turrets flying off the ship during game play.

1) i would like to see turrets share ALL resources from the main ship. shooting a turret means you are hitting the main ship. shields will decrease and only until you break the shields will you hit the turret.
    2) somehow fix the floating turret issue. a tad tired of watching turrets fly off the ship.
    3) AI overhaul, turrets shoot at enemies that are in range and in line of site.
    4) i would like to have a HUD or some menu i can see to better control the turrets and see how they are firing and damage sustained.

Just a few idea i would like to see implemented.
    You do realize you can put the turret docking system below the ships hull and just have air between it thus eliminating the turret flying off the hull issue. In fact you can make the turrets look like balls and simply have the float off of the ship so they can fire in a full 360 degrees sort of like floating orbs.

But if what you want is the traditional turret you get the risks with it. Either way you still could do stuff like put the turret dock below the hull to protect that axis.

BTW I agree the AI needs work.

Master_Artificer

Press F to pay respects
    Reaction score
    • Top Forum Contributor
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Thinking Positive
    lol... a bunch of people rated the OP as agreeing with him. How do you figure "we" "all" agree that he's wrong?
    Because a lot of people called him out on 1 and 2, but agree with 3 and 4?

Criss

Social Media Director
    Reaction score
    • Master Builder Bronze
    • Video Genius
    • Competition Winner - Stations
    Naturally over time improvements to turret AI will come around. As for shields and whatnot, it was decided that turrets would be a weak point on a ship. When it comes to their capabilities as an anti missile system for example there needs to be a tradeoff. A turret that shared the massive shield capacity of a capital ship could defend it from many missiles. It may require tweaking for sure however they are the only possible weak points on a ship now that cores do not represent the health of a ship. This will change as new systems are introduced and breakoff is enabled.

Lone_Puppy

Me, myself and I.
    Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Community Content - Bronze 2
    • Legacy Citizen 8
    I would like to see a slow reset when all enemies are defeated. Giving the appearance of power down and position reset for lockdown.