Turrets

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    Let us discuss their effectivness, good turret design, and how to implement turrets on your ships for proper use

I'll start: I have a problem with my turrets sometimes not firing if an enemy ship gets really close, it is annoying and makes it impossible to deal with multiple fighters. My ship has 10 small sized flak turrets and 3 Large array turrets but it seems useless if they won't fire.

anyone have ideas for turrets and how to possibly improve their use?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I\'ve been having problems with them firing when in \"attack target\" mode. In \"any\" mode they work a lot better than I would have hoped against pirates (I\'ve never gotten turrets to work online because my server won\'t spawn pirates for some reason).

I\'ve taken to giving them enough power blocks in a flat checkerboard array (with shields in the blank spots) for sustained weapons fire only, the rest of the space gets filled with shield blocks or AMCs. I usually add one thruster to aid in docking after buying the blueprint.

Right now I\'m running around in singleplayer with my fighter ship with a mass of 60 absolutely destroying pirates in similar size and larger size ships. The amusing part is I have no weapons apart from two autoturrets, just gotta fly well enough so the turrets can target them. Aside from some random issues I\'ve been having where they won\'t dock/nothing happens when attempting to dock, they\'re my favorite shit ever.

Also having another issue, but it\'s more looks than functionality. The turrents I have on the underside of one of the wing stubs ALWAYS dock facing backwards (turret faces to the rear of my ship), and if I enter the turret, point it the right direction, get out, it\'s fine. If I ever enter the turret again it will instantly swing back to facing the wrong direction. I guess it has something to do with how I built it or just because its mounted on the underside insead of on top, anyone know how I can fix this?

Reaction score
    Turrets are awesome :D I love using them, even though they\'re not massively effective at the moment. Having 50 odd turrets blazing away at a target looks amazing :D

Ref turrets on undersides facing backwards, there\'s nothing you can do about that I\'m afraid. It\'s to do with the way the block is rotated in order to have the docking face down.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    It looks cool though on larger ships, like the turrets are offline and facing away until combat.

but is is really annoying, I think the turrets were programmed not to fire at a vessel if it is very close, and that is bad because then fighters could just hang out and chip away from my shields behind me and my turrets wont stop em

Reaction score
    The my target mode is bad because they don\'t seem to fall back to \"any\" mode, so if you have turrets on the left of your ship and enemy on the right, they can\'t see, and thus won\'t shoot at that target. \"Any\" lets them find whatever target they can shoot at and fire away.

Reaction score
    Always have it set to any target, this helps a lot.

Don\'t make a single line of AMCs (When firing only a single shot comes out). Turrets do have terrible accuracy, so its best to have multiple weaker shots instead of one powerful shot.

Somewhat aside from the actual turret design, do not set your faction options \'treat neutral as enemy\' to true, as the turrets seem to act somewhat odd at times, i.e. attacking other turrets, the main ship and myself once.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Those shops had it coming hanging out there all willy nilly with no defenses.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    DO NOT use a missile array on a turrent it wont fire/blow itself up

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    I was getting annoyed with the stupid pirates attacking my home planet, so I made 16 turrets and placed them equidistant around my planet. It is working pretty good. I think if I were to make more turrets, they would be bigger though.

http://youtu.be/3QKIkOWbWuo

Reaction score
    I\'ve been limiting the AMC\'s on my turrets to doing 100-140 damage, since that\'s all it takes to destroy a block. After that, I just put more barrels. My main guns on my large ship does more like 300 for pounding through shields and taking out stuff like faction blocks on pirate stations. So my main turrets have four barrels, each doing about 120, potentially doing much more damage and having more spread to hit small speedy ships. Does this sound appropriate to you guys?

Is there confirmation about turret shield regen? My turrets on my main ship, that I built when I first started playing, have never really been damaged, but they have power on them. I just built a ship the other day with one turret and that turret is just getting pounded, but it has no power regen (but like 20 shield blocks). Does a turret need its own power regen to make the shields regenerate/function?

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    Is it possible to make a two-part turret where one part swivels left and right then a second turret built on the first swivels up and down? It would be like any modern turret where the whole thing doesn\'t move around to aim, but seperate parts.

I\'d imagine that any AI control couldn\'t make the first part face any enemy ship unless it could be targeted on a flat plane, effectively making it useless, but I\'m not sure.

Reaction score
    • Purchased!
    • Legacy Citizen 10
    Turrets will draw power from their parent ship or station for firing, but indeed must have their own source of power in order to support shielding, as they do not, as with any docked ship or structure, share shields with the parent ship.

Reaction score
    You can\'t have things that are docked, dock to something else

You could do two turret docks right next to each other and make them look like a single entity that can then fire separately though, it would look strange I think when firing though.

Reaction score
    • Legacy Citizen 2
    • Legacy Citizen
    In the process of building a base around a store, and I want to put defense turrets on it in case pirates show up.

When I fire the (overly large) turrets that I\'m testing atm, it\'s power goes down to zero but it continues to fire - I assume it\'s drawing power from the station, but how does it then keep it\'s shields up?

Reaction score
    You need more power regen for the turrets. I can\'t say things in 100% certainty, but shields might require power only when they try to regenerate. Also the turrets might be reloading slower than normal. As for drawing power from station, i have never seen that happen in action. (I don\'t even know how to reliably test that with indicators we have available.)

Reaction score
    Zaflis this should be easy to prove just make a turret with no power generators and attach it to a station.

Edit: If the turret shoots it is stealing power.

Reaction score
    Sadly turrets are retarded and aims like they have some kind of hand spasms, wish they had less shitty precision :/